Newbie needs advice on T500

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Newbie needs advice on T500

Postby cyborg » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:26 pm

Any ideas as to why a new T500 is only producing 90%
Wash was just under 14%, cleared naturally
Water out temp recorded @ 51.4c min to 53.6c max - Temp probe tested against a good digital thermometer (0.3 out)
Discarded first 50ml
Stored next 200ml as heads
Next 1 litre took 39 mins @ 90%
Next 1 litre took 42 mins @ 90%
Next 1 litre took 53 mins @ 90%
Next 3 x 200ml took 16 mins each @ 88%, stored for dilution and adding to another wash
Column packed tight as per instructions, some ceramic saddles left over, used as boil enhancers
Alcometer calibration tested OK
No puking, no leaks or other problems
:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
cyborg

equipment: T500 & Air Still

Re: Newbie needs advice on T500

Postby aliced » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:49 pm

Sorry mate, I can't help.

But 90% seems pretty good to me!
aliced

Postby Muppet » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:12 pm

Mine is similar. Seen 93% a few times but usually around 90 91. Personally I'm not so stressed tho if you want you could add some stainless scrubbers to the base of the colomn to try induce more reflux.
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby Andy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:25 pm

i think that's what is about expected from a T500.
if you really want something higher, then you could dilute to 40% and re-run. that will probably bump it up a bit more.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby SBB » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:44 pm

cyborg wrote:Next 1 litre took 39 mins @ 90%
Next 1 litre took 42 mins @ 90%
Next 1 litre took 53 mins @ 90%
Next 3 x 200ml took 16 mins each @ 88%, stored for dilution and adding to another wash

Don't rely on the temps to much to run it, go by whats coming out of the still, the slower the better with T500s in my opinion. Slower equals more reflux and in theory a more pure spirit and higher abv.
If your taking 1L cuts your not really going to get the best out of what you make either. Stick to 300 - 400 ml per cut even less would be good, until you really get a handle on whats going on.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Pugdog1 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:47 pm

temperature variations due to water pressure changing all the time used to make mine come out all the time like that. I now have a pump set up (also to preserve water as I pay for all usage) and I now consistently get 94ish out of my t500. and it runs a lot faster as well I get it out in good time even when running it at low temps. I think if I ever buy another still ill save up for one of macs they look amazing.

and don't worry about the saddles every time u repack it im pretty sure u fit less in. I have had an issue with mine where a copper saddle moves and blocks the outflow which cause pressure to build a bit more and it starts overflowing out of the top have had to repack it a few times due to this.

90 is good but I wouldn't worry to much but if you want that bit extra consistently try a pump setup if you don't already have one. you might not notice but even flush toilet or using washing machine drops town water pressure a fair bit at most places
Pugdog1

equipment: Still spirits Turbo 500 still

Postby NotBenStiller » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:50 pm

Ceramic saddles are actually pretty low surface area compared to other packing.
It's impossible to overpack with them.

try switching to jumbo stainless scrubbers - should bump the % up a couple.
(The T500 is a pain in the arse with them tho, coz of the stupid (and lazy) square block that forms the right angle in the pipe for the reflux condenser - the staino scrubbers get caught on it going in for packing and out for running de-tuned)
You can't really expect more from a T500 - all the stuff you see online about higher yields is mostly marketing hype - lies from still spirits and anyone trying to sell them.

If you want consistent azeo then build... or buy from someone better than still spirits
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby cyborg » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:58 pm

Pugdog1 wrote:temperature variations due to water pressure changing all the time used to make mine come out all the time like that. I now have a pump set up (also to preserve water as I pay for all usage) and I now consistently get 94ish out of my t500. and it runs a lot faster as well I get it out in good time even when running it at low temps. I think if I ever buy another still ill save up for one of macs they look amazing.

and don't worry about the saddles every time u repack it im pretty sure u fit less in. I have had an issue with mine where a copper saddle moves and blocks the outflow which cause pressure to build a bit more and it starts overflowing out of the top have had to repack it a few times due to this.

90 is good but I wouldn't worry to much but if you want that bit extra consistently try a pump setup if you don't already have one. you might not notice but even flush toilet or using washing machine drops town water pressure a fair bit at most places

I have a regulated water supply feeding the T500 via a pressure control valve set at 1.5 bar. The house supply is 4 bar so water pressure isn't an issue in my case.
As others have said, perhaps I have listened too much to sales talk. 90 is better than my Airstill at 55 which is now reduced to making distilled water only.
cyborg

Postby cyborg » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:40 pm

Found the cause of the 90% reading. My parrot is too narrow and it's causing the spirit to force the alcometer higher as it runs through, giving a false reading.
When I checked the spirit in a trial jar ready to work out the dilution, I found it was actually a little over 92%.
Have just ordered a new alcometer that is slightly narrower, rather than build a new parrot :angry-banghead:
cyborg

Postby Pugdog1 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:08 pm

Didn't even think of that as I don't have a parrot :teasing-neener:
Pugdog1

equipment: Still spirits Turbo 500 still

Postby aliced » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:11 pm

Pugdog1 wrote:Didn't even think of that as I don't have a parrot :teasing-neener:

I have young kids..............

Haven't been game for a parrot, they are bad enough :)
aliced

Return to Beginners Questions