airing

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

airing

Postby filb » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:16 pm

Hi all quick question i ran my still last weekend product was ok but i forgot to air it out. :angry-banghead: just about to chuck it on some chips and it don,t taste the same as last weekend off the still. The jars were clean and was wondering if it is because i didn,t air it and is it to late to air it now
i know that it is important to air it but is it that important that it alters the taste?
thanx :text-imwithstupid:
filb

equipment: strange kind of coffee (yeah thats it) coffee machine !!!!!!!!!!!+
still spirits super reflux unit

Re: airing

Postby Dominator » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:21 pm

Air it now. Airing lets some of the lighter alcohols out. I air mine for 24-48 hours, then I make my cuts, chuck it in a big jar or demi with oak, but I leave the lid open a crack for a week of two. Then I shut the lid and let it go.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

airing

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:19 pm

What do you mean forgot to air?

Did you seal the jars straight away? It still would have been losing volatiles and airing slowly anyway.

But yeah I would still give it 24 hours for sure before you do anything with it. Never too late to air.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Dominator » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:52 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:Never too late to air.

Unless its in you guts. Then your gonna struggle to air it. :)) :laughing-rolling:
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby filb » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:04 pm

yes i stupidly sealed the jars straight away :angry-banghead: but it seems the taste is not the same as when it came out of the still i am airing it now but do you think it will change the flavour any its not harsh just tastes different to the usual its the same recipe as always ?is does airing really make ALL THAT difference remeber i am still pretty new to this hobby, so please goo easy on me :text-imwithstupid:
filb

airing

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:04 pm

Airing makes a HUGE difference - you're accelerating the process that's takes years in a barrel.

Trust me, 48 hours air before you water it down will evaporate off a lot of nasties.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby filb » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:14 pm

thanx man for the info will let air for another 24 hrs its been airing for about 12 now and then water it down and drop it on some oak
(i got given 3 staves from a buddy that works at sirromet wines for doing some work on his car) and just cut it into small pieces so thats what i will soak it on for a month or so its already been toasted so i should water it down to about 40 odd% or a bit higher what do you guys think
Again thanx for the help :handgestures-thumbupleft:
:text-imwithstupid:
filb

airing

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:08 pm

Age on oak @ 65% mate. Water down to drinking strength after 6months if you can wait that long:-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby filb » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:19 pm

Thanx BB ill drop it on the oak tomoz for as long as i can :text-imwithstupid: 6 months is along time but hey no pain no gain right ?
just hope my liver and kidneys understand :text-lol:
filb

airing

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:31 pm

Yeah the only thing that gets to 6 months at my place is "the next batch". :-)

Just need to ramp up production and you'll be fine.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Return to Beginners Questions