Aging vessels

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Aging vessels

Postby nuddy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:33 pm

db1979 wrote:Probably a composite cork at that price and size of cork.

What sort of issue would you run into using these? The glue/binder leeching into product?
nuddy

equipment: 2" bokabob
4" blockhead bubbler build in progress

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:25 pm

nuddy wrote:
db1979 wrote:Probably a composite cork at that price and size of cork.

What sort of issue would you run into using these? The glue/binder leeching into product?

They’d be fine, would only leech if it were submerged imo. I use composite corks in a keg and found it would break off little bits every time I pulled it out so I just stuff it in with a piece of cloth now :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Sam. » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:38 pm

The more paranoid would say the glue that binds it together can be leached into the spirit via the vapour :-B

But it's up to you.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:37 pm

you reckon? I could see that the vapour of 65% could still be a solvent but it would have to be enough to change the state of the glue from a semi solid to a liquid( or vapour). That sort of chemistry is way above my pay grade :laughing-rolling:
But maybe that’s why my composite corks flake bits off? :?
DB, help required... ~x(
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby bluc » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:18 pm

Jam some orange peel in the neck of a 1l bottle 65% neutral without letting it touch the spirit. Give it a couple weeks then pull out the orange and taste the neutral. My money is on it tasting like orange :handgestures-thumbupleft: :-B
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby woodduck » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:40 pm

Buy them throw the corks away and use paper towl and a block of wood to seal the top?
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby The Stig » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:09 pm

Heres my newest idea that seems to be a winner: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11664
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby db1979 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:18 am

woodduck wrote:Buy them throw the corks away and use paper towl and a block of wood to seal the top?

:text-+1: just be careful what wood is used.
The vapour over time will get into the cork. Ethanol vapour will still act as a solvent. Perhaps the glue is insoluble in ethanol and or ethanol/water mixes. If so, then it should be fine.
If the glue is soluble, whether the glue in the cork makes its way way down into the jar is another issue, it might not, but if it does I'd say you've pretty much wrecked something you were aging for a long time.
If you wanted to do a test, I'd get a piece of the cork composite and a non composite cork (equal sizes). Cut them both up into small pieces, and soak them in separate jars of 65 % (or whatever strength you're aging at), make sure the jars are covered to prevent evaporation. Leave them there for a while (maybe a month, maybe 6). Then filter out the cork pieces and leave the spirit to evaporate. Compare the two residues left behind from the evaporation of the spirit. If the residues appear and feel (to touch) the same, and when washed in water respond in the same way then its most likely that the glue doesn't dissolve in ethanol.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby P3T3rPan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:45 am

bluc wrote:Jam some orange peel in the neck of a 1l bottle 65% neutral without letting it touch the spirit. Give it a couple weeks then pull out the orange and taste the neutral. My money is on it tasting like orange :handgestures-thumbupleft: :-B

Have done this many times to make fruit flavoured vodka by suspending the fruit, including chilies, above the spirit.
I would be very careful to be sure of anything sealing my jars.
If you think that the ethanol will not touch the lid/seal then you are most definitely wrong.
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby P3T3rPan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:56 am

Here is a lemon infusion done by suspension
lemon infusion.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby Dig Brinker » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:18 pm

P3T3rPan wrote:I would be very careful to be sure of anything sealing my jars.
If you think that the ethanol will not touch the lid/seal then you are most definitely wrong.

+1 same reason we don’t use plastic lids. Long term aging, especially in Oz we are going to get some high temperatures.
Put a couple of paper towels over the top held with a rubber band. That’s how I age in some cheap 2.2 litre jars I got. They came with plastic lined aluminium lids.
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby Plumby » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:59 am

I use the 2.2 litre swing top jars from Kmart, toss the shitty red gasket and use paper towel doubled over and do the lid up. Same with my 5 litre demijohn.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby EziTasting » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:07 am

Plumby wrote:I use the 2.2 litre swing top jars from Kmart, toss the shitty red gasket and use paper towel doubled over and do the lid up. Same with my 5 litre demijohn.

:text-+1:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions