General expected quantities

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Postby newbiboozer » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:30 pm

I have read enough to know that there are no hard and fast rules to say how much of heads hearts and tail you will collect. I'm just after maybe an example of what total you could expect to collect from a 25 litre wash on single run through a reflux still and after cuts how much of these would end up as heads hearts and tails. once again I know this is not something that is always the same but want to know for say an average run what I can expect to see quantity wise.
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Postby Sam. » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:27 pm

I shoot for keeping a third as hearts for nuetrel from a 40% low wines charge.

Approx a third each of heads and tails
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: General expected quantities

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:40 pm

If you got a 25L pw wash to 10% then there's only a possible total of 2.5L yes? So that's everything including fores, heads, hearts and tails. Less 150-200mls of fores that's 2.3L assuming you can extract every drop (which is unlikely to have a wash after a run with zero alcohol left)

So work for around 1.75 - 2L tops. If you were happy to keep all 2L of 95% neutral I think you'd be doing better than most off a 10% abv 25L wash. I rarely keep a full 2L out of a refluxed TPW. But I tend to be ruthless with heads and tails. Keep less, run more often.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Return to Beginners Questions