First tpw and question on flavours

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Postby crustyshane » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:38 am

Hi, I ran my first tpw last week and ran through my air still. Having previously used turbo products this had an alcohol level a lot lower which is fine, but have a question. Out of each 4L run of turbo I would take out about 900ml at 60% roughly, but tpw I take about 700ml at about 50%. I have noticed a carry over aroma/flavour and am wondering whether this is because I am taking too much out or if I haven't let it settle enough??? I have another tpw going so want to get this one hopefully with a bit more of a neutral flavour/aroma.
Thanks Shane
crustyshane

equipment: Still spirits turbo air still

Re: First tpw and question on flavours

Postby SBB » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:15 pm

Both the difference in amount taken and ABV difference are due to the difference in the wash ABV I would think.
You could try watering the TPW down to 40% and running it again taking small cuts this time. In other words treat your first run as a strip run, do several of these, water the combined spirit down to 35- 40% run again doing cuts.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby crustyshane » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:59 pm

I do water it down to 40%, but wasn't sure if the carry over flavour was due to the fact I hadn't let the wash settle properly after fermentation had finished. Maybe on the next wash I will leave it for a few more days to let it settle???
crustyshane

Postby wolbi74 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:30 pm

HI Shane,

Had a air still for a while as well.

I always put a couple of copper pipe shackles in with my wash and found that helped with the smell/taste.

AlsoI found that filtering and airing helped.

Hope this helps
wolbi74

equipment: Pot Still

Postby SBB » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:53 pm

How much are you tossing as fores??......how much as heads, hearts and tails??
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby crustyshane » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:09 pm

Using an air still, I just use the lot till I get required amount?? Only new to this. Thought all the separation stuff was for reflux stills etc??
crustyshane

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:28 pm

crustyshane wrote:Using an air still, I just use the lot till I get required amount?? Only new to this. Thought all the separation stuff was for reflux stills etc??

Cuts will improve all stills. What comes out at the start and the end is different to what comes out in the middle. Simplest way to put it - regardless of what the manufacturers tell you.

It's tougher with such a small yield but I'd still make cuts if you can. Did you say total yield is 900mls? Then maybe split into 100-150ml lots and see if just keeping the middle cuts helps.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby SBB » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:45 pm

crustyshane wrote: I just use the lot till I get required amount??

:scared-eek: No wonder it tastes like crap, Ive never owned or run a air still, but they are a very basic air cooled pot still,
My suggestions to improve what your getting are these,
As someones mentioned, get some small pieces of copper to put in the boiler, bits of copper tube cut into very short lengths is one option. Ive been told first hand that this helps by at least two air still owners. The Theory is the copper helps with some sulphide removal, as there are no copper parts in your still every little bit will help.
Check out the newbies corner and the thread on stripping runs, this is what I was getting at in my first post, If you fill your still with 4L of 40 % you have a lot more alcohol to work with to make some reasonable cuts, You are in a way double distilling, You will never make a good drink without using the cuts method.
You need to keep only the heart of the run, forshots,heads, and tails from TPW taste......well I dont need to tell you , you've tasted it :laughing-rolling:
Toss the foreshots out from each run, Keep the heads and tails, put them away for later use, you will use them again later in your next spirit run, they still have a lot of good alc in them.
You also need to check out the cuts post by Kiwi in the newbies section. Its hard going to begin with, but read it till you understand it, then follow the instructions.
You will need to take small cuts using such a small still.
You will then be on your way to making a much improved product.
There are plenty of people here who will be happy to answer your questions as long as you do the basic ground work and learn what you can yourself first.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby crustyshane » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:16 pm

Thanks for your help guys. A lot of good info to try.
crustyshane

Return to Beginners Questions