A recipe to drink immediately

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Postby Tsv Stiller » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:21 pm

Just curious for some suggestions on a first wash, now that i am nearly ready to put my first one down i refuse to buy store bought alcohol but obviously i dont want to make a first batch then look at it aging for another however long, so its likely my first batch will be consumed rather quickly.

I am thinking of doing a TPW split between to 27litre beer fermenters, once ready i will run it and then flavor it somehow. Any suggestions on this, essences maybe or perhaps leaving it alone and just mixing on the pour? I like bourbon so will definitely look at oaking and aging etc but that can wait a bit :D

Maybe this is the better question;

You just lost all of your alcohol stocks, you have a party planned in two weeks with no Hooch! :o What do you make??

~x(
Tsv Stiller

equipment: 2" Pot still (JayD Special)
50 liter Keg boiler
2400w electric element with Voltage controller

Re: A recipe to drink immediately

Postby blond.chap » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:44 pm

I recon you need to make up some TPW, run it through a reflux still then make a liqueur with:
- Berries
- Lemons
- Maple, golden syrup, molasses, honey
- Pomegranate (talk to ByB)
- Cream, eggs and stuff to make irish cream
- Anything else edible (maybe not meat)

You could also do gin, though that's ideally best left for a month before drinking.

I personally wouldn't touch essences, someone once said comparing bourbon to bourbon-essence-neutral is like comparing orange cordial to orange juice.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Tsv Stiller » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:50 pm

Thanks Blondchap,

I have a beautiful pot still that JayD has made me so no reflux but will just be going i suppose for the most neutral i can to start with and then do like you mention and mix some flavors together.

I will have to have a crack at at least one Bourbon essence, i have it on good authority there is one decent product on the market.

Cheers Mate
Tsv Stiller

50 liter Keg boiler

Postby Andy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:07 pm

not too sure what TPW through a potstill is like.

my suggestion is in a pinch DWWG through a pot still then essence through it makes a drinkable bourbon and coke. DWWG on oak for 1 week then essence is a drastic improvement.
the essences i use is Edwards scrub, Edwards green creek. have also used SS Tennessee for my run which was a rushed un-oaked first bottle- was happy with it (but now i probably wouldn't be haha)
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Tsv Stiller » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Great suggestion Andy,

In hindsight i should have mentioned it was a pot still up front, but yeah thats exactly what im after is most suitable wash, flavors etc.

Thanks again!
Tsv Stiller

50 liter Keg boiler

Postby blond.chap » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:37 pm

Some guys have reported that you can get a reasonably neutral spirit from double distilling TPW.

Take my thoughts on essence with a grain of salt, I've never tried them, just heard lots of bad things. If you have a pot still it's really easy to make real rum and bourbon so I haven't had a use of them. Bourbon seems to become fairly drinkable after a few weeks, provided you make good cuts (also probably need to double distil).
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Tsv Stiller » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:50 pm

I might even do two 23 litre batch's, one DWWG and the other TPW and see how i go.

I am going to document the whole thing up here from first wash through to running it as a kind of end to end diary with photo's. Hopefully other beginners will get something out of seeing the process end to end from a beginners perspective.
Tsv Stiller

50 liter Keg boiler

Postby crow » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:09 pm

Tsv Stiller wrote:I might even do two 23 litre batch's, one DWWG and the other TPW and see how i go.

I am going to document the whole thing up here from first wash through to running it as a kind of end to end diary with photo's. Hopefully other beginners will get something out of seeing the process end to end from a beginners perspective.

nup I wouldn't, You want a quick drink do multiple concurrent ferments of a sugarhead whiskey and in a week you can strip and run the lot in one afternoon. this will be your best way to achieve your aim with a pot still :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bt1 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Howdy,

A weetbix wash for mine it has 10% of the base flavour, ferments in a few day, 2 runs through a pot, charred oak for colour and at least some flavour and your done.

cheap, fast and dam nice.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Tsv Stiller » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:13 pm

Thanks heaps everyone,

So many choices, um i want to try them all!

:clap:
Tsv Stiller

50 liter Keg boiler

Postby Sam. » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:03 pm

Just don't set your expectations too high.

Patience really is a virtue.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:36 pm

If you want to go essences, I would recommend 2x Still spirits "Rye whisky" to 1x Bodines Sour Mash Bourbon".
I have tried most essences and this is the closest to a Jac Daniels.
Oh , and add it to 4.5 liters not 6.75 ,essences are weak. @40% of course.

Also probably need to carbon filter too if you want to clean up the nuetral first

Like the others said , don't expect myricals but it will get ya pissed.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Tsv Stiller » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:01 pm

crow wrote:
Tsv Stiller wrote:I might even do two 23 litre batch's, one DWWG and the other TPW and see how i go.

nup I wouldn't, You want a quick drink do multiple concurrent ferments of a sugarhead whiskey and in a week you can strip and run the lot in one afternoon. this will be your best way to achieve your aim with a pot still :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hi Crow,

Can you elaborate on what you mean exactly mate, how would i actually go about this and over what time period?

Cheers
Tsv Stiller

50 liter Keg boiler

Postby crow » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:29 pm

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6
Just do enough of it to be able to do a couple of strips and a spirit run say at least 100 ltrs for a keg boiler would be perfect
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Tsv Stiller » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:58 pm

crow wrote:http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6
Just do enough of it to be able to do a couple of strips and a spirit run say at least 100 ltrs for a keg boiler would be perfect

Yeah ok so with my two fermenters do one batch as per Mac's instruction and when that is ready strip it and store it, then put another batch on and do the exact same thing. The combine both stripped batches for the spirit run?

If i am correct in my assumption why not spirit run the first batch by itself? IS that because if i wait and combine both stripped runs i will have more volume and end up with more end product? or a better end product?

Sorry if i am sounding stupid 8-}
Tsv Stiller

50 liter Keg boiler

Postby vsboost » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:08 pm

Not stupid at all,

The idea behind it is that you gather different flavours as you move along your generations so when you combine all your stripped runs together and then do a massive spirit run you get flavour consistency in your final product.

Also its good feeling to see all that drinkable spirit :handgestures-thumbupleft:
vsboost

equipment: Pot Still, 2" Boka

Postby Tsv Stiller » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:10 pm

Cheers VS, i got ya!
Tsv Stiller

50 liter Keg boiler

Postby Sam. » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:44 pm

It is also for efficiency, stripping as you go then a big spirit run in the end will be less overall effort.

Also this way you are double distilling your product :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Beginners Questions