Where to get Supplies in NZ

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Where to get Supplies in NZ

Postby twobottles » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:55 am

Hello there you lovely people.

I have been wondering a few things recently. This hobby does grab you, doesn't it!

Ive been tinkering with a pure distilling 5l boiler and reflux column for a while, even making some nice drinks too but I think its time for an upgrade.

Ive read, reread and dreamed about the easy flange and think its about time I jumped in the deep end.

I acquired a very lovely 50l keg, and so far have held myself back from polishing it and making it look sexy as that's the only thing I have the skill for at the mo.

Im sourcing the 50ml pipe and tube from a shop nearby but so far am out of luck with the solder. If you are in NZ and know of a supplier and also what thickness of solder I would need I'd be grateful.

I'll be extending the column by making a tube with a flange on the bottom to connect to the keg and a female 50mm threaded fitting at the top. (hope this makes sense).

I will then screw my column into the piece that I make. Do you have any ideas on how long the extension should be? Currently my column is about 400mm in total with about 230mm of packed copper mesh below the thermometer.

Once this is completed it will be time for a pot still build which I am actually very excited about!

Also, is popping off to CRT for molasses and maize going to be ok for ingredients? $54 for 25kg blackstrap molasses, $48 for 20kg kibbled maize, steam flaked barley $29 for 25kg, do these sound like good ingredients?

Do you know of any organic molasses suppliers here in NZ, or organic rye and maize?

Many thanks in advance if you are able to answer my noobie questions

Morad
twobottles

equipment: 50 mm pure distilling reflux still, extension with extra scrubbies, now triclamped to a 50l keg with a triple ring gas burner. 2" modular shottie pot still!

Re: Where to get Supplies in NZ

Postby codieb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:40 am

Hey Mate,

Can't help you with the solder but for the extension, I have a 1m extension that screws into an artisan t500 packed with stainless steel scrubbers and have gotten 95-96%

For my supplies i have used these guys and there prices are far better than what you have quoted http://www.animalsupplies.co.nz/
codieb

equipment: Pot Still and Copper T500 with extension column

Re: Where to get Supplies in NZ

Postby kiwikeg » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:14 pm

hi ttblz,
my reply to you disappeared with the server change

I have been chucking leads on good ingredaint suppleirs in NZHere

Get your solder from M10 mega next to the Mapp gas torches or hit up a local plumber.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Return to Beginners Questions