Airing neutral spirit.

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Airing neutral spirit.

Postby SBB » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:37 pm

Did another run a few days ago and took cuts as I did last time. This time I aired the jars for 48 hours instead of 24 hours. Wow what a difference. I had a much harder time picking the good from the bad because it all smelt so much better (or my nose was playing up :? ) There seemed to be a huge difference after I filtered it too. It tasted and smelt much much cleaner :D
If any other newbies useing turbo yeasts havnt tried this give it a go!
My first tomatoe wash is racked and settling.....cant wait to run it and get an even better result.
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Re: Airing neutral spirit.

Postby MacStill » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:12 pm

Yep I agree on the 48hrs air time, makes a huge improvement :)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:26 pm

I'm wondering now after airing for 48 hours if it wouldn't be better to actually do the smelling and tasting of the cuts after 24 hours. In other words make a decision about what to keep and what not to keep while the difference is more noticeable. Then let it all air another 24 hours or more?????
Another question that springs to mind is .....if I let my feints air more , will I have a better smelling and tasting jar of feints to rerun which will produce a better quality of neutral than if I didn't air them???
Any ideas on the above questions people???????
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:50 pm

I still do my cuts after the 48hrs, shake the jar and sniff.

Most of my feints get watered back to about 35 or 40% and re run, never tried airing them but might give it a crack.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby maheel » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:11 pm

i was thinking of running a little aquarium air pump to bubble in air for 24 or so hrs just to turn the spirit over in the bottle / jar

use a bit of 1/4 copper pipe to get air to bottom so no plastic involved....
also wondered on how it might affect aging ? oak down some neutral then "air" it for a week ?

i have to buy the pump but.... lol
maheel

Postby reknaw » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:07 pm

I have to admit I have never oaked neutral before........... The air pump would make a difference I recon (not that I have anything to back it up)
reknaw

Postby SBB » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:27 pm

maheel wrote:i was thinking of running a little aquarium air pump to bubble in air for 24 or so hrs just to turn the spirit over in the bottle / jar l

Ive been thinking along the same lines Maheel....Im thinking that evaporation might be a problem with that much airflow though :( I guess like alot of things in life...nothing ventured, nothing gained. Let us know how it goes if you go ahead with the idea.
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:40 pm

I think there would be more to gain by running a fan gently across the top of your airing vessels, rather than pumping air into it.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby handzon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:01 pm

airing spirit, i seemd to have stumbled across this but agree with it, i got my self a 750 ml decanter bottle from the brew shop poured in some neutral spirit some tennesee bourbon ecsence and even thru in a couple of whisky chips for good measure, this was out of my very first run .thing is the bung kept popping off i tohught its just a shitty seal, this went on for aobut a week, the spirit was a bit bitety but after it settled down and stopped blowing the bung i noticed a deffinate change to the spirit it had mellowed somewhat and lost a lot of the bite. i have now continued this on purpose by cracking open my demijohns every day after giving them a good shake up closing the lid and repeating.
handzon

Postby Frank » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:19 pm

Hey handzon so, assuming you have done this for a while now, how long do you keep opening the demijohns and shaking the contents before it
doesn't seem to matter anymore
? I know that even leaving the bottled stuff for 2 weeks b4 'tasting' ;) is a huge difference but haven't popped the lid everyday in between.
Frank

Postby SBB » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:55 pm

Im a bit lost here as to why the top would be popping??????? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby Aecos » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:04 pm

If evaporation IS an issue with Having a fan blow across it/using a fish pump, would it leave a lower ABV due to the alcohol evaporating first?
Aecos

Postby reknaw » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:11 pm

If you have high ABV you will loose more alcohol first, if you have 40% alcohol it'll be the same as the water loss i.e it will stay at 40% as it looses water and alcohol at the same rate.

If your airing for a day or two it's not going to effect you to much (temp etc will have an effect) If you are concerned you could put a coffee filter over the top of the jar and you'll be right ;)
reknaw

Postby Woodsy71 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:56 pm

Was sipping some of my vodka tonight and got to thinking how clean it is.

$6 a litre!!

Beat that Dan Murphy's :))

Made me realise just how crucial due process is to achieve a quality product, in particular airing your take.

Airing makes such a difference to your final product. 48/72 hours really helps to allow any of the fusel alcohol to evaporate.

I love this hobby :-D
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby Darwin award » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:35 am

left my cut jars under the AC once.....next day they were near empty...Angels had a pissup that night.,..
Darwin award
Site Donor

equipment: Reflux still 1x store bought 1x home made copper 1 x eBay pot still....1 FSD Neutralizer set up and happy in it's new home

Postby Kenster » Tue May 02, 2017 7:30 pm

I'm with Woodsy, at 6 bucks a litre... this is how i see it. We all seem to worry about the 'Angels', well i dont. I may sound dumb or a bit indulgent, but as i am still learning, i am prepared to sacrifice some product. In saying this, i decant hearts into 750ml wine bottles and store them with the lid off. Every week or so i wander past and give them a random sniff and have found that even after a few months, uncovered, i lose a very small amount to evaporation but the smell is almost non existent. Congeners be gone. Even at an un diluted ABV my losses appear insignificant compared to the improvement in quality. I really dont drink that much so the stockpile is ever increasing, a bottle here or there is no biggie at six bucks.So, i am convinced that there is a real advantage in long term airing.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Lowie » Wed May 03, 2017 9:20 am

Woodsy71 wrote:Was sipping some of my vodka tonight and got to thinking how clean it is.

$6 a litre!!

Beat that Dan Murphy's :))

Made me realise just how crucial due process is to achieve a quality product, in particular airing your take.

Airing makes such a difference to your final product. 48/72 hours really helps to allow any of the fusel alcohol to evaporate.

I love this hobby :-D

Can't remember the last time I went to Dans to buy a bottle of booze! :happy-partydance:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Return to Beginners Questions