Solder suggestions

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Solder suggestions

Postby C2H6O » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi all just a quick question about solder. I will be having a go at modifying my old still this weekend and will be armed with an old propylene torch (bernzomatic when they were sold by Lufkin). I have tried this torch with 2% silver solder sticks from Bunning’s and the burnzomatic lead free soft solder and had substantially better results with the 2% silver solder. Everything tells me that this is alright to use but figures I better ask anyway? Also while I’m annoying you :oops: , digital thermometers can anyone recommendation one for a 2” column (LM) and then another for 1.5”pipe (VM).

Cheers
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Re: Solder suggestions

Postby Camikaze » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:31 pm

For thermos, I use Dick Smith ones. They are tops. Can't find it online ATM but they cost about $20 Seal it with teflon tape in a bit of 1/4" soldered into the column. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
thermo.jpg

Solder? Dunno. I used bernzo and Aquasafe. Both are awesome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby blond.chap » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:35 pm

Hey mate,

It's worth differentiating between lead free soft solder, and silver brazing alloy (also called silver solder), as they've quite different to use. They're both safe for our purposes.

The main difference is temperature required, soft solder needs fairly low temps, while silver brazing needs higher. The disadvantage to silver brazing is that it softens the copper that you're working on (due to the higher temp), however it makes a stronger join. I find silver brazing a bit easier than soft soldering, as it doesn't need the same level of cleaning and works without flux. If you want to give soft solder another go, you need to clean, flux and keep the heat off the join. Have a look here: http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2931

Also, if you want to soft solder, use a roll of this stuff rather than bernzo (its cheaper and I find it runs easier): http://www.cagroup.com.au/Aquasafe_100.asp

Another option for thermometers is these:
http://www.esbrewing.com.au/pure-distilling-spare-digital-thermometer.html
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby C2H6O » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:50 pm

Perfect guys, once again some great information. I was pretty sure it should be fine, but its free to ask and I'd hate to end up drinking something tarnished (without booze that is). Ive got a tub of flux some sticks of 2% and some time on my hands.. Pretty excited about banging away at some copper.

Thanks again
C2H6O

Postby Camikaze » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Good luck dude. Tis very theraputic. ;-)
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby Sam. » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:00 pm

C2H6O wrote:Pretty excited about banging away at some copper.

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Kimbo » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:22 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:

:law-policered:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Thermometer suggestion

Postby cps1 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:35 am

I tried a couple of digital thermometers but they were not rated above 65 degrees

I ended up buying 5 on ebay for about $1 each + $5 postage for the lot from Hong Kong

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-LCD- ... 460b2b5dce

I have one attached to the boiler so I can see how the thing is heating up, one at the top of the column and one in the water outlet for the condenser so I can regulate the water supply.

It's hard to believe the price but so far so good
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cps1

equipment: 35 litre riveted copper pot still

Postby C2H6O » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:54 am

sam_and_liv wrote:

Ha ha cant believe i didn't pick up on that... Nice work... :))
C2H6O

Return to Beginners Questions