cook off

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

cook off

Postby yetti » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:18 am

by reading this forum I have learnt a lot but I was still wondering if someone could tell me step by step the right way to cook of a corn/rye/malt wash in a 2" pot still?
yetti

equipment: reflux and pot with 30L electric boiler

Re: cook off

Postby r.c.barstud » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:12 am

yetti wrote:by reading this forum I have learnt a lot but I was still wondering if someone could tell me step by step the right way to cook of a corn/rye/malt wash in a 2" pot still?

Ok, so you will need to get the required amount of grain to get the proper ratios from starch to sugars so that they can be converted at the correct balances, this can be done by using various ways, as a rule of thumb its 1 kilo of grain per 4 liters of water. The percentages will vary from recipe to recipe.
Corn: is the main ingredient in whiskey/bourbon. The correct crack is 5-6 pieces, but in reality it don’t matter, as long as you expose the white centre of the kernel, it will work
Rye: is the second main ingredient for whiskey/bourbon, the crack is not real important, as long as the white centre is exposed
Barley: is the grain that converts the starches (white centre) into sugar. The barley will need to be malted and the variety of the barley will also need to be taken into consideration, 2 row or 6 row.
2 row has 2 rows of seeds on the seed head of the plant and 6 row has 6 rows of seed on the seed head, 6 row has a higher enzyme value and will have a better conversion factor, if 2 row barley is all you can get, add beano, (beano is a cultured bacteria to stop farts)
Once you have got the required amounts of grain, keep them separate and crack them and keep them separate from each other.
The reason for separation is that the saccharification (cooking) temperatures will be different from each other, especially barley, if the barley gets too hot it will be denatured (killed)
Lets say you want to make some Makers Mark, (this is the mash bill for Makers Mark).
You will need:
70% corn
16% wheat
14% barley malt (6row)
Crack corn first, I always use whole corn kernals, you can get all sorts of space junk in pre cracked corn, however, pre cracked corn works just fine.
Soak the cracked corn in a clean bucket and stir to remove and dry spots (clumps). Dry spots can lead to infections and stuff things up right from the start.
Do the same for the wheat and barley, remember to keep the grains separate from each other (each grain in its own bucket)
Corn has a saccharification temperature 62 deg C – 78 deg C about 68 deg C is optimum
Wheat has a saccharification temperature 52 deg c – 66 deg c 64 deg c is optimum
Barley has a saccharification temperature 64 deg c – 66 deg c 65 deg being optimum
I add the soaked cracked corn to about 2 litre of water in my cooker, I use a beer keg with the top cut out and bring up to 68 deg c and do an iodine test to see if I have the correct conversion.
Once I have the correct conversion, I bring the temps down to 65 deg c and add the wheat and stir that through the corn for about an hour and iodine test that, it will get very thick, like porridge. And keep the temp at a constant 65 deg C
I then add the barley and stir that through the corn and wheat mix for about ¾ to 1 hour.
Turn off heat, cover with blankets and leave it for about 8 hours (usually over night)
Add to fermenter, top up with water, pitch yeast at 29 deg c and walla
r.c.barstud

equipment: Gas fired 50 litre pot still (common head) and 18 litre thumper.

Postby markus » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:41 am

Nice little write up there RC. I haven't used rye in any recipes yet.
I'll be copy and pasting that one.

Cheers Markus
markus

equipment: 4" FSD on keg
All copper pot still

Postby Bushy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:55 am

You just got a burner under that keg with the top cut out?
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby r.c.barstud » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:59 am

Bushy wrote:You just got a burner under that keg with the top cut out?

yeah cobber, you will need to stir the contents non stop or it will stick and burn, not cool. if you can get like a helper it makes things easier :handgestures-thumbupleft: , i am in the process of making a mounted stirrer/ paddle type gig, but its turned out to be a bit of a mission. :-D
r.c.barstud

Postby Moran » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:10 am

Great write up RC. Thanks, mighty helpful :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Moran

equipment: 2" pot still, 2x2400W FSD elements, 50L boiler

Postby r.c.barstud » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:12 am

oops my bad :violence-smack: :violence-smack: , i said barley converts starch into sugar, thats not right. its the cooking that converts, the barley is able to digest the sugars, kinda herd to type on a phone and get it correct, but i sure you get the idea :handgestures-thumbupleft:
r.c.barstud

cook off

Postby Dominator » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:00 am

Awesome write up mate. A great way for beginners to get their head around mashing.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Rumdrinker » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:09 am

Dominator wrote:Awesome write up mate. A great way for beginners to get their head around mashing.

:text-+1: :text-imwithstupid: :text-thankyoublue: :text-thankyoublue:
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby millert85 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:49 pm

r.c.barstud wrote:I add the soaked cracked corn to about 2 litre of water in my cooker, I use a beer keg with the top cut out and bring up to 68 deg c and do an iodine test to see if I have the correct conversion.

Is that 2l correct? Maybe being a noob I'm missing something, but for a 60l wash you would have approx 12l of grains correct? 2l of water doesnt sound anywhere near enough. :?
millert85

equipment: 2nd hand reflux (no idea what it is)

Postby r.c.barstud » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:55 pm

millert85 wrote:
r.c.barstud wrote:I add the soaked cracked corn to about 2 litre of water in my cooker, I use a beer keg with the top cut out and bring up to 68 deg c and do an iodine test to see if I have the correct conversion.

Is that 2l correct? Maybe being a noob I'm missing something, but for a 60l wash you would have approx 12l of grains correct? 2l of water doesnt sound anywhere near enough. :?

2 litres to soak the grain in :-D you will need to add water for cooking, and yes 12 kg of grain is on the money. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
r.c.barstud

Postby yetti » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:06 am

WOW, thanks heaps RC. Great detail. Even an empty head like myself can work that out. I have been told that you can get around 10 cooks with this type of wash over time, is this correct? What do you mean by correct conversion ?Never done it before and couldn't push my luck and get detail of the cooking and re-yeasting process if you have the time please? Once again thanks heaps mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft: Also what are your thoughts instead of whole corn you used polenta ( corn crushed to powder ).
yetti

Postby r.c.barstud » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:34 am

yetti wrote:WOW, thanks heaps RC. Great detail. Even an empty head like myself can work that out. I have been told that you can get around 10 cooks with this type of wash over time, is this correct? What do you mean by correct conversion ?Never done it before and couldn't push my luck and get detail of the cooking and re-yeasting process if you have the time please? Once again thanks heaps mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft: Also what are your thoughts instead of whole corn you used polenta ( corn crushed to powder ).

With all grain mashes, you only use them the once, with sugar heads like uncle jesse simple sour mash, you can use them over and over again. with an all grain mash its the backset (stillage) that gives replication from batch to batch.
You dont want to use a fine grind or a powder, it will be extremely difficult to mash and will be even harder to get a clear rack, thine fines will make it a real pain in the neck to work with.
r.c.barstud

Postby yetti » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:42 pm

Once again thanks RC. If I done a mash of 30L what volume and percentage do you think I would get?
yetti

Postby r.c.barstud » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:06 am

yetti wrote:Once again thanks RC. If I done a mash of 30L what volume and percentage do you think I would get?

i havent done a 30 litre mash, but i would reckon you would get 15-20 litres and it should be around the 9% mark. if you have a higher ABV you will start to lose flavour, so it takes a lot of practice to get a good balance of flavour and ABV :handgestures-thumbupleft:
r.c.barstud

Postby bt1 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:41 am

gee RC

Your ploughing in some great info on various threads bloke..well done!

I can almost see a book in future?

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Return to Beginners Questions