all cuts smell horrible

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

all cuts smell horrible

Postby tillius » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:20 pm

We just finished our 7.5 gallon pot still, we did a cleaning run, then we ran off the first batch of corn wash.

The corn wash
1) 10# cracked corn
4# cracked malted corn
0.0# Barley Malt
0.5 cup honey
0.5 cup molasses
3.5 gallons water to bring to 5 gallons total

We put this to ferment on Feb 4.

We ended up with about 1 1/2 gallons of wash from it, after straining.

We made a 8 cuts, started collecting the first at 150 degrees read just before the condensor and stopped when temp reached 168.
Next cuts all ran between 168 and 178, and we collected about a cup of each.

The 1st cut, I'm sure the fores, smells like acetone strongly

All of the rest have a slight acetone smell, some have a paint thinner smell, NONE of them smell like I'd want to drink it.

What might we have done wrong?

TilliUS
tillius

equipment: pot still with thumper, currently under construction

Re: all cuts smell horrible

Postby Brendan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:29 pm

By the sounds of it, it's a brand new still...is it possible you didn't clean it properly?

As you would know the usual is a vinegar run which cleans and checks for leaks, and then a sacrificial alcohol run which really gets those fluxes outta there...what was your cleaning run?

To get heads and tails too far into the hearts can just be from running too hard...to get acetone all the way through could mean you're still cleaning chemicals out of your equipment, or you fermented a really poor wash somehow (even then I don't know how you'd get an extensive acetone smell) :think:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby BackInBlack » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:34 am

Pretty sure if it's a pot still you need to do stripping runs until you have enough to do a second run.
The second run should be a lot cleaner.
BackInBlack

equipment: 4 inch 6 plate FSD still
50ltr keg, cooking on gas

Postby tillius » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:41 am

ahhh, that's exactly it. We ran a water cleaning run, based on what another local distiller told us, said we didn't need to do a vinegar run.

Do you think the alc run we did last night would have cleaned it sufficiently?
tillius

Postby TheMechwarrior » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:05 am

Normal is vinegar run to clean (acid clean)
Then sacrificial run (solvent clean)
Rinse with water and you're right to go.

You can't skip the acid clean. Start at the beginning and work your way up.

Your run is history now so call me out and do an acid clean and see what you get, I bet it's worth your while ;-)
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby tillius » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:33 am

Okay, so we will do a vinegar run tonight, and put on 5 gallons of TPW with that 24 hour turbo yeast so we have sacrificial alcohol to run tomorrow.. then I can run my banana and the rest of the corn wash through, hopefully with better results this time.
tillius

Postby bt1 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:32 am

Wouldn't suggest running a spirit after a vinegar run would taste off....
The normal I've always used

vinegar run
steam run(shorter)
test wash run - throw out, normally gen 1 whisky that's got no backset so no great loss
wash still out and dry ~ish then it's set to use for a normal run.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Brendan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:50 pm

The TPW spirit run is a sacrificial alcohol run after the vinegar clean...it will get thrown out and not drunk.

You were all good with what you said you are going to do Tillius :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Smbjk » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:25 pm

May I sugest keeping all the run you did the other day and rerun as you sacrificial run after your vinegar run. Just cut down to 40% or lower so you have enough in your boiler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Sam. » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:22 pm

Smbjk wrote:May I sugest keeping all the run you did the other day and rerun as you sacrificial run after your vinegar run. Just cut down to 40% or lower so you have enough in your boiler :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I wouldn't, who knows what shit is in that spirit if it has already taken a heap of whatever out of the still. Who knows what it's going to leave in there :shifty:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Smbjk » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:34 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:
Smbjk wrote:May I sugest keeping all the run you did the other day and rerun as you sacrificial run after your vinegar run. Just cut down to 40% or lower so you have enough in your boiler :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I wouldn't, who knows what shit is in that spirit if it has already taken a heap of whatever out of the still. Who knows what it's going to leave in there :shifty:

Ha fair point didn't think of that 8-} thanks for the correction s&l
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:48 pm

Tillius..I might be way off track here but the theme here from the start has been one of a not cleaned still but may I put forth the theory that you may be experiencing what I suffer from.

If this is your first attempt at distilling an you have never tasted homemade shine and only ever drunk shop bought stuff that is aged for many years on Oak., when you taste the stuff for the first time ,it tastes nothing like you imagined from all the forum hype that it would taste like .

Off the still , ....The heads cuts are tasty but burn , the hearts are bland , the tails are progresively more putrid.....and there is no nice Oak that is charactoristic of most spirits we are familiar with.

Blending the the cuts will help even it oit a bit but it will still taste very different to anything you are probably familiar with ....Oak and time does wonders
:hand:

........Still....proceed with cleaning run as directed and hope second time is better
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby tillius » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:18 am

yeah, I told him to toss the run from the other day, smells like paint thinner. He asked if he could drink it and I said 'smell it again.. does that smell like something you really want to drink?", we dumped it.

I did put down a TPW using turbo 24 yeast that should be ready tomorrow for a sacrificial alcohol run. We're doing the vinegar water run tonight. I only grabbed the turbo 24 to make a quick sacrificial batch, not planning on using it to make anything I want to drink. My nephew, on the other hand, will undoubtedly get impatient and use it.

Too bad he had to scrap his first attempt at fermenting, fortunately, he should have about 20 gallons of corn wash ready soon, as when we took the wash off the grain to run it, the fermenting bucket was 3/4 full of corn.
We split it into 3 buckets and added warm water to each,gave them a good stir. Started bubbling really good about 2 hours later.

I told him it was way too much grain, now I think he will believe me.
tillius

Postby tillius » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:06 pm

vinegar run done. rinsed out all parts with lots of water.

Turbo TPW still fermenting like mad, hope it's ready for sacrificial alcohol run tomorrow.

Salvaged grain from first corn run now in 3 buckets, bubbling like mad.

Put another TPW on, using regular distillers yeast, not turbo, that will be for a double or triple run to get as neutral as I can.

Banana still sitting there nicely, waiting it's turn to run, have 10 gallons of banana wine now to run through. Hopefully I can get that through the still this weekend.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.
tillius

Postby tillius » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:06 am

We finally did the solvent cleaning run using 2 1/2 gallons of TPW, then we ran 5 gallons of the all grain corn. We ended up with 3 pints of drinkable, clean smelling 80%, and about a quart of heads and tails we threw into the feints jar for a later run.

Ready to run through:

5 Gallons of TPW
10 Gallons of Corn all Grain
10 Gallons of banana wine

Working for future runs:
10 Gallons of Ovaltine wash
30 Gallons of Corn all Grain

Waiting on my contacts from the Grocer's produce department to let me know they have a nice batch of overripe fruits they are about to discard then I'll put down additional fruit wines. The 10 gallons of banana took 40 lbs of banana's, but the wine itself tastes good enough to drink even without distilling.
tillius

Return to Beginners Questions