what should i do with it

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

what should i do with it

Postby filb » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:58 am

Hi all i made up an all bran wash form H.D site i normally have pretty good success with it but this time something seems to have gone wrong the recipe i used is
5.5 kg sugar
5 cups of crushed all bran
i tea spoon of epsom salt
250 mls of malt extract (the gooeey kind)
20 ltrs 0f water
2.5 tablespoons of lowans yeast pitched at 29 deg
now i forgot to take an S.G reading (kids up my ass as usual)
i bubbled like a bastard for 5 days solid then it slowed down to 1 bubble per sec down to no bubbles at all it was kept at about 25 deg the whole time
question is when i took a reading yesterday to see if it was ready to run the S.G was at 1.040 strange as thought this means no alc present is this so it tastes as bitter as a witches tit which i believe is normal there is no sweetness to be had at all so should i run this and see what happens or split it into 2 lots add sugar,yeast and nuietrients and try kickin it in gear or any other suggestions would help
thanks all on here
filb

equipment: strange kind of coffee (yeah thats it) coffee machine !!!!!!!!!!!+
still spirits super reflux unit

Re: what should i do with it

Postby jasonc2861 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:24 am

I've boiled washes that stopped at 1.010,around there and done ok,maybe put a bit more yeast give it a stir and see what happens.thats prob what I'd do.maybe a bit of nutrients to get it goin.if it doesn't taste sweet I'd say maybe its done.maybe someone else my have better advice bud,,I'd prob just boil the sucker!not sweet,so why not. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby Kimbo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:33 pm

Hi filb, it sounds to me like there is a little too much sugar for the wash.
I normally use 5kg and no malt which will give you close to a 12% wash.
Also the crushed allbran could be giving you a false reading.
Maybe try adding some more water, see if it does anything then run it. :laughing-rolling:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

what should i do with it

Postby Sam. » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:47 pm

Put your hydro in water to make sure it's reading correct, if its not sweet at all it may be your measurement.

I would just run it and see what yield you get.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby filb » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:16 pm

OK here is what ive done ive split it into 2 separate drums added 1 cup of sugar to each and 1/2 a tablespoon of yeast to each and topped up to 20 ltrs and they both started bubbling away :happy-partydance:
Ill give it a few days and see what happens and report back :think:
hey at worst ill have 40 ltrs of low wash 7 maybe 8 % at best 40 ltrs at 12% either way ill run it next weekend and see what i have :pray:
filb

Postby filb » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:02 pm

:o Well i run my washes niether of them went any further down in S.G :shock: but i ended up with about 6ltrs of spirit will test %age tomorrow :text-imwithstupid: i was a victim of the cranky ole bloke on ebay and up till a few weeks ago after reading on here his still aint so good (i myself have had no problems with it but i have never used anything else sooooo hey :think: idid ok )
is there any way of making it better i have very little funds but i am handy and do have a few gate valves the ball type can i do somthing with these to make the sill better or just try n save for a better still any suggestions appriciated
thax guys :text-thankyoublue:
filb

Postby blond.chap » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:29 am

filb wrote::o Well i run my washes niether of them went any further down in S.G :shock: but i ended up with about 6ltrs of spirit will test %age tomorrow :text-imwithstupid: i was a victim of the cranky ole bloke on ebay and up till a few weeks ago after reading on here his still aint so good (i myself have had no problems with it but i have never used anything else sooooo hey :think: idid ok )
is there any way of making it better i have very little funds but i am handy and do have a few gate valves the ball type can i do somthing with these to make the sill better or just try n save for a better still any suggestions appriciated
thax guys :text-thankyoublue:

Put up some pictures and someone should have some advice.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Return to Beginners Questions