first tpw cook

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

first tpw cook

Postby yetti » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:07 pm

arvo all, I am doing my first tpw cook and the first time that I have ever done cuts. Reflux is dripping out 2 drips per second and I an separating every 200ml. Im up to 10 jars and can smell the strong difference between #1 & #7. Temp has only jumped from 78.8 - 79.0 in 6 hour and is about 94%. Is this the norm?? pretty impressed if it is.
yetti

equipment: reflux and pot with 30L electric boiler

Re: first tpw cook

Postby DaveZ » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:14 pm

I wouldn't be too concerned with the temps mate, just keep it ticking along at a steady rate until you've got all you can get out of it. How big is your boiler charge? 25 litres? Probably got a bit more to go if it is. Sounds to me like it's all running as it should be.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby yetti » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:26 pm

hey DaveZ, yes it is a 25L boiler. What signs should I look for when it is nearly done? I used to let it run a full degree after it stabilized when I used turbo wash ( before being converted by some advise from here).
yetti

Postby DaveZ » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:33 pm

What sort of still is it? With my T500 the output would start to become a little erratic at the end and I'd find myself turning the coolant down more and more to try to get the last of it out. By that stage you're well into the tails anyway so just depends how much you want to wring out of the wash to recycle in a feints run.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby yetti » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:48 pm

Not to sure what type it is, all it says is pure distilling and it has a 2" tower that is 400ml high. And it is a 30L boiler sorry.
yetti

Postby jasonc2861 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:15 pm

Mate 6 hrs?still at 94%alc.?are you sure?ive usually finished with 25 ltr tpw wash within 3hrs maybe at the most.also once the temp has gone up 1degree from where it was settled its time to turn off unless keeping tails which I couldn't imagine you'd get a lot of from 25ltrs?
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby yetti » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:39 pm

hey Jason, it went for 8hrs till I killed it. Ended up with 2L @ 91% after cuts. temp only went from 78.8 - 79.4 when I killed it. Something don't smell right does it. My last turbo wash was just as slow to cook. Any ideas mate???
yetti

Postby jasonc2861 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:51 pm

yetti wrote:hey Jason, it went for 8hrs till I killed it. Ended up with 2L @ 91% after cuts. temp only went from 78.8 - 79.4 when I killed it. Something don't smell right does it. My last turbo wash was just as slow to cook. Any ideas mate???

Are you using the beer me 30 ltr boiler?also this is a run from your pure distilling reflux?yer seems a bit long to me,I've never ran it that long before.and once the temp goes up a degree,usualy it keeps going up and up bro.2 ltrs sounds about right tho,after cuts on a tpw I usualy only get 3.8ltrs at about 40% once watered down.at the most,sometimes less.thats the good stuff as well,no tails,heads.just to me seems abit long,just a question,have you taken out the packing at all?anyone else have any ideas??
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby Sam. » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:42 pm

jasonc2861 wrote:
yetti wrote:hey Jason, it went for 8hrs till I killed it. Ended up with 2L @ 91% after cuts. temp only went from 78.8 - 79.4 when I killed it. Something don't smell right does it. My last turbo wash was just as slow to cook. Any ideas mate???

Are you using the beer me 30 ltr boiler?also this is a run from your pure distilling reflux?yer seems a bit long to me,I've never ran it that long before.and once the temp goes up a degree,usualy it keeps going up and up bro.2 ltrs sounds about right tho,after cuts on a tpw I usualy only get 3.8ltrs at about 40% once watered down.at the most,sometimes less.thats the good stuff as well,no tails,heads.just to me seems abit long,just a question,have you taken out the packing at all?anyone else have any ideas??

Any responses can be directed here I don't think we need two threads for the same thing ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Beginners Questions