Keg Mods

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Keg Mods

Postby Tsv Stiller » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:54 am

Hey All,

While i am getting all my gear together for my first still, i will be using a 50ltr keg as the boiler and just have a couple of questions around the required mods;

- Is it necessary to have a fill port or is there any reason why i cant just chuck a funnel down the center hole and fill that way?

- I assume a drain tap is not essential either but just helps as then you dont need to be upending a 50lr keg to empty and clean.

I will be using one of Mac's weldless elements so i figure i might as well put a drain tap in at the same time, can i just get the required fittings/tap from bunnings?

Any tips would be welcome as i dont want to stuff the Keg up :crying-blue:

Cheers Peeps!
Tsv Stiller

equipment: 2" Pot still (JayD Special)
50 liter Keg boiler
2400w electric element with Voltage controller

Re: Keg Mods

Postby JayD » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:35 pm

Hey All,

While i am getting all my gear together for my first still, i will be using a 50ltr keg as the boiler and just have a couple of questions around the required mods;

- Is it necessary to have a fill port or is there any reason why i cant just chuck a funnel down the center hole and fill that way?

No it's not necessary, however it makes it easier to refill your keg with out removing your still from the keg.

- I assume a drain tap is not essential either but just helps as then you dont need to be upending a 50lr keg to empty and clean.

Once again it's not essential but makes it a lot easier to empty out a hot(scalding) or cold(back strain) keg as you simply place a hose or a bucket under the tap to empty

I will be using one of Mac's weldless elements so i figure i might as well put a drain tap in at the same time, can i just get the required fittings/tap from bunnings?

Probly not, you have to look at your keg as the one peice of equipment that will stay with you throughout your journey in this hobby, so it's makes sence to set it up properly from the start, then it's done.

Any tips would be welcome as i dont want to stuff the Keg up.

Hope this helps
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Andy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:32 pm

Tsv Stiller wrote:Hey All,

I run a pot still that is held on with a triclamp. its really easy for me to attach my still. and i store it disassembled. If I had a larger still, then I would consider a fill port. my funnel is a 2L coke bottle, cut in the middle.

I leave mine to cool over night and then just tip in upside down onto the lawn (my usual DWWG). Though if I was going to make, for example, a Rum and use some of the backset, then I would end up siphoning it from the still and getting a mouthful of backset, coughing, spluttering etc like I did when I ran a lemon wash. (worth mentioning that i left it over night until it was cool. If u had a tap u could use the backset whiles its still hot to dissolve the sugar and start the next generation sooner/easier). So it depends what you are going to make, and how you want to do it

if you are using a weldless element i assume you aren't going to be welding the tap on. so ur going to need to really work out how ur going to do the tap. and in that department i would be less then useless :confusion-helpsign:

Any tips would be welcome as i dont want to stuff the Keg up :crying-blue:

Cheers Peeps!
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby C2H6O » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:26 am

Tsv Stiller wrote:I will be using one of Mac's weldless elements so i figure i might as well put a drain tap in at the same time, can i just get the required fittings/tap from bunnings?

Cheers Peeps!

Hi Tsv Stiller, I am also in the process of looking at taps for my boiler and have come across these weldless taps.. Little bit of an ulterior motive to my replay as i would also like to know peoples opinions on these..

http://www.homebru.com.au/index.php?mai ... ts_id=1025

Hope this helps
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby Tsv Stiller » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:59 am

C2H6O wrote:
Tsv Stiller wrote:I will be using one of Mac's weldless elements so i figure i might as well put a drain tap in at the same time, can i just get the required fittings/tap from bunnings?

Cheers Peeps!

Hi Tsv Stiller, I am also in the process of looking at taps for my boiler and have come across these weldless taps.. Little bit of an ulterior motive to my replay as i would also like to know peoples opinions on these..

http://www.homebru.com.au/index.php?mai ... ts_id=1025

Hope this helps

They look good mate, although i obviously have no knowledge on the practical application but they certainly look like a tap :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Tsv Stiller

equipment: 2" Pot still (JayD Special)
50 liter Keg boiler
2400w electric element with Voltage controller

Return to Beginners Questions