Heating Element

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Heating Element

Postby Tsv Stiller » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 am

Hi All,

I am very close to purchasing one of Mac's still setup's, the only thing i am unsure about is i am really not keen on having to use a gas burner. Ideally i would like a single element portable electric jobby that i could setup in the laundry where its nice an ventilated and away from prying eyes.

Any thoughts on a suitable product you guys might have seen or used?

Cheers Linc
Tsv Stiller

equipment: 2" Pot still (JayD Special)
50 liter Keg boiler
2400w electric element with Voltage controller

Re: Heating Element

Postby MacStill » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:22 am

You could always use one of these :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Tsv Stiller » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:28 am

OK thanks Mac, stupid question but i assume that is somehow installed into the bottom of the Keg that i am yet to buy to run one of your still's? My brother is an electrician so no dramas with the wiring.
Tsv Stiller

50 liter Keg boiler

Postby MacStill » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:31 am

No need to ask twice mate ;-) I answered you in the other thread :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Heating Element

Postby Dominator » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:08 pm

You really got two options. The link mac supplied, for that you will need do drill a hole and weld on the 2" ferrule supplied. If you, or you know someone who can weld stainless these are the way to go. Or you can get one of Mac's weld-less elements, drill a hole fit the element and get your brother to wire it up. This removes the need to weld on the keg and is the way I went.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Nardy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:45 pm

I went a 2200 watt element for $40. Takes a while to get to operating temp, but goes fine after that. I usually just flick it on first thing in the morning, do my usual routine and then by the time I'm ready its time to start collecting.
Nardy

Postby Tsv Stiller » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:16 pm

Out of interest Nardy do you have a link where i can check out the element you use?

Cheers
Tsv Stiller

50 liter Keg boiler

Postby MacStill » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:42 pm

Tsv Stiller wrote:Out of interest Nardy do you have a link where i can check out the element you use?

Cheers

these ones ?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby JayD » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:49 pm

Tsv Stiller wrote:Out of interest Nardy do you have a link where i can check out the element you use?

Cheers

Hey TsvStiller quality goes a long way, I recommend using this element in your keg Element for keg :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby 1 2many » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:56 pm

JayD wrote:

Cheers

Hey TsvStiller quality goes a long way, I recommend using this element in your keg Element for keg :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1:

Top gear mate can't go past it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Nardy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:36 pm

MacStill wrote:

Cheers

these ones ?

No, the new model, which fixes all the dramas with the older ones (well dramas if you're a spastic): http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3853

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Nardy

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:43 pm

I've read on the home brew forums that the "new & improved" models are frying as well :handgestures-thumbdown: :handgestures-thumbdown:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Heating Element

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:02 pm

Yup, several guys have posted photos of the new ones melting the live wires with a couple of thousand volts running through it - that's a pretty scary thought as to what happens next. Getting a refund is the least of your worries after that happens.

Your choice but consider safety ahead of saving eh?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby MacStill » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:48 pm

I have just sold 500th element and yet to have a warranty claim, they might not be as cheap as others but as usual I'm not about cheap shit.... Five Star quality is all I aim for :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Heating Element

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:59 pm

MacStill wrote:I have just sold 500th element and yet to have a warranty claim, they might not be as cheap as others but as usual I'm not about cheap shit.... Five Star quality is all I aim for :D

I am absolutely stoked with my McElements - quick heat time, great quality and I think the price is very reasonable when you consider the consequences of what might happen with the cheap rubbish others are flogging.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Heating Element

Postby Dominator » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:08 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:Yup, several guys have posted photos of the new ones melting the live wires with a couple of thousand volts running through it - that's a pretty scary thought as to what happens next.

Couple of thousand volts??? No wonder they are having issues!
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby 1 2many » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:16 pm

couple of thousand volts :)) :)) :))
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Heating Element

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:48 pm

Dominator wrote:
BackyardBrewer wrote:Yup, several guys have posted photos of the new ones melting the live wires with a couple of thousand volts running through it - that's a pretty scary thought as to what happens next.

Couple of thousand volts??? No wonder they are having issues!

D'oh no not volts! Sorry - I knew what I meant!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby Nardy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:10 pm

Err, well if your circuit has no protection against shorts then I'd be pretty worried.. Worst case, insulation melts causing a short and your circuit breaker trips..

I'm not bagging these other elements, just saying that there are options (most likely made in the same chinese factory). I've run my 2200w element for quite a while now with no signs of deterioration, your milage may vary. Good to do your research first though and see how others have found the product.

MacStill, what brand/manufacturer are yours? Would be good to know so that prospective buyers could research opinions of previous owners.
Nardy

Re:

Postby MacStill » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:18 pm

Nardy wrote:
MacStill, what brand/manufacturer are yours? Would be good to know so that prospective buyers could research opinions of previous owners.

They are FSD brand mate, and I'm not stupid enough to give my sources away ;-)

I've sold 500 units to members here without one complaint or return, and they are definitely not made in the same Chinese factory as the keg king ones that I have been offered to stock (and declined)

Might pay for you to stop making silly assumptions about my products and where they're made, well at least until you've actually tried them anyway ;-) your inuendo if taken the wrong way could be damaging to my reputation.... so if you're going to take me to task you'd best have some good ammo :handgestures-thumbupleft:

1 2 3.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Beginners Questions