Heat in reflux colomb.

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Heat in reflux colomb.

Postby jasonc2861 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:17 pm

When I did a cleaning run with vinegar the steam shot up the still realy quickly,was hot at the bottom then whoosh,,friggen hot as,steam coming out etc followed,,,my question is,I'm doing 2 casks of wine with a splash of water,should I turn my water on a bit early before it hits say 50dgs.??maybe for safety,??i could blow air through the still so its not plugged up or anything,,just a bit worried as its the first spirit run since I extended the still to 110cm in length...
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Re: Heat in reflux colomb.

Postby JayD » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:25 pm

I turn my water on as soon as I light the gas on my unit we keep touching the column from the top down to see where the heat is...you know cause you can not keep your hand there, we call fugg off hot ! and it travels quick...
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:36 pm

:text-+1: what jayD said.Cooling water flow should be checked and switched on before powering up boiler.Shit will happen otherwise.I leaned this the hard way and had flames leaping up the side of my still.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby jasonc2861 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:38 pm

JayD wrote:I turn my water on as soon as I light the gas on my unit we keep touching the column from the top down to see where the heat is...you know cause you can not keep your hand there, we call fugg off hot ! and it travels quick...

Geezuz cheers man!was feeling it as it was rising ,shit it was bloody quick man!lucky I turned the water on early :shifty:,,,,,cheers..running good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

Postby jasonc2861 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:44 pm

Dam just had to abort!the bloody pump was pulling the still a bit and this nut and silicon seal or whatever it is,if the nut is screwed on the wrong way it tightens but isn't all the way,,so it loosened and the still started leaning to the right,a little vapor was escaping,,I'm guessing anyway as surely it wasn't pressure the temp was stable,,,have to wait for it to cool so I can check the nut tightness theory...arrrgggg,,I had me hand on the fire extinguisher and the ipad!!
jasonc2861

Postby jasonc2861 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:49 pm

I think I over tightened the nut as the seal was squashed ,re tightened it a bit looser,,back at it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

Postby Sam. » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:49 pm

How did this turn out Jason? Did you throw your ipad at it? :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby jasonc2861 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:40 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:How did this turn out Jason? Did you throw your ipad at it? :laughing-rolling:

Ran a tpw wash yesterday,got nearly 4ltrs of smooth as hell neutral from a 25 ltr wash!just cut it to 40% alc,adding that 60cm part to the pure distill column was a good upgrade for this still I recon.id recommend it from what I know,,the temp stayed at 78.0dg the whole run.turn the cooling water on nice and early too is the tip. :handgestures-thumbupleft: but it went so good :handgestures-thumbupleft: and yer I'd chuck the ipad at it if it caught fire :laughing-rolling: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

Postby Sam. » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:19 am

Good to hear :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Beginners Questions