Sediment stirred up, what to do

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Sediment stirred up, what to do

Postby dungee » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:39 am

Hi All, noob question here...

Made my first wash this week, turbo yeast classic, sugar and turbo carbon. All went well, added the part A and B turbo clear and let it settle 24 hours. Was syphoning into the boiler this morning and accidentally sucked up some sediment.

Returned this to the fermenter - big mistake I think. Now I need to get this settled again, do I either add more turbo clear and wait another 24 hours, just wait a day and hope it settles, throw it out and start again?

Any advice appreciated, must pay more attention when syphoning!
dungee

equipment: T500 kit from HBS.

Re: Sediment stirred up, what to do

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:13 pm

I usually answer this sort of newbie question with the all time favourite.
READ READ READ

But this time I won't
Run what is already in your boiler and leave the remainder to settle.
That is if you have enough to run.
Draw off the cleared liquid and store until you are ready to do your next run.

That way you won't need to wait.

Once you have tried the tomato paste wash with bakers yeast or an Uncle Jess Simple Sour Mash, you won't go back to turbo's or clearing agents.

This is a great site and top blokes here will help you along the way.
BUT you need to give yourself a fighting chance by taking in as much info as possible.
Read what you can, regularly use the search functions in preference to shooting off a quick question.
If all else fails then that's were the huge amount of collective knowledge of this site comes into it's best.

Welcome to the art of distilling ..... :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Perhaps you should drop into the Welcome section and introduce yourself ;-)
:D
DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby 8-ball » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:16 pm

When I used turbos I didnt use clearing agents just let them sit for a week or so put on a couple of washes staggered so the all finish separately and pick the clearest one to run
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Postby Kimbo » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:41 pm

dogbreath vodka wrote:I usually answer this sort of newbie question with the all time favourite.
READ READ READ

But this time I won't

Well I'm glad you didnt, that is a statement you will find on another forum which is known to be quite rude to its Noobies at times.
We here at AD pride ourselves on being a lot more polite than that ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby dungee » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:48 pm

I really appreciate the advice, and the restraint :-) I've been reading and searching like crazy and once I run this lot through I'm keen to experiment with the TPW. There wasn't enough in the boiler to run so I returned it to the fermenter. It's clearing up slowly but still a bit cloudy. I'll give myself an uppercut for being careless and leave it settle, might pick up a second fermenter and run another wash while I'm waiting.
dungee

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:51 pm

Kimbo wrote:Well I'm glad you didnt, that is a statement you will find on another forum which is known to be quite rude to its Noobies at times.

I got my arse kicked the first few posts I did on HD, never forgot it.
But it made me think twice before asking a question and has stood me in good stead since.

These days I only really participate in Aussie Distillers because of the reasons you just stated.
We pride ourselves in being more polite and a newbie is usually just excited to get going.
No argument from me Kimbo.
:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

On the same thought of reading and searching.
I'm sure the Mods get tired of answering the same sort of questions over and over.
Part of the reason I will try and answer some of the easier ones.... I am still a newbie myself.

Oh and thanks for answering my less than wonderful questions at times. ;-)

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Kimbo » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:53 pm

Mate, I dont really let my washes clear. I let the bubbles stop, kick the side of the fermenter a few times to degas it then straight to the boiler.
( but I don't use Turbos either)
I would run it cloudy, you will be filtering anyway and just do a TPW next time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby 8-ball » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:05 pm

Where are u located dungee cos u dont need to pay top dollar hbs price for the fermenters. Buckets do a good job(handi pale) with a lid or olive drums anything really I payed about $20 for my 60l and 75l ones :handgestures-thumbupleft:
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Postby philthy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:54 pm

dogbreath vodka wrote:
Kimbo wrote:Well I'm glad you didnt, that is a statement you will find on another forum which is known to be quite rude to its Noobies at times.

I got my arse kicked the first few posts I did on HD, never forgot it.
But it made me think twice before asking a question and has stood me in good stead since.

These days I only really participate in Aussie Distillers because of the reasons you just stated.
We pride ourselves in being more polite and a newbie is usually just excited to get going.
No argument from me Kimbo.
:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

On the same thought of reading and searching.
I'm sure the Mods get tired of answering the same sort of questions over and over.
Part of the reason I will try and answer some of the easier ones.... I am still a newbie myself.

Oh and thanks for answering my less than wonderful questions at times. ;-)

DBV

dear oh dear why be rude and patronizing to the poor bloke?? you coulda just answered the question. U also bagged another forum cause you asked silly questions. Good pick up kimbo
philthy

Postby Kimbo » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:14 pm

He, not in trouble, just a simple reminder.
How bout we leave it there! ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby ticknaylor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:09 am

Lol I dropped my fermenter and run it cloudy and guess what couldnt taste a yeasty flavour some people follow the book to much run the lot if ya using turbos then your getting good practice bet you wont taste the difference :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ticknaylor

Postby Smbjk » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:38 am

Hey tick. At least you ran it and I came out good :handgestures-thumbupleft: .But next time use a tpw and you'll never go back to turbo! $$7.50 for a 25lt wash and you'll get 4-6 750ml btls of 40% neutral to flavor as you wish if your carefull with your cuts :handgestures-thumbupleft: Have fun mate!! And welcome to the forum heaps of great guys on here who will never hesitate to help. They have helped me heaps ^:)^
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby ticknaylor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:54 pm

Smbjk wrote:Hey tick. At least you ran it and I came out good :handgestures-thumbupleft: .But next time use a tpw and you'll never go back to turbo! $$7.50 for a 25lt wash and you'll get 4-6 750ml btls of 40% neutral to flavor as you wish if your carefull with your cuts :handgestures-thumbupleft: Have fun mate!! And welcome to the forum heaps of great guys on here who will never hesitate to help. They have helped me heaps ^:)^

LOL mate I been doing this awhile I don't use turbos I never have :laughing-rolling: edit you mean dungee? haha sorry
ticknaylor

Postby dungee » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:50 am

All ended well, a couple of days to settle and last night managed to distill 3.2 litres of 93% spirit :-) Going to soak some oak chunks, make some honey bourbon and maybe a batch of that banana liqueur recipe. TPW coming up tonight.

Thanks for the advice on this one guys.
dungee

Return to Beginners Questions