reflux operations

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

reflux operations

Postby Furynfear » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:54 pm

Hey peeps. So ive been reading the forrums for a bit and im about to do my 1st batch for turbo on sat(i no tpw next batch but good for a 1st). I managed to build myself a boka 2 and just wanna make sure that ive got what happens on sat down packed.

So 1 i put my wash in the still and let heat up to 70 to 80'c and start the condensor and try hold that temp.
2. Open the tap to a drip & discard the 1st 150ml foreshots
3. collect in 250ml jars for the whole time
4. once the temp has gone up past a few degress and there isnt much left turn it of.
5. Teaspoon each jar and discard head and tails for the next wash. Take alcometer readings of each jar.
6. Dilute with water to 40abv
7. Put through carbon filter

Question do i need to air out the alcohol then put in the esences.
Q2 are heads only at the begging and tales at the end.
Furynfear

equipment: T500. + python pot still + copper made reflux Still

Re: reflux operations

Postby C2H6O » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:05 pm

JHey mate Im not familiar with the T500 but just did my first run and these two posts helped me a lot

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2860 For a VM still

and

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3120

One thing i would change in regards to your plan is run the coolant to the condenser from the start, you don't want it getting away from you and shooting out ethanol steam if you aren't paying attention.

Good luck, sure you will get lots of help.
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby Furynfear » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:57 pm

Also when diluting i will be using a alcometer. Is there a chart or something to calculate temp change
Furynfear

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:05 pm

Furynfear wrote:Also when diluting i will be using a alcometer. Is there a chart or something to calculate temp change

Most alco meters come with a basic correction chart but You will generally find that you are pretty much within cuwee if between 15-25 deg C for all intents and purposes.....If much higher ,then stick a small sample in the fridge until it cools down to 20 deg C :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:59 pm

Temp Correction- viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2864
There is also a downloadable version so you don't have to be online to use it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

All sounds good to me otherwise.

Heads are always at the start and tails are always at the end, the first 150ml you take off can be called fores or foreshots.

Let air before cutting - 24hours. Also if you are making neutral then it helps to buy some spring water to dilute with, failing this then you can let some tap water sit out over night (loosely covered) to let the chlorine and shit evaporate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby SBB » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:39 am

Did you make sure to leave your newly built Bok open to atmosphere at the reflux condenser end? Just checking for safety sake.
In other words it cant be sealed at that end.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Furynfear » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:50 am

Sure did sbb. Drilled a hole in the top. Reading that doc up the top the gent posted for me it say to let it reflux for an hour before opening the tap to a drip. Is that correct
Furynfear

Postby C2H6O » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:00 am

Ill have to let someone else answer that one mate as i'm still green and haven't had the opportunity to deviate much from the instructions.
If you are able to a picture of your rig would be great, someone may be able to give you some advice on it or if not it would still be great to check it out.

Cheers
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby BIG D » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:53 am

I have a 2" boka and I run it like this . Charge the boiler attach still insert thermometer turn power on , connect coolant lines check for leaks , close needle valve allow it to run to full temp and stabilize 30 mins after 78 odd degrees is reached now open needle valve to 1 drop per second take 150mls discard, now start collecting at 1 or maybe 2 drops per second in 200ml cut jarsrun like this until temp rises and collection jar smells like arse this is the onset of tail , shut it down do cuts next day. :handgestures-thumbupleft: hopefully this helps
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby SBB » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:53 am

Furynfear wrote:let it reflux for an hour before opening the tap to a drip. Is that correct

Correct :handgestures-thumbupleft: Some people do let them run for a lesser time. I guess it depends to some extent on your experience and your still.

Furynfear wrote:Teaspoon each jar and discard head and tails for the next wash. Take alcometer readings of each jar.

If its making your cuts your talking about there, an alcometer probably wont help much. Your nose and sense of taste are the only tools that can help you here.
Watering a small sample from each jar down 40%ish or less will help you distinguish the different smells and tastes. Heads will have more burn and a harsher smell. Tails will smell musty, think wet dog/cardboard
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Furynfear » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:06 am

Am I doing cut jars the whole way through or only really for the 1st and last litre of the batch. So say for a 4 litre batch. On average how much would I discard. I heard people saying 100ml cuts and things like that.
Furynfear

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:21 am

Collect your whole run in 300ml (or thereabouts) jars. Empty, cleaned beer bottles are perfect.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Andy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:55 am

Furynfear wrote:Am I doing cut jars the whole way through or only really for the 1st and last litre of the batch. So say for a 4 litre batch. On average how much would I discard. I heard people saying 100ml cuts and things like that.

definitely while learning do cuts the whole way through. after a bit of practice you can do jars, larger collection, jars if u know about when your hearts start coming through- that being said its just as easy to keep going with jars and being sure.

i cant comment on the cuts you should make as i haven't used a T500, but remember anything you don't take now can be added to the next wash, or you can save them up and do a feints run. and its costing very little to make, so i think it pays to be on the harsher side with cuts. if you have that borderline jar you are umming about, its probably not hearts.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby BIG D » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:03 pm

Also don't try to control the temp with your condenser just run enough water to keep the top of your column cool. That way you will know your knocking down all the vapour, with mine about 2 to 3 litres per minute from memory .The best advice I can give you is once everything is working and your takeoff speed is right. Leave shit alone even though it is tempting :handgestures-thumbupleft: by the way have you done a cleaning run yet?
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby Furynfear » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:21 pm

Doing that tonight. Got the vinegar all ready lol
Furynfear

Return to Beginners Questions