Third 50L molasses wash for Rum.

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Third 50L molasses wash for Rum.

Postby Chips Molasses » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:29 am

So my third 50l wash for rum used 10l stock feed molasses, 3kg brown sugar, 1 jar 280gms? Preservative free tomato paste and around 180gms of lowans bakers yeast. This is my first wash not using a turbo yeast at all. My last one I double distilled in the air still,a slow but rewarding process. What should I expect with this one.? A lower alcohol wash? Less yield ? (The last two I got a 10-11l yield) I think this will be my last rum for a while, I want to try some whiskey from malted barley. Thanks again for all your help, loving this journey and learning.
Chips Molasses

equipment: 2 inch column, pot still 50l gas fired keg boiler. Soon to be 2x 3000w electric.

Re: Third 50L molasses wash for Rum.

Postby OzKev » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:51 am

I would have a read of the rum thread, plenty of good info in there.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=30
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby Kimbo » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:31 am

Chips Molasses wrote:So my third 50l wash for rum used 10l stock feed molasses, 3kg brown sugar, 1 jar 280gms? Preservative free tomato paste and around 180gms of lowans bakers yeast. This is my first wash not using a turbo yeast at all. My last one I double distilled in the air still,a slow but rewarding process. What should I expect with this one.? A lower alcohol wash? Less yield ? (The last two I got a 10-11l yield) I think this will be my last rum for a while, I want to try some whiskey from malted barley. Thanks again for all your help, loving this journey and learning.

Hi Chips,
Its hard to say, but depending on the sugar content of your Molasses, I would guess around 8L, maybe a little less ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:05 am

Hey Chips.
If the only thing you did different was use Bread yeast instead if Turbo then there will be no difference in yeild.
That amount of mollasses and sugur will easily fully ferment out in 50 liters with Lowans bread yeast.

I do all molasses washes 50 liter washes with 12liters mollases and Lowans will quite happily ferment more if I give it ..I don't use any tomatoe paste but add a pinch of Epsom salts.......and ferment it hot...arond 30+ deg C
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Chips Molasses » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:44 am

Thanks all.

Yes - not using turbo yeast for the first time. The ferment is much more subtle with the lowans, it gently bubbles away. The turbo was a frothing spa bath.

I had some dunder stored from my last lot its been in the shed for a while and was starting to look and smell a bit funky so I gave it a miss.

I used tomato paste as yeast nutrient, as that seems to be a common practice.

I am still on the hunt for large glass demijohns or even better an oak barrel I can use to age the stuff. I will probably use a stainless home brew keg if nothing else shows up.

Thanks again!
Chips Molasses

equipment: 2 inch column, pot still 50l gas fired keg boiler. Soon to be 2x 3000w electric.

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:36 pm

LOL .
Shame you didn't use that funky Dunder......thats the best stuff of all.
Just syphon it off from under the mould layer.....I normally heat it up to about 85 deg C to sterilize it but soom say its fine to throw straight in
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Kimbo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:25 pm

Hey Chips, how did you go with this, how was your yield?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby Chips Molasses » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:44 pm

The wash seems to have a lower overall alcohol content. The first one I did with a turbo had the spirit coming out between 65% and 40% in the first distillation. This one is more like 55%-30% on the first distillation. I am pushing batches through the air still now, I am taking 1 litre of spirit for every 4l of wash. I will distill this again before oaking. only 2 runs in so far, looking and smelling OK.
Chips Molasses

Postby Kimbo » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:33 am

Chips Molasses wrote:The wash seems to have a lower overall alcohol content. The first one I did with a turbo had the spirit coming out between 65% and 40% in the first distillation. This one is more like 55%-30% on the first distillation. I am pushing batches through the air still now, I am taking 1 litre of spirit for every 4l of wash. I will distill this again before oaking. only 2 runs in so far, looking and smelling OK.

The ABV seems to be ok still. I guess a spirit run a and a little time on oak will tell :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby Chips Molasses » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:14 pm

Ok - so after making some cuts, I ended up with 4.5l of 55% rum, from a 50l wash.
Its still a little spicy, and needs to rest for a while.

One thing I wanted to run by the guru's is a light tickle I had in the back of my throat when I first tried it. Almost like there was something in it that didnt agree. Anyone ever found that with a fresh distillate?

I had another little sample today as I moved it out of the stainless keg with oak into a large demijohn - its much better, but still has the little bit of irritation at the back of the throat.

Any ideas?

This has been much harder work than the last one, with a smaller result. But I guess if the aim is to make chemical free quality spirit, I am getting closer.
Chips Molasses

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:51 pm

Rum straight off the still can be pretty manly tasting... Needs time on oak to smooth it out.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby unsub » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:24 am

I find I get that back of throat bite when there are heads in there. That is one of the things I look out for when doing cuts.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby Kimbo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:45 pm

Are you drinking it at 55% when you get this " tickle"
As Zak said, just give it time mate ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Return to Beginners Questions