Keg cleaning after rum strips

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Keg cleaning after rum strips

Postby twobottles » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:39 pm

So I did a couple of rum strips (30l) and rinsed out the keg but it appears to have a brown burnt looking stuff on the bottom of the inside. I've rinsed it out lots and lots and left water in there overnight, when I poured the water out its nice and clean, and the keg doesn't smell either.

I searched cleaning kegs after rum rums and didn't find ant threads about this, I don't think the inside looked like it does when I first started to use it but can't be sure.

Is it normal to have to clean gunk off your keg after stripping rum, or normal to just rinse it out?

It's the weekend and I'm looking forward to a spirit run on tpw and a couple more rum strips but I don't want to flavour the tpw with burnt crud from the rum(if it even is burnt crud andnotjustadirty bottom)

Cheers
twobottles

equipment: 50 mm pure distilling reflux still, extension with extra scrubbies, now triclamped to a 50l keg with a triple ring gas burner. 2" modular shottie pot still!

Re: Keg cleaning after rum strips

Postby crow » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:50 pm

there is a thread on it by mullamulla with pictures but I don't know what its called. Anyway basically wire a scrubber to a stick and that will work, alternatively you could attach it to a rod and use a drill :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby twobottles » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:54 pm

Yeah that's awesome, scrubber on a broom handle did it in seconds cheers looks like its all on for tonight!
twobottles

equipment: 50 mm pure distilling reflux still, extension with extra scrubbies, now triclamped to a 50l keg with a triple ring gas burner. 2" modular shottie pot still!

Postby Camikaze » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:56 pm

Can also chuck a length of chain or a handful or two of blue metal into it and roll it around a bit.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby crow » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:08 pm

took me 25 min to find, feel special :laughing-rolling:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1954&p=25697#p25697
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby twobottles » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:59 pm

many thanks, i got it pretty clean, but not brand new sparkling clean. Good read that there crow, cheers. Tigbrush looks like sweet piece of kit.
twobottles

Postby kelbygreen » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:09 pm

maybe half a quarter of pure sodium percarbonate and hot water? should clean just about anything without scrubbing
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby SBB » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:38 pm

Could just throw the next wash in and get a bit of extra flavour ;-)
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:54 pm

SBB wrote:Could just throw the next wash in and get a bit of extra flavour ;-)

EFF YEH :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Best rums I've done came from the mankiest keg :drool:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:21 pm

Ya might need to build a wooden boiler Mac, so as it can get real manky :teasing-tease:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:32 pm

SBB wrote:Ya might need to build a wooden boiler Mac, so as it can get real manky :teasing-tease:

Oh no, here we go again x_x

Stick it to em crow, reckon you could start a splinter group ? :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:36 pm

Wood knot suggest that Mac he might just do it.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:43 pm

SBB wrote:Wood knot suggest that Mac he might just do it.

Yeah but I heard he was getting board because he's trying to nail something, but she wooden have anything to do with it :happy-partydance:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby kelbygreen » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:45 pm

I havnt scrubbed my keg yet just rinse it out lol.
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby SBB » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:12 am

MacStill wrote:Yeah but I heard he was getting board because he's trying to nail something, but she wooden have anything to do with it

All that wood and no nailing going on, sounds rather frustrating.

kelbygreen wrote:I havnt scrubbed my keg yet just rinse it out lol.

Yeah mines the same Kelby, as a newbie it worried me, rinse and run is the order of the day for me now.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby twobottles » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:00 pm

wouldnt it be funny if I had a wooden tit. wouldnt it?
twobottles

Postby crow » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:40 pm

Well aren't yaz just hilarious :hand: I've said it before and I'll say it again if someone wants to replicate a naval rum the only way they will ever achieve it is with a wooden boiler and the first time my bank account is printed in black for a whole week I'll bloody well prove it :obscene-birdiedoublered: :teasing-tease:
crow

Postby TBone » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:38 pm

twobottles wrote:So I did a couple of rum strips (30l) and rinsed out the keg but it appears to have a brown burnt looking stuff on the bottom of the inside. I've rinsed it out lots and lots and left water in there overnight, when I poured the water out its nice and clean, and the keg doesn't smell either.

I searched cleaning kegs after rum rums and didn't find ant threads about this, I don't think the inside looked like it does when I first started to use it but can't be sure.

Is it normal to have to clean gunk off your keg after stripping rum, or normal to just rinse it out?

It's the weekend and I'm looking forward to a spirit run on tpw and a couple more rum strips but I don't want to flavour the tpw with burnt crud from the rum(if it even is burnt crud andnotjustadirty bottom)

Cheers

http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/PBWTech.pdf

Get some pbw dude..it will clean up your boiler a treat.

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=2536
TBone

equipment: 5 Star Mac 4 SSG
50L keg boiler
Grainfather brewing system

Return to Beginners Questions