Bubbler... tell me i need it in my life

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Postby haze » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:09 am

Ive started the hobby on a 3" boka and its great but im realising some of its limitations. Im also realising im gonna have this hobby for few years so i wanna have something that will last and give me best results/flexibility.

I know lots people here go on about the bubblers so i gotta get my head around it all. I know nothing, is there a good page or book to start from.

Not askin for spoon feeding. Just point me in a direction

Perhaps if someone knows a a link to a design or even just principles of it.

Can i build a 6 plate 4" bubbler head in copper for $500 ? or am i wayyyy off. Do i even want 6 plates i have no idea.

Cheers, haze
haze

equipment: 3" boka SS, 50lt keg, copper scrubbers,insulated column, 1/4" takeoff, 2 x 2200w elements with heat controller

Re: Bubbler... tell me i need it in my life

Postby crow » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:23 am

All o can suggest is take a look in plated columns and some of the great threads in there but I'm sure you have so take a look in the libary as there is some good reading for you there as well :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Dominator » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:46 am

This thread has some good info on how a bubbler works. viewtopic.php?t=3972
Be sure to read the link in that thread as it has a great explanation on how multiple distillation works.

There is some info on ballpark costs in this thread. viewtopic.php?t=4094

As for number of plates, that is generally personal preference. More plates = higher ABV and less flavor. 4 plates is good for heavy flavor, rums etc. 5 plates for lighter whiskys etc and 6-8 plates for neutrals. Some people now use packed sections filled with volcanic rock to scrub more flavor from the distillate. 6 plates and a 500mm+ packed section should get you a decent neutral.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby bt1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:00 am

Howdy haze,

its great but im realising some of its limitations

A lot of us have been through this phase bloke. Trouble is once you see it for what it is, you won't be happy and must move on.

Bubbler? yep cos currently its the best solution we have to a variety of needs, conditions, washes and drink prefs. On plates consider 4/5 base plates and made the additional plates and rock filtering section modular, maintaining max flexibility for drink prefs.

Two of the best reads, the complete distiller cos its nice and light, covers most concepts of a variety of stills.
http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1841

This one, inside a column cos it gets right into the mechanics of a bubbler, won't drown you in maths, there is a bit but worth the time understanding it not just reading it...you know what I mean.
It covers vast territory from entrainment principals, to optimal design. I reckon for a cluey ppl going down the bubbler track it should be required reading.
http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1845

combine build threads to get a practical insight, final design for building and your done.

$500, yeh around the mark given what you already have. here's just one of many link for a personal build that suits your budget.

http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4102

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby haze » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:13 pm

Exactly what i need :-D thank you

Stoopid questions will come and then a build thread i hope
haze

equipment: 3" boka SS, 50lt keg, copper scrubbers,insulated column, 1/4" takeoff, 2 x 2200w elements with heat controller

Postby crow » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:14 pm

Good one haze, yep share the journey :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby SBB » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:42 pm

haze wrote:Can i build a 6 plate 4" bubbler head in copper for $500 ? or am i wayyyy off. Do i even want 6 plates i have no idea.

I reckon you have bucklies, unless you can access free copper pipe , free needle valves and free reducers and other fittings. Look at around double that using all new materials.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby crow » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:08 pm

Double might be going a bit far. You don't "need" needle valves and gate valves are like $6. Never used second hand copper can be found for much cheaper, maybe even the fittings.
crow

Postby dogbreath vodka » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Using materials from the scrap yard, doing all the work myself and buying the fittings from Mac.
Mine will come in around the $1K mark.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3943
Still cheap considering

Oh and I've still got to buy the reservoir and pump and fittings and....
You get the idea.

Buy the bits over time and it will be less painful and the Missus mightn't notice :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:30 pm

If the budget is going to even nudge $1k then it's really really worth considering buying a FSD bubbler from Mac and just getting to stilling ASAP.

I can't build and get no joy from trying (many of our expert members do, and churn out fabulous work and I love looking at their pix) but once it gets over $1k plus labour it may be worth just going pre-fab stainless deliciousness from Mac?

You could get to fermenting rather than building while you wait for delivery.

