5.2 pH stabilizer?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

5.2 pH stabilizer?

Postby res » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:09 pm

I'm about to put down my first plum wash with a unexpectedly bumper crop and after reading many threads I'm a little worried about the pH :think: I read some excellent posts on mixing up pH buffers but don't think I'll have the time, 6kg in the fridge already at least another 10 on the tree. Anyway any body used this stuff, cheap enough and on my way? :wave:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Re: 5.2 pH stabilizer?

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:20 pm

Can't say I've heard of that Res.
Do you have a pH meter or even a soil pH test kit ?

I would recomend making the wash without adding any acid ...then test pH if its within 7-5 you will be fine .

I made the mistake of following a recipe that called for adding a teaspoon of citric acid then had pH probs.

Test first then worry later.

Also unripe fruit are very acidic
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby res » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:34 pm

Yummyrum wrote:Can't say I've heard of that Res.
Do you have a pH meter or even a soil pH test kit ?

I would recomend making the wash without adding any acid ...then test pH if its within 7-5 you will be fine .

I made the mistake of following a recipe that called for adding a teaspoon of citric acid then had pH probs.

Test first then worry later.

Also unripe fruit are very acidic

Cheers mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: I do have a meter, it's a pretty cheap ebay number but seems to do the trick. I have to nip down my HBS for yeast anyway and thought it might be worth the gamble to grab some just in case, don't want to have to go running of in the middle of the job because my pH crashes. I'll definitely be testing first, but a buffer should hold the mash in the right zone even if it's there anyway I thought? 8-}
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby GalBrew » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:17 pm

Go and get a water report from your supplier and download EZwater calculator. I used 5.2 for a while and suffered some of the worst mash efficiencies ever. Apparently it is a better buffer in harder, more alkaline water such as American well water, it is rubbish with soft Melbourne water. If you adjust your salts using this spreadsheet it is far better for pH, you just need your water report.
GalBrew

equipment: Nothing Yet

Postby res » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:00 pm

GalBrew wrote:Go and get a water report from your supplier and download EZwater calculator. I used 5.2 for a while and suffered some of the worst mash efficiencies ever. Apparently it is a better buffer in harder, more alkaline water such as American well water, it is rubbish with soft Melbourne water. If you adjust your salts using this spreadsheet it is far better for pH, you just need your water report.

Thanks mate sounds about right. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby TBone » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:27 am

res wrote:I'm about to put down my first plum wash with a unexpectedly bumper crop and after reading many threads I'm a little worried about the pH :think: I read some excellent posts on mixing up pH buffers but don't think I'll have the time, 6kg in the fridge already at least another 10 on the tree. Anyway any body used this stuff, cheap enough and on my way? :wave:

I use that for my all grain brew sessions ... Works great. I'd highly recommend the majority of the products from that company...they have served me well over the years.
TBone

equipment: 5 Star Mac 4 SSG
50L keg boiler
Grainfather brewing system

Return to Beginners Questions