still / distilling advise

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Postby Woodchip » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:53 am

Hi Bought my still from a HBS Shop about 8 months ago ,30litre boiler with reflux tower
The instructions given to me from my HBS was to run unit when you start getting down to 35% abv turn the unit off mix all you have collected together dilute it down to 40% run it thru
the charcoal filter twice and that’s it .. all i can get out of this unit is 78% then it drops down from there . was also told that i didn't need to pack the Colum .
Since i found this forum i am now confused as to what i should be doing some advice would be appreciated
My aim is to make a good quality spirit
should i pack the Colum / how do i get more abv out of this unit , would this tower be called a cooling management unit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Woodchip

equipment: 30l boiler with reflux tower

Re: still / distilling advise

Postby blond.chap » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:24 am

Wow, that's some of the worst running advise I've heard, go to the guide to cuts in the newbie's corner and have a read. Then have a look at the tomato paste wash in the tried and proven section.

Yep that's a coolant managed still, not the best design but you can should be able to make something reasonably neutral tasting with it.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Dominator » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:04 am

Holy shit, it's another one! Definitely packing your column will help but as it is, (even with packing) your never going to get a good quality neutral spirit.

What do you want to make? If your chasing rum, whiskey, bourbon then you will have a bit more luck with your current setup than if you are trying for vodka/neutrals.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby bt1 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:44 am

Howdy wc,

+1 on packing and if it's all stainless i'd be recommending copper scrubbies of good quality.

I started with a CM running around the low 80's as well, bit of tweaking it used to belt out well into the 90's and clean....clean depending on a good quality wash.

You'll get there give the tweaks and good wash ...look forward to hearing how it goes then.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Woodchip » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:29 pm

Thanks for the replys . I want to make vodka/ neutral i'm going to do a lot of woodchip soaking and making limoncello
going to give tpw a go will put a wash down tomorrow . anyone know where i can get some copper scrubers.
Woodchip

equipment: 30l boiler with reflux tower

Return to Beginners Questions