Digital PH meter

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Digital PH meter

Postby newbiboozer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:59 am

Can anyone recommend a digital PH meter. Are any of the ones on eBay any good. Also any tips on using them and do they work on rum washes.
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Re: Digital PH meter

Postby Hava » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:45 pm

Hi there, I'm a newb, but using an Aqua One ph reader, seems to be reliable so far.
Hava

equipment: Once you've run a FSD there is no going back!!!

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:38 pm

Does a PH meter have a limited shelf life and the less its used the more it will cost for each test .
wynnum1

Postby Hava » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:08 pm

After a while you will need to re-calibrate your PH reader, with a solution specific to your digital PH reader, you'd need to research the cost of reader and the calibration solution and how often you intend on using it to work out if it is cheaper.

The best thing about the digital is that it's not colour in a solution or the tabs that change colour, especially for a molasses wash it is great.

This is a ebay link to the one I a using, there are plenty cheaper available, I was just impatient and bought it at the local pet store. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AQUA-ONE-PH- ... 52b&_uhb=1
Hava

equipment: Once you've run a FSD there is no going back!!!

Postby Kimbo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:18 pm

Hava wrote:After a while you will need to re-calibrate your PH reader, with a solution specific to your digital PH reader, you'd need to research the cost of reader and the calibration solution and how often you intend on using it to work out if it is cheaper.

The best thing about the digital is that it's not colour in a solution or the tabs that change colour, especially for a molasses wash it is great.

This is a ebay link to the one I a using, there are plenty cheaper available, I was just impatient and bought it at the local pet store. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AQUA-ONE-PH- ... 52b&_uhb=1

Yes, I was just talking to an expert on these today. The ultra cheap ones like mine do have a limited life but its the same old story, treat it good and it will last longer. I then purchased 2bottles of pH buffer and a storage solution. Each were 250ml and the lot cost about 25 bucks.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Linny » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:29 pm

I got the cheap ebay one ,,, then i ordered 160 ph strips for $2 just to calibrate it ,,, now i still use the ph strips LOL
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby 1 2many » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:30 pm

Kimbo wrote:
Hava wrote:After a while you will need to re-calibrate your PH reader, with a solution specific to your digital PH reader, you'd need to research the cost of reader and the calibration solution and how often you intend on using it to work out if it is cheaper.

Yes, I was just talking to an expert on these today. The ultra cheap ones like mine do have a limited life but its the same old story, treat it good and it will last longer. I then purchased 2bottles of pH buffer and a storage solution. Each were 250ml and the lot cost about 25 bucks.

Is there a useby date on the buffer solution Kimbo i think they have a shelf life don't they?
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby newbiboozer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:53 pm

Do they need to be calibrated every time they are used.
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Postby crow » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:55 pm

mine cost me about 6 bucks on ebay and came with all the shit to calibrate it. Worked fine then until I left it on and flattened the batteries :crying-blue: , cost me $2 for 10 new batteries (still waiting for them to show up )
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Dominator » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:57 pm

Linny wrote:I got the cheap ebay one ,,, then i ordered 160 ph strips for $2 just to calibrate it ,,, now i still use the ph strips LOL

Thats an awesome idea Linny. I bought a digital one because I heard strips don't work in rum washes, but I didn't think about using them for calibration.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Kimbo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:10 pm

1 2many wrote:Is there a useby date on the buffer solution Kimbo i think they have a shelf life don't they?

The stuff I bought today duznt :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Return to Beginners Questions