By all means build away, but ask yourself why you're building. And if you do build a bubbler - post pix!
:-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby dogbreath vodka » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:26 pm

Hey BB
I respectfully disagree.
Half the fun is the build.
You get an individual still that even you aren't 100% sure what it will look like.
Making stuff is not easy but damn.... when you finish you can say "I did that!!"

I've never built anything like a still before and have had a ball.
You learn masses about still design and how things have to be to work.
It's putting your theory into practical.

Anyway - that's my take on it.

Plus the $1K includes stuff I can use on other projects or add-on parts for the bubbler.
In my case I have 800mm of 6" as well :twisted: :twisted:

DBV
dogbreath vodka

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:33 pm

:text-+1: DBV

and this is also very useful advise "Buy the bits over time and it will be less painful and the Missus mightn't notice :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: "

A Mapp gas torch and solder and other tools and drill bits ,add another few hundred.

For some ,its all about the distilling,for me ,I love the making and the thinking about the making.

I probably don't need a bubbler but I need the challenge on all levels ,hell ,it might even make some good liqueur :handgestures-thumbupleft: too
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Hill » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:53 pm

Sorry guys I'm with back yard, for all the effort you will go through just get a FSD, look at it this way 1 bottle per month is $480 of cheap shit, and that's if your not to much of a piss head so the thing pays for its self I'm 1 to 2 years. My therory is if you older a FSD it will be at your door in 4 to 6 weeks u can get a wags down in 3 to 4 and run straight away and you have the best service in town so you can run it right sooner.
Hill

equipment: 5 Plate Bubbler with 600mm rock section
4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby MacStill » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:25 pm

However one goes about getting there was not the question, even if the answer to that question is yes... I'm telling you, you do need a bubbler in your life.....

Nothing else matters :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:25 pm

Yep, it's horses for courses here. Just wanted to put my opinion forth.

I love watching builds and admire those that can, but for me the fun comes from washes, runs, flavours, aging, ingredients, storing...not building.

If there are others that would rather build then I will cheer them on and watch with enjoyment...but building ain't the only way to go is all I'm saying.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby dogbreath vodka » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:34 pm

Yep horses for courses.
The great part of this hobby is there are so many areas to learn that it takes a damn long time to get through it all

Making is fun
Fermenting is fun
distilling is fun
Aging is ....
drinking is ....well you get the idea.

:teasing-tease: :teasing-tease: :D

DBV
dogbreath vodka

Postby Hill » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:39 pm

I'm with Mac you need it!!! Right now if mrs gave me a choice I would choose the bubbler. :laughing-rolling:
Hill

equipment: 5 Plate Bubbler with 600mm rock section
4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby MacStill » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:45 pm

If you dont like tools & building things yourself I've done all the hard work for you, some people just simply want the best they can afford without all the stuffing around of trying to source & build in the couple of hours a week they get free in this busy life.

So in this regard you can buy the best gear available and hop to it, from someone who's been playing with these stills from their inception at a hobby level.

Sourcing the gear and building your own is fun too, if you have the time and/or are short of funds, either way gets you there.... choose your path and follow it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The most important thing of all to remember is, and you should be asking yourself is.....

"am i capable of building it properly, or do i get one i know is"

1k is a lot of money to spend on a stuff up, or just another project that gets too hard... ah it's ok I'll just PM mac :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby dogbreath vodka » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:50 pm

Not to hijack the thread but...
I planted some Wormwood a month ago...
Expecting to harvest some time next year.
Just to make absinthe..
See you even get to add gardening to the distilling as part of the hobby.
:D :D :D

DBV
dogbreath vodka

Postby db1979 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:52 pm

Yummyrum wrote: but I need the challenge on all levels ,hell ,it might even make some good liqueur :handgestures-thumbupleft: too

:text-+1: Did someone say challenge? Shit, I'm the type of guy that has to try and carry twenty things at once when ten is realistic, but just to see if I can. I built a bubbler partly because I wanted to see if I could... And other than making awesome tasting booze I had an amazing experience trying to problem solve all the build issues as they arose. But that's just me.

Haze, good luck which ever way you go! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Next

Return to Beginners Questions