2" Pot still planning

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

2" Pot still planning

Postby guerd87 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:05 pm

Hi everyone,

Time has come to build my still. Ive got a plumber mate helping me build the whole thing so im just gathering info so I can tell him what I need.

Boiler: 50L CUB style keg. I will be getting a weldless element for it, Should I just go max that a single circuit can handle? I think thats around 2500W or similar?

Also, is there somewhere that sells a weld on stainless kit for a 4" sight glass? Or is that something that FSD cold put together for me?

For the still head itself I have drawn up a crude sketchup diagram and hopefully can try to explain it.

still.jpg

still1.jpg

Straight out of the keg I have 500mm of 2"copper
Into a 2" 90degree elbow.
From here have a 2" to 1" reducer
Short run of 1" copper with a 1" union on it to adjust condenser angle and to pack it away
After the union, 1" 90degree elbow again
Small run into 1" to 1 1/2" reducer. The 1 1/2" outer jacket on the liebig will be 600mm
Another 1" to 1 1/2" reducer right at the end and where the still finishes

From what I have read around this setup will work fine, im just not quite sure if I have the sizes right in regards to riser length and liebig length?

Should I go straight from 2"to 1" and continue that to the end, or will I see better results going 2" to 1" through the union, and then dropping down to 3/4" with a 1 1/2" jacket through condenser?

I cant seem to find any reducing tees in the sizes i am thinking of using. What is the most common size liebig? might make it easier to find reducing tee for the water input.

Last question. Does anyone sell an actual 2" Ferule kit that I can just solder onto the bottom of my riser and clamp on?

Cheers,
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
guerd87

equipment: 2" Pot Still over 50L Keg Boiler

Re: 2" Pot still planning

Postby Kimbo » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:51 am

Hi John,

guerd87 wrote:Hi everyone,

Time has come to build my still. Ive got a plumber mate helping me build the whole thing so im just gathering info so I can tell him what I need.

Boiler: 50L CUB style keg. I will be getting a weldless element for it, Should I just go max that a single circuit can handle? I think thats around 2500W or similar?

Also, is there somewhere that sells a weld on stainless kit for a 4" sight glass? Or is that something that FSD cold put together for me? Yep, FSD can do that for you

For the still head itself I have drawn up a crude sketchup diagram and hopefully can try to explain it.

still.jpg

still1.jpg

Straight out of the keg I have 500mm of 2"copper
Into a 2" 90degree elbow.
From here have a 2" to 1" reducer
Short run of 1" copper with a 1" union on it to adjust condenser angle and to pack it away
After the union, 1" 90degree elbow again
Small run into 1" to 1 1/2" reducer. The 1 1/2" outer jacket on the liebig will be 600mm
Another 1" to 1 1/2" reducer right at the end and where the still finishes

From what I have read around this setup will work fine,Yes it will im just not quite sure if I have the sizes right in regards to riser length and liebig length?

Should I go straight from 2"to 1" and continue that to the end, or will I see better results going 2" to 1" through the union, and then dropping down to 3/4" with a 1 1/2" jacket through condenser? It wont make any difference to the performance, the smaller the fittings.... the cheaper they are

I cant seem to find any reducing tees in the sizes i am thinking of using. What is the most common size liebig? might make it easier to find reducing tee for the water input.this works well

Last question. Does anyone sell an actual 2" Ferule kit that I can just solder onto the bottom of my riser and clamp on?Again, FSD, Midway Metals, Geordie :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers,
John
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Return to Beginners Questions