Mac Rum. Yeast floaties (3rd gen) and other rum questions

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Postby George.bryant.nz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:06 am

Hi All,

Have got my 3rd generation of Mac Rum fermenting, lifted the lid to see if it had settled down yet so that I can run it on the weekend.

For some reason it looks like a few bits of yeast are floating at the top...

Should I be concerned?

I also have about 14L from the first couple of spirit runs, how many L do I require for a stripping run (do I do a stripping run through the reflux? or run it all through the pot head?).

George
George.bryant.nz

equipment: Copperhead combo boiler, copperhead reflux head, copperhead pot head, air still, 2 x cooper fermenters, 1 x imake fermenter. Hydrometers, alchometers and various other bits and bobs.

Re: Mac Rum. Yeast floaties (3rd gen) and other rum question

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:14 am

Bits of yeast floating at the top may be an infection, but probably nothing to worry about...

Your terminology is on the piss as well, you've done 2 STRIP runs, your final run is called a SPIRIT run :) how much you need for a spirit run depends on the still... If you're running electric elements, the boiler has to be full enough to keep the elements covered at all times. On gas it doesn't really matter.

Run it slowly through your pot for a nice full rum. If you run if through the reflux you should end up with something like Bacardi.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby George.bryant.nz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:39 am

Infection *sigh*, hope not!

My Terminology is indeed on the piss, got the two mixed up while typing (please you know what I was talking about though.

I have a 30L boiler with 2 x 1000w elements (can be switched between 1000w or 2000w).

How many generations do you recommend before running them all?
George.bryant.nz

equipment: Copperhead combo boiler, copperhead reflux head, copperhead pot head, air still, 2 x cooper fermenters, 1 x imake fermenter. Hydrometers, alchometers and various other bits and bobs.

Postby Andy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:09 pm

well for a 30L boiler you probably want to have 25L of low wines in there at under 40%.
so if u will probably have enough after the 3rd generation. plus since it looks like infection i would chuck out the dunder and start again. though i would use about 50% of the back-set to start the new lot off
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby OzKev » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:59 pm

Post a pic of the wash, sometimes yeast and also proteins can coagulate forming masses. Also have a taste test, if it taste ok, then it is ok.
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby tipsy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:46 pm

George.bryant.nz wrote:Infection *sigh*, hope not!

I wouldn't be too concerned, yeast can look manky sometimes.

I'm with Kev. Post a pic if you can
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:18 pm

If you suspect an infection then just strip it as soon as you can ....basically a Rum wash will ferment out in 3 days so Run it ASAP .

Start another batch with fresh yeast .The dunder will be fine as you will have boiled the fuck out of it anyway .The Generation comes from the Dunder not the yeast bed.

I used to reuse yeast bed but don't bother anymore ....Can't see the point in saving a few buck worth of yeast each batch

If you have to wait a while between stripping and starting a new batch then just reboil your Dunder to sterilize it
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:06 pm

Yummyrum wrote:The Generation comes from the Dunder not the yeast bed.

I used to reuse yeast bed but don't bother anymore ....Can't see the point in saving a few buck worth of yeast each batch

Sorry YR got to disagree with you here.. The yeast will develop into it's own "house yeast" after a few gens, being exposed to the atmosphere, the lees tend to pick up wild yeast and other organisms that assist in the distinct flavour of a multi-gen wash, each being different from each household. I think some of the flavour can come from the yeast in generations, and this is why it is called generations.. because you are continuing the yeast onto another growth phase.

I agree that starting a wash with just dunder as the "generation" component will impart a lot of the flavour but also reckon that your skipping an integral step in the process by discarding the yeast from previous gens.

As for the OP I have kicked off previously infected washes before and had them go on for many gens with no problem, it's not about saving money at this stage but more so about possibly getting something that is unique in flavour (from the infection itself) if you like the flavour after you do the strip (have a nip during hearts) then you may be onto something special.

I doubt the lees are going to bunch up like dried yeast at 3 gens in, though pics would help.. I think a rum wash is perfect for good strong yeast activity and it has a definite chance of overcoming an infection.

I have had some good hootch come from an infected wash, sometimes down the drain is not always the best place.

EDIT: Even if you siphon off the wash and run that, add the hot dunder back to the lees to kill off the yeast (and possibly the infection) you can use this as a nutrient for the next gen. I believe this would be closer to generations than not using lees at all.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby George.bryant.nz » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:16 am

George.bryant.nz

Postby George.bryant.nz » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:16 am

George.bryant.nz

Postby George.bryant.nz » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:19 am

There we go, sorry about the average pics. What do you guys think? Urrazeb I think I'll go with your suggestion about adding the hot dunder back to the lees.
George.bryant.nz

Postby P3T3rPan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:03 pm

Nice selfie George
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby OzKev » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:24 pm

The blobs/clumps look ok, is there a film on the surface?
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby MacStill » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:37 pm

P3T3rPan wrote:Nice selfie George

Dont drop the fone :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby George.bryant.nz » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:40 pm

No film on surface and it's in the still as I type this.
George.bryant.nz

Postby George.bryant.nz » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:41 pm

Probably would be utterly infected if I did drop the phone
George.bryant.nz

Postby Fed » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:54 pm

Urrazeb wrote:
Yummyrum wrote:The Generation comes from the Dunder not the yeast bed.

Sorry YR got to disagree with you here.. The yeast will develop into it's own "house yeast" after a few gens, being exposed to the atmosphere, the lees tend to pick up wild yeast and other organisms that assist in the distinct flavour of a multi-gen wash, each being different from each household. I think some of the flavour can come from the yeast in generations, and this is why it is called generations.. because you are continuing the yeast onto another growth phase.

I agree that starting a wash with just dunder as the "generation" component will impart a lot of the flavour but also reckon that your skipping an integral step in the process by discarding the yeast from previous gens.

As for the OP I have kicked off previously infected washes before and had them go on for many gens with no problem, it's not about saving money at this stage but more so about possibly getting something that is unique in flavour (from the infection itself) if you like the flavour after you do the strip (have a nip during hearts) then you may be onto something special.

I doubt the lees are going to bunch up like dried yeast at 3 gens in, though pics would help.. I think a rum wash is perfect for good strong yeast activity and it has a definite chance of overcoming an infection.

I have had some good hootch come from an infected wash, sometimes down the drain is not always the best place.

EDIT: Even if you siphon off the wash and run that, add the hot dunder back to the lees to kill off the yeast (and possibly the infection) you can use this as a nutrient for the next gen. I believe this would be closer to generations than not using lees at all.

This might explain what's happening with my third gen, i usually clean the wash bucket between gens, last week i didn't and have the ssme floaty bits, sso should i stop cleaning until i start the gens again.
Fed

equipment: 25L off the rack with 2 inch pot from Mac

Postby twobottles » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:22 pm

Picture 2 really is a superb photo.
twobottles

equipment: 50 mm pure distilling reflux still, extension with extra scrubbies, now triclamped to a 50l keg with a triple ring gas burner. 2" modular shottie pot still!

Return to Beginners Questions