Start and finish SG

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Start and finish SG

Postby newbiboozer » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:32 pm

Hi just wondering if there is a general rule that applies to most washes regarding start and finish specific gravity. I've read that 0.990-1.0 is a good finish but what about start. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Re: Start and finish SG

Postby res » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:40 pm

Generally the higher the sg at the start the higher the abv after fermentation, I'm an old softie and like to mollycoddle my yeast with a easy amount of sugar to process. I mostly aim for around 1.075 but it's wide open for debate. 8-}

edit: that's what I use for bourbons, I imagine if your were doing a neutral you could go much higher; but it's not my field. :-B
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:51 pm

This is a fairly good indicator . What you are doing is measuring how much sugar has been converted to alcohol .It is the difference that is important not where it starts and finishes .

An SG of 1000 is the standard for 1 liter of water weighs 1Kg

Ethanol weighs less than water so that' why a fully fermented white sugar wash will end up around 990 or less (White sugar is basically pure sugar and nothing else)

Take for example Molasses .This has sugar which is fermentable and about the same weight of other stuff (cellulose salts etc) so your start and end SG will be way higher than if you fermented the same sugar content of white sugar .

There are different formulars for calculating High SG washes such as Molasses verses pure sugar washes
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Andy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:08 pm

some start up at 1.09 others start at 1.05 its up to you. the higher you go the more alco you will make, eventually it will kill the yeast or the yeast will follow through and shart.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby newbiboozer » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:18 pm

Thanks guys the main reason I asked was I've never had a TPW finish any lower than 1.0 and often 1.1ish have followed the recipe to the t and maintained good temps and left them plenty long enough. Wonder if it is the town water I use. Not sure but I guess I'm not getting the most out of my sugar.
newbiboozer

Postby db1979 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:22 pm

If it makes good booze and plenty of it after brutal cuts then who cares?
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:06 pm

bt1 is one of this forums Yeast masters. He should have all the answers :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So you are doing a TPW .That is a basic wash in that you have sugar ,water and yeast , and Tomato paste as a yeast nutrient .There is no extra unfermentables to confuse a SG reading so its a case of keeping the yeast happy .

Yeast need correct temp
correct pH
correct Nutrients to grow

Sounds like you have addressed temp
Ph is difficult to address as different water supplies very .Get a pH kit ad test your water . a wash pH of around 5 or slightly higher is a good start .That's why the citric acid is added

Not all Tomato pastes are equal. Mac recommended Leggo's . Use Leggo's unsalted .i have had less than favorable results with other brand TPs
Yummyrum

Postby Andy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:14 pm

or if you specific gravity is too high to begin with the yeast could be dying cos its too alcoholic in the wash. if the SG is 1.98 or something like that initially, the wash would be going to 18-20% and the yeast just cant survive.
Andy

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:18 pm

Andy wrote:or if you specific gravity is too high to begin with the yeast could be dying cos its too alcoholic in the wash. if the SG is 1.98 or something like that initially, the wash would be going to 18-20% and the yeast just cant survive.

A turbo might :hand: :hand: :hand:
Yummyrum

Postby Andy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:22 pm

bakers at like 14%. ec-1118 is 18%. turbos r like 20-25%
Andy

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:43 pm

Andy wrote:or if you specific gravity is too high to begin with the yeast could be dying cos its too alcoholic in the wash. if the SG is 1.98 or something like that initially, the wash would be going to 18-20% and the yeast just cant survive.

Good point but...
Can only hope that someone having issues with a simple wash like TPW would have followed the basic instructions and not tried doubling the sugar suggested and then ask...........why doesn't it work 8-}
Yummyrum

Postby Andy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:49 pm

haha yeah yummy. but stranger things have happened!
Andy

Postby bt1 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:13 am

Hello all,

Let's just say you pull your water off the night before to piss off chlorines and then take comfort in the fact that as a potable water, authorities generally deliver a reasonable quality water suited to human use = yeast should be ok...unless it's a dedicated beer style yeast (Whitelabs Lagers spring to mind) requiring specific water qualities and pre start adjustment.

The main issue I found with TPW, is it starts reasonably acidic, progressively gets more acidic and yeast shut down due to pH. Using a buffered pH fixer will prolong ferment period, producing a dryer wash. Dr. Who over at Modern Distiller has a great write up on buffered pH fixers.

Don't get me wrong we want yeast to shutdown go dormant to avoid the extra shite/nasties/Sulphurs associated with true yeast death...but generally due to lack of food.

btw a really dry well fermented TPW can be a sharp one for a whisky base...but that's a personal taste thing really.

btw2 You could choose a better yeast to improve yields and lower FG...EC1118 is a tough bugga, no notable offies, SG up around 1.120, FG on the 1.000 at current Adelaide ambient no heating required.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby newbiboozer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:35 am

Thank you guys that's cleared it up well. Dr Who's buffering technique was interesting. How much is reasonable to pay for citric acid and Sodium bicarbonate and where do you usually buy it.
newbiboozer

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:46 pm

You can get the n
Both in the cooing section of your supermarket.Sodium bicarbonate is commonly called baking soda or bicarb soda.Not to beconfussed with Baking powder which is a diferent thing

And they are only a few bucks each.
Yummyrum

Postby Sam. » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:45 am

Have you he checked your hydrometer in water to make sure it reads 1.000?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby newbiboozer » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:26 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Have you he checked your hydrometer in water to make sure it reads 1.000?

Yeah mate did test the hydro in water and calibrated the PH meter
newbiboozer

Postby Sam. » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:32 am

Hmmm the basic recipe should get you to 990 without a heap of rooting around. Is your wash well aerated before pitching your yeast?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby newbiboozer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:54 am

Yeah mate been hitting it with a stirring thingy on a drill. Leggos TP and lowland yeast.
newbiboozer

Postby Sam. » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:56 am

Yeah starting to sound like a water issue.

You can get a water report from your council, does it have a heap of chlorine in it? Maybe try what BT suggests and fill up your fermenter the day before so some of the shit evaporates out.

I take it your leaving your wash to settle for a while? Sometimes that last couple of points takes a little while.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Next

Return to Beginners Questions