Sterilization

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Sterilization

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:33 am

Just wondering what people are using for Sterilization. I have used the stuff from the HBS but I dont like the price that it has on it. Just wondering if bleach would be ok and if any one on eh is using it. I cant see it being any more harm full than the gear I have been using. Just give it a good wash out after.
Thanks for any imput.
DrunkASAskunk

equipment: what i the diff

Re: Sterilization

Postby Camikaze » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:35 am

Napisan works good mate.
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby blond.chap » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:38 am

Nothing works pretty well for me...

Seriously though, when im doing beer I use Milton, same as is used for baby bottles.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby karrotbear » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:40 am

In terms of the bleach, i have definitely read somewhere that you do not use bleach to sterilize any of the distilling equipment, esp SS and copper, as it is corrosive and very bad (please correct me if I am wrong in that regards).

In terms of sterilizing fermenters I just use an iodine solution, leave it in there for a while, empty and leave to dry. Not sure if sterilization is as important with distilling as it is for beer.
karrotbear

equipment: 2" VM Modular Column (some what awesomely made by me)
2" Pot Still (poorly made by me)

Sterilization

Postby Sam. » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:50 am

Unscented bleach can be used in your fermenters just rinse them really well after.

I use a pink stain cleaner that smells a bit like chlorine but rinses well.

Once clean I sanitize with star San
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Sterilization

Postby Dominator » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:00 pm

I clean my stuff with napisan. I dont worry about sterilising my distilling gear or fermenters, boiling and +75%ABV will kill any bugs. For my beer I serialise with idaphor, which is a iodine solution.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:01 pm

Thanks Guys that gives me a good heading Im going to cole's.
DrunkASAskunk

Postby Linno » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:17 pm

blond.chap wrote:Nothing works pretty well for me...

Seriously though, when im doing beer I use Milton, same as is used for baby bottles.

:text-+1:

I used to use the pink stuff on the reccomendation of you know who - the HBS guy. I havent 'sterilized' any of my distilling gear in some time. :think:

fermenters - when finished cleaned out and rinsed with water left to dry
My BWKO has been in the fermenter for 10 months, it gets empty and then it gets full again.

still - rinse with clean water then warm water then left to dry and left under a towell till next time.

boiler - gets emptied then a rinse and clean with water and my patent pending boiler scrubber
download/file.php?id=5723&mode=view

i try and keep my stillin area clean and tidy. fingers crossed I havent had any probs with infections or the like.
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby Cane Toad » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:18 pm

:shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :greetings-waveyellow:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:19 pm

Starsan is great and a little will last a lifetime. Also I like the unscented home brand nappy cleaner or NappiSan.

I'm with blond.chap though. Beer brewing I sterilise everything in sight but stilling? Yeah I'm getting lazier and rougher as it just doesn't need the same amount of cleaning.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:11 pm

why the hell is this site logging me out every 5 minets its realy giving me the shits. Twice today I have sat down typed out a heap of shit that takes me fucking ages to do as I am not the best typer spellers around hit fuck post and then I get the fucking you need to log in shit and all my typing is lost.
DrunkASAskunk

Sterilization

Postby Dominator » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:54 pm

DrunkASAskunk wrote:why the hell is this site logging me out every 5 minets its realy giving me the shits. Twice today I have sat down typed out a heap of shit that takes me fucking ages to do as I am not the best typer spellers around hit fuck post and then I get the fucking you need to log in shit and all my typing is lost.

Are you using Internet explorer? I had heaps of issues with Explorer. I downloaded google chrome and don't have any worries now.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby waza » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:59 pm

Hot water out of the tap is all I have used for years including beer stuff fermenters and kegs. have my hot water system dialled up to 70 degrees cut out temp, never had an infection.
waza

equipment: still looking.

Sterilization

Postby kingy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:10 pm

I use napisan to clean ( unscented) I usually leave it for an hour and I'm pretty sure the water needs to be over 60°c for the sodium percarbonate to act as a cleaner.
I also use starsan it's quick and easy and cheap.
Only needs to make contact for a minute or 2 and its non rinse.
kingy

equipment: 4inch modular up to 5 plates and a packed section
50 litre 2x 2400w elements boiler
100 litre E herms brewery with a 130litre gas boiler

Postby cdbrown » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Just remember that sterilising is different to sanitising. Unless you are putting the gear in an autoclave it won't be sterile. That being said, you don't need the gear to be sterile, just clean. Sanitising helps to make sure no infections take hold especially in the early stage of ferment. My distilling gear just gets a rinse out with tap water before and after use. Fermenters get a good clean out and spray with starsan which is a no rinse sanitiser.
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:14 pm

cdbrown wrote:My distilling gear just gets a rinse out with tap water before and after use. Fermenters get a good clean out and spray with starsan which is a no rinse sanitiser.

Pretty much the same as here though I use a bit of bleach, just a cap full and not even every time. I have got a bit lax on the cleaning and had one infection
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby tipsy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:45 am

I use sodium percarbonate or sometimes bleach for cleaning.

Iodophor or starsan to sanitise.
I always sanitise my fermenters as it only takes two seconds with a spray bottle and costs 2/5ths of fuck all.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Brendan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:22 pm

tipsy wrote:I use sodium percarbonate or sometimes bleach for cleaning.

Iodophor or starsan to sanitise.
I always sanitise my fermenters as it only takes two seconds with a spray bottle and costs 2/5ths of fuck all.

I ppretty much do the same thing. Although most don't wash and sanitise their fermenters (apart from a washout with water), I don't want to risk an infection when I see the time and money that goes into creating a decent whisky wash...all that mashing and cooking...

I wash them out with sodium percarbonate (same ingredient in napisan) also, which has to be rinsed...and then use a no-rinse copper tun brewshield spray, which is just 3% peroxide and ionised water diluted down...Even when I open up my fermenters to give a whiskey wash a stir, I spray the paddle with sanitiser before it goes in. ;-)
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Kimbo » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:06 pm

I only sterilize when I get a new fermenter, even then its a quick rinse and a swish around with some foreshots.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Return to Beginners Questions