Stuck CFW ferment??

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Stuck CFW ferment??

Postby viking » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:21 pm

Hey All,

Just started up my new 4 inch bubbler from 5 Star and the yield seem a little low. I'm trying to work out what I have done wrong. I followed Macs instructions under the plated column section.

About 3 weeks ago I put down 190L of Corn Flake Whiskey wash. I didn't take any gravity readings. I'm lazy I guess.

Put approx. 40 litres of wash into the 50 litre Keg. Cranked it up on 2 x 2400 elements, once running I only used one. Foreshots gone. Start taking heads in 300ml jars - approx. 92 %. At the second jar it dropped to about 90%. then third 70%, then sharp drop to 50%. Couldn't work it out so I shut down for the night.

If I had taken gravity readings, I could of identified if the wash had fully fermented - lesson learnt.
From reading what others are getting - my yield is very low.

I'm new to this distilling gig, but I didn't think I could be driving the rig so bad.
I was thinking, maybe the wash hasn't fully fermented, or got stuck. Should I pitch some more yeast? I've got some of the EC1118 in the fridge.

I've also got 190L of TPW and 190L of molasses wash to run. I had wanted to run all the same wash through.

Any thoughts fellas???
viking

equipment: FSD 4 inch SSG 5 plates with packed section and 100L FSD boiler.

Re: Stuck CFW ferment??

Postby Brendan » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:25 pm

I can't be sure in your situation, but I had similar problems when I first started using my plated column...all came down to learning how to run it properly and balance power with cooling water...also ensuring the temp of your cooling water doesn't rise too significantly if recirculating, as you would be changing your reflux ratio...
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Smbjk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:10 am

Wow I hade the exact same thing happen the other day. Was running electric for the very first time. 2 x 2400w on heat up. Went to turn one of my elemnts off and run modulated 2400w with control box and my box blew a fuse due to a cheap on of fuse :angry-banghead: so just ran 2400w and got shitty yeilds. Was thinking though that my wash was 2mths old and didn't have it air tight so though maybe some of the alcohol evaporated :think: is it possible that 2400w was to much for 3" but I can't se how that could cause any problems as my rc was working efficiently and I could control my output. But after brendans post now im not quite sure
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby kiwikeg » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:02 am

Hi Viking,
What's the S.g now?
A CFW or a TPW should ferment out to .990 easily.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Sam. » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:15 am

Does it taste sweet the wash?

Like said if you don't have that power/cooling balance right it can drop ABV like that.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby viking » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:51 pm

Cheers Guys,
Kiwi keg - looks like the SG is around 0.99
Sam & liv - I wouldn't call the taste of the wash really bitter - it is sour and bitter.

I think I might reconfigure into the pot still and run 40L of the same wash tonight.
I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers
viking

Postby Brendan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:04 pm

So both points say your wash is done, and not stuck. It's at 0.99, and if it was stuck there would be sugars, hence t would taste sweet.

Not a wash problem...I'd say you're the same as I was. Just took a bit of fiddling and tinkering to learn the balance of how to drive it properly.

edit: I just re-read that you never too an SG reading at the start, so you don't know how much alc is in the wash. In any case, it's not stuck, and I still think it's the running of it...
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby viking » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:48 pm

Cheers for the help fellas.
I ended up going the molasses wash approx. 35 - 40 litres - because I was certain that had finished a couple of weeks ago.
Looking over the jars I have airing 18 by 300mls.

So I have learnt. 1. stop being so lazy and go back to taking OG when appropriate.
2. don't mess with the RC too much
3. I have much to learn in the hobby. Luckily I am keen to learn.

One thing I did forget to mention is that I running 3 plates at the moment not 4. Could this influence the abv? started at approx. 92. I messed with the RC dropped to 85 then open the RC a touch - back up close to 90. I didn't worry about recording the abv for each jar.
After I finish with the Molasses wash - I'll get back to the CFW.

Thanks again!
viking

Postby BackInBlack » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:42 am

+1 on not messing with the RC too much.
After a few runs you will have it nailed :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BackInBlack

equipment: 4 inch 6 plate FSD still
50ltr keg, cooking on gas

Return to Beginners Questions