Ideas on Design....

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Ideas on Design....

Postby pochine » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:31 am

Im really stuch on deciding on what still build I should start. I want to make a mixture of spirits. Mainly Rum, but I also want the option to make neutrals like vodka etc. I am interested in the Boka 2" still but I am really stuck an whic to choose. I also want a cheap and easy build. I have heard good thing about the boka.

Anyone have any recommendations?
pochine

equipment: None yet...

Re: Ideas on Design....

Postby Dominator » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:10 am

IMO if you mainly want rum I would build a pot still. You can still make a passable vodka for flavoring using a pot still, you just need to run it 4+ times.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby mymumsaidimcool » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:58 am

pochine wrote:Im really stuch on deciding on what still build I should start. I want to make a mixture of spirits. Mainly Rum, but I also want the option to make neutrals like vodka etc. I am interested in the Boka 2" still but I am really stuck an whic to choose. I also want a cheap and easy build. I have heard good thing about the boka.

Anyone have any recommendations?

correct me if im wrong but isnt a boka mostly for neutral?

unless you add a liebig to the outtake (and not use the cold finger in the boka), your condenser is going to take out all flavour isnt it?
mymumsaidimcool

equipment: FSD pot still + 1 sight glass & bubble plate (more to come) 50l Keg boiler

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:08 am

I'll correct you :)

You have to use the reflux coil... If you don't, you're going to have alcohol vapour shooting out the top of your column.

Bokas are a Liquid Management still... You control the offtake with the needle valve. The condenser doesn't take flavour out, it just condenses the vapour. If you want to run a Bok as a pot, just open the needle valve right up and off you go.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:34 am

Yeah Boka can do both, you will need to remove the packing and open the valve to run as a pot.

But they are painfully slow to run, look up some of the Boka threads.. iv'e heard run times of up to 16 hours!! 8-}

If you give us an idea on budget instead of "cheap" we may be able to offer more info, but generally speaking cheap won't get you into both worlds.

Choose which you want more - rum & whiskey or neutral, the choices from there are much easier.

I started with a pot and saved up for 2 yrs for a bubbler, thats one way to do it. Or there are plenty of glasser builds which can be quite cost effective, though you would need to reasearch these considerably to see if it is the right design for you or not.

If you got the cash, go straight for a bubbler build. :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:58 am

Or you can build a Bok/pot. Use a common column, and build a basic pot head (2" 90°, reducer, Liebig) and a Boka head to triclamp on the top.

Here's mine: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4477&start=20

I just haven't got around to finishing the Boka side of it yet though haha
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Andy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:45 am

cheap and easy build = pot still. and you will make some delicious rum with that. just no/shitty neutral
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby bt1 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:54 pm

Think of it as a progression, get a pot still done and start making the rums.

Neutrals on a pot are a waste of effort so build the Boka over time with no pressure to build taking time.

You won't get both styles of good quality from a single still unless you really step up to a modular bubbler.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Sam. » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:05 pm

bt1 wrote:Think of it as a progression, get a pot still done and start making the rums.

Neutrals on a pot are a waste of effort so build the Boka over time with no pressure to build taking time.

You won't get both styles of good quality from a single still unless you really step up to a modular bubbler.

bt1

:text-+1: I reckon this is the best way if you are going to build and you want it cheap :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby punchy21 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:07 pm

How about a VM? A better still to convert to pot mode and vice versa.

Running a boka in pot mode is a pain in the arse...
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby pochine » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:38 pm

OK, so the consensous is to build a pot still. But this doesn't have the ability to produre neutrals, right? I want the flexability to do both. Am I asking too much? Does this require two seperate stills? What about the Nixon stone still? Look interesting.
pochine

Postby Sam. » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:51 am

pochine wrote:OK, so the consensous is to build a pot still. But this doesn't have the ability to produre neutrals, right? I want the flexability to do both. Am I asking too much? Does this require two seperate stills? What about the Nixon stone still? Look interesting.

You either need a pot and a reflux or do a modular bubbler. They are your sensible options, anything else and you are running the still in a way it is not designed for and will not produce what you really want IMO.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bt1 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:21 am

+1 sam

A Nixon stone is a fairly old design, its a slow beast at best but it does not address either requirement well.

The issues with a single still even a still that has changeable pot and boka heads or a modular bubbler is the drink combination you mentioned.

You'll spend more time cleaning out rum tastes than it's truly worth. The shear effort for preparing for a neutral run after a still was used for rums is significant. Can you see your self:

Pull down and scrub out
Doing a vinegar cleaning run
Doing a steam run perhaps 2 needed
A alco cleaning run
reassembly, testing etc

Most rums makers either have a dedicated still or that's all they do and use their still mainly for that purpose. The other issue here the still design requirements for a good product are totally different for a rum and a neutral...even a modular bubbler would need re configuring.

Reckon I'd previously posted a reasonable game plan... a progression. geez a pot aint going to cost much nor take long to do and your on your way making a good product.
I'd like a bet that during this time you'll see the advantages of a bubbler and discard the Boka design as first choice for neutrals ...but that takes time and understanding to arrive at.

bt1
bt1

Postby pochine » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:51 am

OK, I'm going to build a pot still. Decision made. My primary aim is Rum. So makes sense.

How about this pot still design. Anyone have anything similar? Seems to get good results. http://homedistiller.org/forum/download/file.php?id=12153
pochine

Postby bt1 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:06 am

It's ok solid design but a few thinks could be better...

The fixed bend to the condenser insists on a specific height and position for collecting. Most pot design now would have the condenser at right angles so the elbow can be adjusted up and down for the height you want not a fixed height.

The joiner to the boiler is bit old hat... have a read on "easy flange" it's a simple joining method or Mac's 5star store link had solder in joiners...much easier

The step down to the condenser is ok it works but a cone shaped reducer from 2" to 3/4" offers better vapour flow, costs less to make or buy than the sleeves pictured. I think mac has these reducing cones as well.

The condenser is the std reliable leibig which is fine and works well, simple to build also. There 's a few tricks you can use to improve it a bit...
Turbo tips, waste copper wire coiled inners to improve vapour to surface contact
crimping inner tube etc
T piece sizing and how to file em out for inner tube
these are finer points to consider later when you get to that stage of build...talk about these when your ready...

bt1
bt1

Postby pochine » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:02 am

Thanks bt1. Do you mean the elbow connection from the column to the condenser is adjustable? Or the length of the condenser? What is the reason behind this?

So the condenser should be parallel to the column? Does this allow easier flow of the vapours through the lebig?
pochine

Postby bt1 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:23 pm

Take a look at this link ...Mac built pot...the elbow is used to adjust height to suit your needs rather than got no choice...

reason = convenience for collecting spirit height i.e. the exit point of condenser...you got to get a parrot and cut jars underneath it.

http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3321#p51116

cheers
bt1
bt1

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:21 pm

I have an original handmade 2in mac pot sitting in my shed... :think:

The bubbler has taken front and center :music-deathmetal: I'm afraid I'll never use the pot again :crying-blue:

Make an offer if your keen, even comes with copper wire shoved up there :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

Postby pochine » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:34 pm

Any pics?
pochine

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:27 pm

Yep, here ya go :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Giz a yell if ya want the specs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Urrazeb

Next

Return to Beginners Questions