Making rum

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Making rum

Postby Copperhead » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:50 pm

Hi all,

Been making neutral for many years but have decided to give pot stilling rum a go. I have made a 180 liter ferment and I'm ready to go. My question is I have 2 elements together they equal 4200 watts, I plan to run both of them to do the stripping run. But when I do my 2nd run for the final run would I be better off running it slower just with my 2000watt element to get a stronger flavor and better product or should I run the full 4200watt.

Also when I do my stipping run do I still take off so much at the start and discard it, methanol etc.

Cheers copperhead.
Copperhead

equipment: ......

Re: Making rum

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:59 pm

Personally ,when I strip,I take the lot fores ,heads heats and tails right down to 10% ABV

When I do the spirit Run ,then I run slower and do my cuts ........in your case yes ,cut back to 2000watts for the spirit run ....it will give you a better spirit :handgestures-thumbupleft:

With the slower ,less smeared spirit Run ,you will still be easily able to discern the fores from the heads .Don't be tempted to throw out too much heads though ,or you will end up with a bland tasteless Rum...
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Copperhead » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:15 pm

Cheers yummyrum for clearing that up for me.

I have one more quick one to throw at ya. When you blend your rum do you ever go right back to the start of your heads and the end of your tailes or is that not common practice.

Cheers copperhead.
Copperhead

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:28 pm

Na ...tried that in early days ...tastes like crap.

I do like a bit of late heads and a few jars towards tail but pretty much as soon as I taste tales ,I stop ...it also seems to be around 70-68% ABV on a double Pot still Run like what you are doing.

Heads -Hearst cut is a tricky one and you have to balance Burn /flavour .......early heads is a no brainer ...it tastes/smells chemically ....but you probbs well aware of that if you've done nuetrals :-B

I find that late heads mellows out on oak with time .....tails never seems to ...guess you can see where my preference is but others will have different opinions

Edit: Don't worry about what you cut.out ..stick it through your VM , again ,I stick all the fores ,heads cut and all the cut tails and you will get a white Rum very similar to Baccardi :handgestures-thumbupleft:Nothing is ever wasted in a Rum wash :romance-kisscheek:

Edit Edit : on this cut ,I finally dump the fores and early heads and tails ...for ever
Yummyrum

Postby Copperhead » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Champion yummyrum :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks for your advice, it is a big help :smile: . I'll let ya know how I went when I run it, hopefully on the weekend .

Cheers copperhead.

Edit: When I run it through the vm I take it ya don't run with packing in the colum.
Copperhead

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:50 pm

Copperhead wrote:Edit: When I run it through the vm I take it ya don't run with packing in the colum.

yeah ..just run it like a neutral with packing in and maybe just a bit harder than normal ...I still get typical Baccardi at 94-95 % ABV ......you can drink it immediately while your waiting for your Rum to age on Oak :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

Postby Copperhead » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:02 pm

Cool

Thanks for the tip :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Copperhead

Return to Beginners Questions