Double/triple distillation. How?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Double/triple distillation. How?

Postby No eye deer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:31 pm

OK,
I have 4 litres of distilled stuff, between 65% and 90% vodka.
Its FAIRLY clean, but doesnt taste wonderful.

Now the bit I'm not sure of.

Would I now distill it for a second time.

HOW? Do I chuck all the alcohol back into the still? Do I add water as well?

I did chuck the methanol out first though:)

Mark
No eye deer

equipment: Dont know!! Its an electric still :)

Re: Double/triple distillation. How?

Postby BIG D » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:39 pm

Hey mate I'd water it down to 40% and run it again I've done it with good results :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:41 pm

Water it down to 40% and Run it again .Do you know about making Cuts ?

can you show us a Pic of you still ? Just to get an idea of what you are using

Edit Double posted with Big D .
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby No eye deer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:14 pm

I have a picture on here somewhere. Its a SS reflux still. 5 litre . I hear its not the best still in the world, buit for a total of 10 bucks, I reckon its the best in the world :).

CUTS.. Sort of. I let the wash heat up, with the water running before it gets hot. Then, when it gets to 68C I run it for a while. Then chuck out 1/2 inch of liquid. Then I just run it, at 77 or 78 till it stops. Cuts are "checking every few mills?" I think, if I leave some nasties in it, I'll get em on the next run.

Mark
No eye deer

Postby No eye deer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:19 pm

download/file.php?id=6156&t=1

My world beating still.
No eye deer

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:46 pm

Doh .yeah I remember . I used one of them for a while too and yeah,double stilling is pretty much essential .Have to admit I upgraded to a 25 liter boiler before I started to Double distill .Never tried it on the 5 liter.It was taking me a week just to run a wash through once . :angry-banghead:

Try Here for cuts
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Dominator » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:01 pm

Double distill and see how it comes out, if it is still not very nice, try triple distilling. When you distill the first time dont worry about cuts. Just chuck your foreshots and keep everything from down to about 30%. Water down what you collected to 40% and chuck it back in your still. This time collect everything in 100ml jars untill you get to that manky tails smell/taste. Then follow the cuts guide and bobs your mothers brother.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby bt1 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:52 am

Just a tip from past adventures here...

Watering down and re distilling is the go but ...make bloody sure you have a quality water for double and triple distillations.

There's no point adding chlorinated tap water fresh from the tap and expecting stellar results...tried many times =fail

Prefer rain water myself as it's tested and know it's clean.

If you have to use tap water fill the night before, allow chlorine etc to piss off, on the day get stuck into it with the paint stirrer and drill and aerate the guts out of it....your taste buds will thank you :handgestures-thumbupleft:

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby SBB » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:49 pm

Yummyrum wrote:Do you know about making Cuts ?

No eye deer wrote:CUTS.. Sort of. I let the wash heat up, with the water running before it gets hot. Then, when it gets to 68C I run it for a while. Then chuck out 1/2 inch of liquid. Then I just run it, at 77 or 78 till it stops. Cuts are "checking every few mills?"

The the crux of it is that you can keep distilling 10 times if you like, but unless you practice cutting it wont help a lot. My suggestion would be to read up on cuts then do what you have read about.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby znipa-x » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:02 pm

bt1 wrote:Just a tip from past adventures here...

Watering down and re distilling is the go but ...make bloody sure you have a quality water for double and triple distillations.

There's no point adding chlorinated tap water fresh from the tap and expecting stellar results...tried many times =fail

Prefer rain water myself as it's tested and know it's clean.

If you have to use tap water fill the night before, allow chlorine etc to piss off, on the day get stuck into it with the paint stirrer and drill and aerate the guts out of it....your taste buds will thank you :handgestures-thumbupleft:

bt1

started thinking about the water I use the water down my nuetral lately, I've always use tap water, but noticed a shift in my flavour since I moved interstate, would I be better off using "spring" water from woolies for consistency, I'd love a tank my the landlord won't have a bar of it...
znipa-x

Postby 5 o'clock » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:39 pm

You can get a fairly cheap water filter jug to make tap water taste better and improve your final product after dilution.

I definately would not use tap water for diluting product to drinking strength. Why go to the effort of producing a nice tasting product and then make it taste like tap water?

As for other options, I think all of us have the ability to purify water. Just set up in pot still mode with a wash of pure tap water and collect it. If you let the water sit for a while (overnight) first a lot of the nasty tastes will disappear before you have to put any effort in.
5 o'clock

equipment: Modular bubble plate still on a keg with 2 elements. Mostly run it as a pot so far.

Postby crow » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:03 pm

look although not a great reflux still it is adequate and really with a good wash and proper cuts there is no reason you should need to go to the trouble of double distilling, no way known. Go to tried and proven and pick out a neutral type was either TPW or deathwish would be a good place to start then really go through the imfo in the newbie corner, here's a head start for you , the guide to cuts viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2859
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bt1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:47 am

I've only ever used the same spring water for final dilution...

Adelaide tap water... well in summer it's barely useable at times.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Sam. » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:34 am

bt1 wrote:I've only ever used the same spring water for final dilution...

Adelaide tap water... well in summer it's barely useable at times.

bt1

Reckon they have just upped the chlorine, was really noticeable the other day :handgestures-thumbdown:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Beginners Questions