Keg triclamp size

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Keg triclamp size

Postby twobottles » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:29 pm

I've measured the top of my keg and its 63mm. I'm in the process of making an extension for my reflux still that will enable me to use it on the keg.

However I flanged the 2" and hammered flat a ring of 1/4" around it and this measures 67mm. Is this normal?

I put it together and it sort of fits, I don't have a gasket just yet perhaps that will take the play out of it, I was just assuming that the keg and flange would be the same size.

Also, hopefully I can get the photo to upload, will it be ok to soft solder the fitting to the extension? I just made a short one whilst practising soldering and brazing.

Cheers.
twobottles

equipment: 50 mm pure distilling reflux still, extension with extra scrubbies, now triclamped to a 50l keg with a triple ring gas burner. 2" modular shottie pot still!

Re: Keg triclamp size

Postby karrotbear » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:28 am

I'm pretty sure for eazy flanges, the flange will always either be a little thin or wide depending on how you made it. Once the gasket is in, you can fit the triclamp and just bend or file off the parts that are stopping the clamp from, you know, clamping.

As for soft soldering, I assume you could, but from what I have read, most people here hard solder it for some extra strength.
karrotbear

equipment: 2" VM Modular Column (some what awesomely made by me)
2" Pot Still (poorly made by me)

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:14 am

I'm changing my kegs and needed a new connector.
This is for a 2 5/8" pot still
All done with soft solder/aqua safe

I put an extension into the keg for strength.
It is just a piece of 2" pipe cut to fit inside the keg and inside another piece of 2"
The rest of the pipe is to fit to the pot still.
Rough but it works :D

You still need a gasket.
Mac supplies plenty of those. Get one when you get the Tri-clamp

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby twobottles » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:39 am

I hate iPads.

Been trying to change the photo but it is always too big. So showing just the fitting and the 2", can I soft solder this? I expect to remove it and put it on a longer extension in the future. I will stick an extra scrubber in there and run the still a couple of times whilst I get a few more things sorted and work out the height I can have the extension according to the gas heater and garage roof.

Cheers for the suggestions
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twobottles

equipment: 50 mm pure distilling reflux still, extension with extra scrubbies, now triclamped to a 50l keg with a triple ring gas burner. 2" modular shottie pot still!

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:38 am

Why the Brass thread?

No need if you use the flange/tri-clamp
Or do you have something else in mind?

It can be soft soldered - keeping the brass out of the vapour path of course.

DBV
dogbreath vodka

Postby twobottles » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:22 pm

My pure distilling reflux still will screw into this fitting, the easy flange is at the bottom of this piece. Et voila, cooking on gas.

Mmmmmm, brass out of the vapour path. I think there will be a small section perhaps 8mm round the inside in the vapour path. The way the still comes off the shelf, there is a nut and part of the thread that is always in the vapour path so with this new piece there will actually be less in contact. Or, the fitting soldered to the bottom of my still is not brass?

Either way, I will learn to resize photos and add some more so that the pics can help to describe what on earth I am talking about.

Cheers
twobottles

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:42 pm

If there is brasd in the vapour path,just "tin" it with solder.Lead free of course.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby twobottles » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:50 pm

I just did a search about brass in the vapour path and discovered that as I have parallel threads on the fittings that I will need to get a washer that will compress between the two pieces. I was under the impression I would just do it up with thread tape.......

Anyone have experience of this?

I had a good play with soldering, hard and soft last night, practising on a parrot. To "tin" the brass in the vapour path I'd just rough it up with 400 grit paper then flux the whole lot and roll it on each face soldering the lowest part as it goes?

Pics soon come

Cheers
twobottles

Postby twobottles » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:19 pm

Pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twobottles

Postby twobottles » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:21 pm

Pic
twobottles

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:49 pm

:text-coolphotos:
Nice parrot dude

DBV
dogbreath vodka

Postby twobottles » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:24 pm

Cheers! Its still a bit away from being finished, the collection pipe was made from a 50x20 + 20x15 + 15x10 then I had to flare the 8mm pipe to fit the last reducer. I also made a disc of copper to insert into the bottom 50x25 reducer to err, reduce the volume of the parrot. Its so darn cold here at the moment and 10.20pm and Ive had a couple of Rum and limecello's..... but I am thinking about heading back out to the shed for a bit more tinkering!!

Yup Im off
twobottles

Postby MacStill » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:31 pm

twoturntablez wrote:Cheers! Its still a bit away from being finished

Yup Im off

You will never be truly finished, just when you think you are it starts all over again..... you're buggered now :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Beginners Questions