DAP and Gypsum

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

DAP and Gypsum

Postby bcg1976 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:08 pm

Thinking of trying out the plain sugar washes that require DAP and Gypsum and have a question. Probably a FAQ. Have searched and read through but haven't seen any definitive answers.

Will DAP from a produce supplier do the trick? I can get it here (semi-rural town) at about a $1 a kilo.

Is the gypsum there just to affect the PH of the wash? If so, clay breaker gypsum from the same produce shop. Is that going to do?

Or in both cases do I need to go to a home brew shop and expect that the stuff I buy will be "food grade" at 20x the price?

Thanks in advance.
bcg1976

DAP and Gypsum

Postby Sam. » Thu May 30, 2013 12:29 pm

If your happy to concentrate something that isn't food grade then ingest it go nuts.

Otherwise you want pure DAP not fertilizer with DAP in it. It should be pure white.

As for the gypsum never used but same principle applies.

I know which way I would go.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: DAP and Gypsum

Postby bcg1976 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:37 pm

Yep, as a general rule I agree.

However, I've seen post on here that seem to suggest that the rural supplies option is ok so thought I'd ask.
bcg1976

Postby bt1 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:52 pm

+1 sam said on DAP,

gypsum is gypsum it's a mined product as pure as it's ever going to be. Some has less animal shit but essentially it's the same stuff you spread over clays. Used it plenty of times ...yep it's a pH trick...

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby bcg1976 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Ok. Thought as much on the gypsum and thought that would be ok providing I wasn't sourcing it from the walls in my house :-)

The DAP idea was put into my head over here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=199 with commenters of a pretty good pedigree.

I've seen also miracle gro mentioned on other forums!
bcg1976

DAP and Gypsum

Postby Sam. » Thu May 30, 2013 3:52 pm

Again, it is up to you what you are willing to ingest ourself and give to your family and mates
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Beginners Questions