very high abv readings

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

very high abv readings

Postby colsmename » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:36 pm

Hi, I feel silly asking, but haven't been able to find the answer to my question here, so here it goes.
According to my alcoholmeter (the one I bought from the local HBS), my pot still is constantly giving me readings of between 120-130%, until I get to the tails.
Is this normal?, cos after bringing it back to 40% it tastes fine, it's just that everything I'm reading is about everyone is pulling around 97% on a strip run?
So am I doing something wrong, am I lucky, or do I have a faulty hydrometer (alcolholmeter or how ever you spell it....lol).
colsmename

equipment: A pot still is still a pot, still

Re: very high abv readings

Postby Andy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:43 pm

think u might be reading it wrong buddy. you cant have 120% alcohol...

maybe post a pic of the alcometer you are using and we could explain it for you
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:49 pm

The top one is for measuring your wash . Hydometer

The Bottom one is for Measuring your Distillate .Achometer

It is possable that the Alcometer you have is calibrated in "Proof" not ABV . This being the case there are a few different proof scales around the world but basically 100% Proof = 50% ABV

Misc 004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby colsmename » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:01 pm

Andy wrote:think u might be reading it wrong buddy. you cant have 120% alcohol...

maybe post a pic of the alcometer you are using and we could explain it for you

Yeah, as I have to say to the mrs, too many times , you could be right.
think it maybe my terminology that's letting me down. It's proof reading that I'm giving. The alcometer has Proof and Trailes, Scale for U.S.custom house . temp 60deg F on the side of it, with proof reading on one side and Trailes? (whatever that means)on the other side of it.

Tried taking a pic of it , but my camera must have smelled too many fumes ( it's all fuzzy), and the numbers can't be read.

It's a STILLspirits brand
colsmename

Postby colsmename » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:08 pm

Thanks guys, the pics and explanation helped heaps, cos it didn't make sense to me, now it does. 8-}
Guess that's why I'm here, to sort out any hiccups I have along the way ........

Cheers :-D
colsmename

Postby Andy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:48 pm

colsmename wrote:Thanks guys, the pics and explanation helped heaps, cos it didn't make sense to me, now it does. 8-}
Guess that's why I'm here, to sort out any hiccups I have along the way ........

Cheers :-D

glad its sorted :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby db1979 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:01 pm

So if it is in proof, then you've diluted it down to 20%. Assumming that you've used the same alcometer...
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby colsmename » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:23 am

db1979 wrote:So if it is in proof, then you've diluted it down to 20%. Assumming that you've used the same alcometer...

Seems I should never sample before I attempt any form of mathematical equations in future.....lol, never been my strong point, but the good thing is that one day I'll have it all down pat.
In the mean time I'll keep tasting successes/failures and enjoying my new hobby :-), and throwing failures back through the strill so that all's not lost :happy-partydance:
It's keeping me highly amused, and I'm actually learning things in a blurry kind of way.
:laughing-rolling:
colsmename

Return to Beginners Questions