Blending tails

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Blending tails

Postby MacStill » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:16 pm

each to their own I suppose, IMHO the tails from a bubbler are rank and there's more benefit adding them back to the next run, rather than spoiling my hard earned hearts with it :puke-huge:

But the OP was asking about pot stills wasn't he :think:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:29 pm

MacStill wrote:But the OP was asking about pot stills wasn't he :think:

Which by its very nature adds enough tails without adding yet more, just my opinion.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:04 pm

Depends where you make your cuts though, what I may see as stinky shit tails someone else might define it as slightly smeared hearts, its all up to the induvidual and what they like or are happy to experiment with. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I like a full flavoured rum/whiskey :drool: and the absence of a little tails is just too smooth for me :eusa-snooty: , but my partener in crime likes a sweet, smooth whiskey and requires different blending guidelines. I know some on other fourms that even like a little heads in their drink to offer a bite, but thats another topic :puke-huge:

TBH I have never gone so deep into tails from my pot to have the fusels visible on top, but only with rum have I found out that their there by it going cloudy when diluted to drinking strength, with which I have "cut" the oil with higher abv, aged for months and had a great drink with very valuable profile for MY liking ;-)

Thats the beauty of the hobby, if you add some tails and like it then it doesn't matter what others think, it's not like your making them do it to.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby markus » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:08 pm

bt1 wrote:Markus,

yeh sry bout the strength of my wording in post... just a tad well belted when I think??? I wrote it.

Give it a go if you like it well good enough...just keep it separate from main spirit.

gotta stop getting on the hooch and posting
bt1

:laughing-rolling: all good mate
markus

equipment: 4" FSD on keg
All copper pot still

Postby crow » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:58 am

SO now your thinking far canal so what do I do. Well you're drinking it mostly so do what tastes good to you, seems to me rougher flavors will age out (with in reason)and if its smooth as a baby arse right off the bat you might fine it a bit bland once aged but then again that is subject to the individual taste :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby markus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:36 pm

It's only a small amount of hearts I've added it too.
So if it tastes like arse in a few months than lesson learnt :handgestures-thumbupleft:
markus

equipment: 4" FSD on keg
All copper pot still

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions