My very first run

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

My very first run

Postby paleale » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:54 pm

Hi all i am running my first ever wash (TPW) as i type and I'm taking cuts every 200ml. My question is my first cut after the fore-shots, has a wash colored tinge as apposed to my 2nd and 3rd cut. Should i just chuck this in the solvent bottle or keep it? Also, any ideas on how long this wash will take it run? Its a 25L charge and I'm using a SS super reflux still with the thermometer staying at a constant 76*c (is this even right?) :think: .

Cheers
paleale

equipment: FSD Mac 4 SSG, with additional 500ml packed section kit.

Re: My very first run

Postby satchy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi mate and welcome

Dispose of the first 150m that's the foreshots I take alittle more than others
Then you will start with heads then hearts then tails your heads and tails go in your feints run

The still water temp should be between 55/60 and the column should be around 78

You will be collecting at 92 or more if lucky

The speed will depend if you are controlling the temp
satchy

equipment: T500 and pot still

Re: My very first run

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:09 am

paleale wrote:Hi all i am running my first ever wash (TPW) as i type and I'm taking cuts every 200ml. My question is my first cut after the fore-shots, has a wash colored tinge as apposed to my 2nd and 3rd cut. Should i just chuck this in the solvent bottle or keep it? Also, any ideas on how long this wash will take it run? Its a 25L charge and I'm using a SS super reflux still with the thermometer staying at a constant 76*c (is this even right?) :think: .

Cheers

Don't keep it for drinking mate, turf it in with your next wash. Distillate should absolutely be clear or there's a problem.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Return to Beginners Questions