"Commercial DIY" reflux still process vs TPW cuts?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Postby bcg1976 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:38 pm

Hi,

A question to check my understanding thus far when looking to do my first TPW run next week.

Is it fair to say the Still Spirits / Pure Distilling way of things is to run the still up to temp, discard foreshots and then take heads, hearts and tails holus-bolus and then rely on carbon filtration during wash and afterwards to make the end result a drinkable neutral? This then contrasts to the "non-commercial DIY" to taking cuts and then keeping hearts and then deciding what to do with heads and tails afterwards?

Just want to check I'm getting the right idea here or have I got my wires crossed.

Cheers,
Brad
bcg1976

Re: "Commercial DIY" reflux still process vs TPW cuts?

Postby blond.chap » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi mate,

Yes that is the advise given by many commercial still makers. However you are always better off taking cuts as per the guide here: http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2859. No matter whether you're making turbos, TPW, rum, whisky or anything else.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby bcg1976 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:06 pm

Does this apply to a reflux still as well?

I know it absolutely does to a pot still.

This is where I think I'm still a bit hazy.
bcg1976

Postby bcg1976 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Answering my own question here. It does having just re-read viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2860

So, back the the original one. It looks like I am on th right track. The "turbo wash" way of doing things is to take the lot and filter.
bcg1976

Postby SBB » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:21 pm

bcg1976 wrote:Does this apply to a reflux still as well?

I know it absolutely does to a pot still.

This is where I think I'm still a bit hazy.

It applies to ALL STILLS and ALL WASHES.
Dont listen to the garbage your told by retailers of these stills, or rely on the manuals provided with them. They want to make distilling look as simple as possible to maximize sales. (How they think supplying bad instructions and the gear to make bad washes will help them in the long run I dont know)
Anyone can run a still and produce rubbish, making good booze takes a lot more.
No matter how much experience you have at distilling, no matter how good the still, at the end of the day your cut choices will dictate the quality of what you drink.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby bcg1976 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:41 pm

Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to check I had it straight.
bcg1976

Postby Dominator » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:43 pm

I agree with SBB. Piss the carbon filtering off and just make your cuts properly. It removes a pointless step and you will end up with a much better product.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Return to Beginners Questions