How much FSD copper mesh for packing

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

How much FSD copper mesh for packing

Postby Pete8686 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:02 pm

Hey guys just a quick question before I do my next run. I've searched the forum for a specific answer but for the life of me I cant find it. I have a 2' ss boka with a 1m packed section and 8' copper coil. I have previously used ss scrubbers (I was informed I wasnt using enough as I could only takeoff 94-95% at 3-400ml an hr and should be able to takeoff that percentage at up to 1l an hr). I've purchased 500gm fsd copper mesh and was wondering the correct way and how much I would need to use for my column. Any help would be much appreciated :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Pete8686

equipment: 2' stainless boka, copper coil. Homemade pot

Re: How much FSD copper mesh for packing

Postby timboss » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:14 pm

See Mac's post in this thread for a guide to amounts mate

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5953&hilit=off+cuts

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
timboss

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer

Postby Pete8686 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:20 pm

Cheers mate very helpful, so I'll still need some ss scrubbers to make up my 1m of packing. Do you just cut sections, rough them up a bit and roll into wads or unravel it and stuff it into the column?
Pete8686

Postby Brendan » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:18 pm

Have a look at MechWarrior's picture HERE. Mine aren't as neat as that, but you can see the way he's rolled them to fit the diameter of his column (which is HUGE!) :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby TheMechwarrior » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:48 pm

I rolled each one so that it was just oversize.
Then using another cut off section of mesh I inserted my roll and then tightened the mesh "sock" top and bottom.
This compresses the roll just enough to allow to fit inside the column.
If you get it wrong it's easy to take a little of the roll off and equally just as easy to add a bit more.

I then ran the rolls through a full cycle of the dishwasher x 6 including dishwashing powder. Then gave them an acid bath and rinse followed by another caustic in the dishwasher.
Then a sacrificial ethanol run.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby Pete8686 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:05 pm

It doesnt get much more detailed than that, Thanks MechWarrior :handgestures-thumbupleft: I'll give it a whirl tonight, so I need a sacrificial run with the mesh? And after packing my column how much resistance should I have when I blow through it? (Another thing I couldnt find an answer for in the forum 8-} ) I underestimated the amount of mesh I would need so I'll have to make the other half up with ss scrubbers. Sorry for all the silly questions just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before my run
Pete8686

Postby TheMechwarrior » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:43 pm

I didn't apply any real pressure while rolling but it's all subjective, my lack of pressure might be someone elses medium pressure. At the end of the day be consistent and have some faith. I thought mine was packed a little too tight but in the end they worked a treat and my fears were for nought.

You need all the cleaning as the mesh comes in a layer of oil/grease that needs to be removed with hot water and soap.
And yes the sacrificial run is vital.

For me the sacrificial run was a 17L EtOH run whereby I discarded the first couple of litres as follows:
You'll notice the the first 300mL (yellowish) smells so bad it will strip the hair off the back of your nose and temporarily blind you...don't sniff it! :angry-banghead:
The following 600mL (greenish/blue) is tainted with crap from the copper.
The following 600mL you know has some of the stuff above so we don't touch it.
After that the next couple of litres can go into your next run and then after that you should be into your hearts etc.

If you are running a 25L TPW through a 2" still I'd sacrifice the lot :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby Pete8686 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:22 pm

I take it your offering that advice about sniffing it from experience :laughing-rolling: cheers mate I woulda just put it in after a boil n vinegar bath and been like wtf :scared-eek: I got a few litres of feints I'll run through at 30% for my sacrificial run. I have 80l of tpw but running low on neutral so wanna save it for a proper run. Thanks again mate you've been a great help :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Pete8686

Return to Beginners Questions