Grandvewe's trial and tribulations on distillation licencing

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Grandvewe's trial and tribulations on distillation licen

Postby Kimbo » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:55 pm

dogbreath vodka wrote:Hey Gents

Because hobby distilling gets all types here we can get a bit edgy with anyone that seems to be hedging or hiding something of what they intend to do.
That can lead to problems as well.

Grandvewe
It took me a total of about a minute to see what you are doing in Tassie ... Google is a great tool.
If you were really hiding something you wouldn't put a flag up like your forum name.
Loooove good quality cheese.

Kimbo has a point looking at your posts... some of your posts are contradictory.
Not out of hiding anything - just like many of us thinking out loud when we are in the midst of changes.
Mistakes made etc.

So I look forward to seeing what "Trials and Tribulations on Distilling Licensing" you go through.
This is just a hiccup in your time with Aussie Distillers.

Keep us informed on what happens next in the licensing issues you face.

In the meantime this site will reward you with lots of information.... ya just have to look. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

DBV

:text-+1: That's pretty much what I was going to say,
We dont need to know what your business is...its none of our concern and that wasnt my point. Your posts contradicted each other.
Its not a good idea to use a real name when you are alluding to participate in something illegal.
Especially when you have used your company name ;-)
As DBV said, a quick Google and anyone can soon find your Business, Full Name, Ph Number, Facebook profile and a satellite image and location.
We do want to hear about how you get your license, because although your destination is the same as many others here, your journey will be different.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Re: Wash Bacteria and sediment

Postby crow » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:41 pm

Hi ya Grandvewe , we seen to have got off wrong footed here I was just trying to get where you're coming from and thinking you need to slow down and do some research. Advise it just that so that it or leave it, it wasn't intended to be deliberately negative or offensive but your reply looks a little testy so allow me to reply dot point
Grandvewe wrote:Crow- Im well aware how much I have to learn about this hobby so there is no need to remind me of this.
I think you might have missed the point of my coments. They were in response to your posts outlining what you had thus far organized against your lack of knowlege pertaining to basic fermentation processes. last night I re-read you sixty plus posts and they do seen to follow a certain pattern where you ask for imformation you think you require and really this is not an efficient or productive way to educate your self. We try to promote some personal research be undertaken here rather than be spoon fed all the answers one might think they need for a number of reasons.Firstly so you not only learn the answer but more importantly why it is the correct answer, not to mention you will discover other important facts that may not have occurred to you to ask. another reason is answering the most basic of questions over and over is quite time consuming and tedious as you may well imagine. by all means if you can't find the answers or need further clarification on them ask away, just keep in mind the bulk of questions seem to get left for Mods to answer so try to meet us halfway :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Also I never said that im starting a diltillery to make a living out of it. Im doing this for fun just like everyone else here.
This is an add on to my current business, its not my bread and butter.
I don't believe I implied to know nor stated I wished to know what percentage of your income you perceived your future distillation business might make up. This is a site for the sharing of knowledge. That knowledge is freely given and there is no entitlement to answers. I would hope you keep members informed of you progress in what should make for a very interesting thread.I was not so much having a shot at you as providing what I personally deemed to be propitious advise and no malice was intended
Thanks for your concern

You are exceeding welcome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: Grandvewe's trial and tribulations on distillation licen

Postby Grandvewe » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:02 pm

Thanks for clearing that up guys I was feeling like I was a little on trial, even though that was not anyone’s intention.
I appreciate you all taking the time to explain where you are all coming from that has been very helpful in my understanding. I really appreciate that and totally agree with what you are saying.

I think DBV summed it up best. A lot of my posts are "Thinking out loud" so there will be contradictions/changes along the way as I discover new ideas and procedures.
If I can summarise what the majority of you seem to be cautioning me on is that Im "putting the cart before the horse". I havent run my still, yet im looking into bottle designs.
I 100% agree with this and I appreciate everyone’s very knowledgeable input.

The best way I can explain my current methods :
Im trying to analyse the entire process from a business point of view first, before learning the operation and finer details.
The reason I’m doing this is so I can try and discover any major issues (business, operational, licensing, marketing) I might encounter before I fully commit to the idea.
I understand that the most logical progression would be to spend years in practicing the art of distilling on a hobby level and then slowly build into a commercial operation once having all the knowledge and experience to make a quality product.

Im taking a different path where my main focus is to find any MAJOR problems I may face before I face them. Problems that may stop the entire idea before it begins. I have looked into bottles now because I saw this as one possible hurdle as most quality/distinctive designs require a minimum order of 1000 or more as I cannot afford $3000 for 1000 bottles when I only need 100 at most. I know companies like “Plasdene” and “CosPak” do offer smaller quantities however their choices are not very distinctive. It has taken me about 3 months to save up enough money to complete my still operation so in this time I have been trying to be proactive and start to figure out the other aspects of the business while I save money.

So I guess that’s the best way I can explain why my questions are so random and a little all over the place and somewhat contradictory. Im in the middle of a basic business analysis of the entire process. Once Iam confident that my idea is achievable, then I will be focusing on learning everything in finer detail. This is why I have also tried to refrain for telling my story at this early stage as it will not be helpful for anyone until I have a concrete plan that is proven to work.
Once Iam confident of my business plan, ill share it with all the members of this forum as possibly a good business formula for how to start a VERY micro distillery from a 50L still.
Thanks again to DBV, Kimbo, and Crow for your advice thus far. I take your points about being spoon fed and will attempt to refrain from this. I would imagine It will be at least 6mths before I will have anything more to add about my journey.

Cheers :text-thankyoublue:
Grandvewe

equipment: FSD Pot still off a 50L Keg with gin basket

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions