new build advise

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

new build advise

Postby jimbob » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:36 am

ok so ive convinced a mate to build a still with me soon and before we go ahead i was going to just pitch it to the audience (more experienced stillers out there) about my proposed setup. after shit tons of reading on your site and learning a bench about the options i think i have a reasonable plan.

Ive come from a airstill turbo background and got it down to a fine art during my uni years, gotta tell you even though it wasnt perfect the product got me in the good books with more than a couple of nursing students ha. always wanted to get into the proper game of bigger stills and now have the opportunity.

so me and my mate are going to make the same design still at the same time, that way we can develop our techniques pretty mach at the same time experiment etc and still (hopefully) have at least something good between us.

proposed setup: 3" 1.2m LM boka on a 50L keg boiler..

3" Boka;
- detatchable head and tri clamps or joiner to convert to a columnless pot for that rum!
- leibig condensor so a parrot or something can work later

Boiler;
-2kW element +
-3kW element
-sparky mate is going to throw together a 40A controller so we can fine tune on one of the elements all through the power range.

couple of Q's;
-do the elements need to be stainless?
-will an SSR controller effectively control the lower end of the power range ie 10% power on a 2kW element

also any other advice !!

sweet!
jimbob

equipment: still spirits air still... and starting a new build for a 2-3 inch boka...

Re: new build advise

Postby Bushy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:08 pm

Not much of an introduction mate.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Sam. » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:59 pm

Welcome to the forum...... :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sorry don't know much about the electric elements, except Mac stocks ones that don't explode :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Any other advise.....keep reading until your brain hurts then read some more :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby jimbob » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:24 pm

Bushy wrote:Not much of an introduction mate.

sorry bud what would you like to know? more about me?

guess im an average aussie living in Europe, got a Belgian missus and finishing off some uni shit in Belgium/renovating a house. be back in Cairns in a couple of years though and tell ya what, missing the fishing etc.

forgive me if i seem rude but i didn't know people wanted life stories.
jimbob

equipment: still spirits air still... and starting a new build for a 2-3 inch boka...

new build advise

Postby Stevem109r » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:30 pm

That's ok, they just like a hello, so hello to you.

Sent via electronic carrier pigeon :)
Stevem109r
Site Donor

equipment: HBS Reflux
Mac Pot
23lt fermenter/boiler
Keg boiler

Postby jimbob » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:35 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Welcome to the forum...... :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sorry don't know much about the electric elements, except Mac stocks ones that don't explode :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Any other advise.....keep reading until your brain hurts then read some more :laughing-rolling:

cheers mate, yeah i cant seem to stop reading on here, when i started out a while back with the little airstill i didnt know anybody doing it and never checked online for much except shops. got lead astray a bit by brewshop guys, although i did like the shop i first went to in darwin near freedom furniture. there was a fella there oaking his own bourbons and got me into a little recipe experimentation (neglected to mention my rum didnt need turbo) but hey my own fault for goin along with it. i was still getting a half decent drop for my dollar at the time.

now im keen to get into some nice nuetrals and maybe some more rum if i can find molassas here. seems pretty difficult to find cheap/without preservatives, hence the boka. if i could be sure of good molasas id prolly go straight for a pot. also the missus likes the odd vodka or flavoured drop too so always pays to keep the minister for war and finance in the good books..
jimbob

Postby bt1 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:52 pm

This just seems confused.

Boka = neutral yeh sure.. but the rum don't fit.

I'm confused, what's really important here.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby jimbob » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:28 pm

bt1 wrote:This just seems confused.

Boka = neutral yeh sure.. but the rum don't fit.

I'm confused, what's really important here.

bt1

its important to have something that produces a bit of everything flexibility is what a want from this set up. If i detune a boka wont a bit of rum flavour come through (providing i can find decent molasas here in europe!)? or is it best to construct it so i can remove the column completely?
jimbob

Postby bt1 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:32 pm

kk,

now mees on the same page cheers

plenty of joined Bokas with simple easy flange so the unpacked section can be removed and a simple pot head can then be attached.

Personally with the build effort for those two I'd go modular plater...

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Return to Beginners Questions