where to buy

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: where to buy

Postby SBB » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:36 pm

Spend the extra on a 3 incher if you decide to go that way, otherwise you risk dieing of boredom, a 2 inch bok is kinda slow.
This hobby does not need to be as expensive as some have suggested, people have been doing it for hundreds of years and a lot of them have done it on the smell of an oily rag.
If your content to make Rum and whiskey or other flavored drinks a simple pot still on a beer keg wont cost the earth to set up.(provided you do the hard yards your self.)
A pot is the simplest and cheapest of all stills to build,, there are no real rules to building one. You need a column which goes up up, a bend and a condenser which points down hill. Thats about the extent of it. A good Liebig condenser is cheap and simple to make and will do the job,
You can store what you make in old bottles and jars if need be.
At the end of the day this hobby only needs to be as expensive as you choose to make it, a bit of improvisation will go a long way to making it more affordable.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Re: where to buy

Postby MacStill » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:49 pm

SBB wrote:Spend the extra on a 3 incher if you decide to go that way, otherwise you risk dieing of boredom, a 2 inch bok is kinda slow.
This hobby does not need to be as expensive as some have suggested, people have been doing it for hundreds of years and a lot of them have done it on the smell of an oily rag.
If your content to make Rum and whiskey or other flavored drinks a simple pot still on a beer keg wont cost the earth to set up.(provided you do the hard yards your self.)
A pot is the simplest and cheapest of all stills to build,, there are no real rules to building one. You need a column which goes up up, a bend and a condenser which points down hill. Thats about the extent of it. A good Liebig condenser is cheap and simple to make and will do the job,
You can store what you make in old bottles and jars if need be.
At the end of the day this hobby only needs to be as expensive as you choose to make it, a bit of improvisation will go a long way to making it more affordable.

This is true, well said.

We need to look at the criteria tho ;-)

1pot wrote:I forgot to mention that if it,s to hard getting the stuff as it,s looking I will have to fork out $700 for a pure distillers still (T 500 is not a choice )

Thanks 1pot

1pot wrote:Thanks SBB but we are not allowedto scavange at the dump witch is allso the scrap metal dealer, and I have tried the few second hand shops in my town. I recon I proberbly will be able to get most of the copper but the keg looks to be a problem.

I have looked a kegomax,s site but they are shut till latter this month so I,ll keep looking.
regard 1pot

1pot wrote:Thanks everyone for your replys. Thanks Brendan you have said pretty much what I suspected , But at this point in time I dont have the cash to get the best regardless , so I will have to fork out more latter

Ihave written down the list you provided and wiil see how I go today when I catch up with the plumbers I will be seeing But as I am hopeing to build a reflux still maybe the boka I am still looking through this site at differant plans

Now I'm going to say that I reckon just start with a keg, get hold of one first no matter what and get it turned into a boiler.... even gas would do :))

Once the boiler is getting there look for a pot still, get the hang of stripping runs, fermenting, etc etc.

Now that the ferments are done and stripping is getting close start looking again at where things are at..... get my drift ;-)

Slowly slowly 8-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions