Condenser improvement question

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Condenser improvement question

Postby _TK_ » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:18 am

Hi All,

- I have ss copper artisan condenser with their boiler (have bought them before I found this forum) , I have read on forum it is a good condenser but too small in diameter and too short.. if that is correct maybe it could be improved very simply, obviously I can not increase it in diameter but it could be extended by adding extra piece of pipe in between condenser itself and boiler cap.

Could you please tell me if I could achieve better neutral product by doing this ? and/or have better option to use it as part reflux ?

My second question is: can it be used as pot still (after detuning) if it runs the same cooling water through reflux condenser and product condenser ? Would it be a hybrid (not plain pot still) after detuning ?

Any help will be much appreciated :handgestures-thumbupleft:

thanx
_TK_

equipment: bottle of rum and shot glass

Re: Condenser improvement question

Postby blond.chap » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi mate, responses in blue

tkwasik wrote:Hi All,

- I have ss copper artisan condenser with their boiler (have bought them before I found this forum) , I have read on forum it is a good condenser but too small in diameter and too short.. if that is correct maybe it could be improved very simply, obviously I can not increase it in diameter but it could be extended by adding extra piece of pipe in between condenser itself and boiler cap.
Yep, just get some 2" pipe, flange either end (search for ezy flange for the method) and put some mesh or a plate at the bottom to keep your packing in

Could you please tell me if I could achieve better neutral product by doing this ? and/or have better option to use it as part reflux ?
You will get a higher abv with a higher packed area, sorry I don't know what you mean by "part reflux"

My second question is: can it be used as pot still (after detuning) if it runs the same cooling water through reflux condenser and product condenser ? Would it be a hybrid (not plain pot still) after detuning ?
If you can't stop water flowing through the reflux condenser, then detuning won't turn it into a pot still. Yes it will be more like a hybrid pot if you run it with less cooling water (careful that there's always enough going to the PC though)

Any help will be much appreciated :handgestures-thumbupleft:

thanx
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby _TK_ » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:27 am

blond.chap thanx for advise, definitely will be looking to make this extension, but as existing condenser and boiler use tread connection with o-ring instead of clamp I think I would need tread with ferrule style connections - on one side male other side female, no idea how to DIY - do not have any experience with soldering or metal work (Mac's ezy flange tutorial looks fairly ezy though)... Ill have a look in plumbers supply shops whats available maybe could find something suitable. Will keep u posted.

By part reflux I meant that only small amount of packing will be used, a bit at the bottom (where new extension would be connected to boiler plus plate) and a bit in the middle (where extension would join existing condenser - plate as well) - I am not sure if that would do much difference, I've thought it would be good for rumbos and brandies , just drunken idea :violin:

Still spirits copper condenser does not allow to stop water flow through reflux condenser, but they marketing it as 2in1:
- reflux
- pot still
nothing said on their web but instruction and merchants said: after detuning and with temp at 60oc it works as pot still, :teasing-blah:

they sell bull shit on every occasion and loose customers (great business plan ++++): ss essences SHIT, ss chips - made me throw up after opening bag, turbos - all knows :scared-eek:

thanx for web sites like this ^:)^
_TK_

Postby bt1 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:12 am

Howdy,

how bout posting a few pics so we can get specific?

that way we know what we're dealing with.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby _TK_ » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
_TK_

Postby _TK_ » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:26 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
_TK_

Postby _TK_ » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:28 pm

pipe is 50mm

lid opening is around 48mm

tread is standard
_TK_

Return to Beginners Questions