Blending cuts...

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Blending cuts...

Postby Njb1988 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:03 pm

Hey gang,
I'm using a turbo 500 still. I ran two washes with turbo yeast carbon etc and ended up with about 7.5 lt of 96% alc.
I than watered it down to 40% maybe a tad less and ran it through again. I discarded the first 300 ml as window cleaner and collected the rest in 500ml lots. Ended up with 12 bottles numbered from start to finish and tested each jar to be 95 odd %.
The smell starts off quite strong - acetoney but not so strong then the 6th glass has almost no smell and the tails are quite odorless too.
I'm a bit confused as to where I go from here as previously I would still, filter and mix... Now trying to make some decent spirits. I did read a post about mixing but I can't for the life of me find it again.

Anyway any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance Nathan
Njb1988

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: Blending cuts...

Postby BackInBlack » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:26 am

Have a look at the newbies corner, kiwistillers guide to cuts & fractions :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BackInBlack

equipment: 4 inch 6 plate FSD still
50ltr keg, cooking on gas

Postby Dominator » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:13 pm

Personaly I would leave blending untill you have a bit more experience with cuts. I would just keep what you percive as hearts for now and recycle the rest as feints. As you get more runs under your belt then you can play around with where your heads/tails cuts are.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Muppet » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:09 pm

You will get a better ( more clearer ) smell/ taste if you water a sample down to 40%. It seems to bring the flavor out. I run a t500 for neutral tho i use TPW washes. Different scenario.
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby MacStill » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:30 pm

Dominator wrote:Personally I would leave blending untill you have a bit more experience with cuts. I would just keep what you perceive as hearts for now and recycle the rest as feints. As you get more runs under your belt then you can play around with where your heads/tails cuts are.

:text-+1:

Cuts/blending 101 for newbies right there :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Njb1988 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:42 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought I had to blend the cuts but I've now read that thread and it's now a tad clearer.
I watered it down to 40% and used the cleanest smelling cut ( pretty sure this was my hearts) as a bourbon. I put about 2.5lt into a large demi bottle with about two man size scoops of honey that I made runny with hot.water, I added this, stirred it up and added two packets of bourbon chips. I'll have a look.at it in a few months. The rest I used for different liqueurs and have the start of the heads and end of the tails in the cupboard. That is about 6 bottles of 95% at 500ml each.

Anyway. Keep reading keep learning and keep trying and one day I'll figure it out.
Thanks again.
Njb1988

equipment: Turbo 500

Return to Beginners Questions