Rice vodka

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Rice vodka

Postby Wobblyboot » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:50 pm

Ok, thanks. Will see if it fires up.
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby moonshinindawg » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:03 pm

Are you trying to say Aspergillus ferments the alcohol?
Because it is a co culture with Saccharomyces.

This is more than just starch conversion, Aspergillus will rip apart everything (Lignocellulosic material) hulls and plant material too.

I can't see this producing a palatable product especially if it's for a neutral, just get some amylases from china

Have a look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtnboJ3Kxeo

That will get you booze from rice without A. niger and it will remain thin
Hit me up if you would like a china source
moonshinindawg

equipment: Offset Valved Reflux

Postby Wobblyboot » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:43 pm

It's in beginners questions for a reason. I haven't done it before so I have no idea what it will do. I have read that is what is used for some rice wines. I know what the amylase is meant to do, that is not what I'm trying here. I will need some in future but not yet, want to try this 1st. Just got home, rice had soaked up all liquid this morn, now can see some on top with a bubble out airlock every now and then.
Wobblyboot

Postby moonshinindawg » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:47 pm

Just in case your not sure what Aspergillus is

At least your starting from a selectively bread strain.

What your doing is similar to how they make ethanol for fuel (or are trying too) from bagass
moonshinindawg

equipment: Offset Valved Reflux

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:52 pm

So that is active in yeast balls or just the enzymes? Simple English this time please.
Wobblyboot

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:05 pm

I didn't know what bagass meant, so I googled it. These were the top couple of meanings
A pimped out punjabi indian man, who drives an 89 camry.
"Look! There goes bagass!"
A game commonly played by Catholic priests; usually involving under aged boys.
"I dare say Father Vittoli, I have the ache in my loins and little johnney appears to be ripe. Lets have a round of Bag Ass, shall we?
Am guessing u meant something else?
Wobblyboot

Postby dogbreath vodka » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:10 pm

Perhaps the spelling is off.
But bagasse is the crushed sugar cane fibre after the juice has been extracted.
Usually it is burnt in the boilers that run the mill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagasse
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Shiftynev » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:24 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:So that is active in yeast balls or just the enzymes? Simple English this time please.

Mate you need to check that attitude before you log in. People are trying to help you and you respond in a disrespectful manner. I don't profess to know anything about dealing with rice (or lots of other things) but, when I ask for help and someone offers advice I don't give them a slap in the face.

If the Mods are unhappy with this, please delete and if what Ive said is unwarranted happy to leave the forum.

Cheers
Shiftynev

equipment: 5 plate, 4" glass bubbler, 600mm packed section, 2"Pot, 2" Boka, 50ltr Keg boiler 2x2400w elements with voltage controller

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:34 pm

Ok, I don't see how that is similar to yeast balls... It's bubbling slowly but regularly now. Has 5l of liquid now on bottom with rice floating on top. I did start it off under 20c as I read that it likes cold ferment. It's 22c now.
Wobblyboot

Postby WalterWhite » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:58 pm

My understanding of the whole rice vodka thing is that you are essentially fermenting some Sake and then distilling it in to a vodka.
A simple google search regarding Sake comes up with te following;
"Brewing sake requires rice, water, yeast, and, finally, one more essential component: a mold native to East Asia called Aspergillus oryzae. We have this critter to thank for black bean sauce, soy sauce, miso, and other cultured food products of Asia. A. oryzae releases an enzyme that breaks down complex carbohydrates into simple sugar. "
Best way to find out of something works... Try it for yourself! I commend you for doing that.
When you think the guys on here are having a go at you just have a think about what is actually being said and try to take it in context rather than personally. We all like to debate and learn and advise so it's natural that ideas will clash... Just be prepared to take the advice for what it is and don't start slinging mud :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WalterWhite

equipment: 35L Digiboil with power control, 2” copper pot combo with optional extended column.

Postby Sam. » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:02 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:I didn't know what bagass meant, so I googled it. These were the top couple of meanings
"I dare say Father Vittoli, I have the ache in my loins and little johnney appears to be ripe. Lets have a round of Bag Ass, shall we?

:laughing-rolling: Well there you go, you learnt something today!
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:12 pm

Please, at least find out what yeast balls are before commenting. Sake looks very time consuming and not what I'm looking for, it's more like sochu. Iv done a lot of research on this and think it can work, I'm gunna keep 1 fermenter going on this. only positive comments on how to make it work with rice and balls would b appreciated. Temps, diff rice, nutrients, anything helpful.
Wobblyboot

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:21 pm

And if u don't learn something new every day then life would b boring Sam, just somethings u don't wanna know :text-lol:
Wobblyboot

Postby Sam. » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:24 pm

There are a couple of real good threads here of people that have tried it before but I don't think there was any conclusive evidence if it was successful or not :think:

Good luck with the endeavours it looked like hard work to me, would be interesting to try the end result though
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:32 pm

Iv seen lots of threads on diff sites about rice. Only 2 about using balls. Everything Iv researched about them since looks promising.
Wobblyboot

Postby maddogpearse » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:43 am

Wobblyboot wrote:I didn't know what bagass meant, so I googled it. These were the top couple of meanings

There is no word that urban dictionary doesn't have an answer to! :laughing-rolling:
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby Sam. » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:48 am

Have you seen this thread?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Wobblyboot » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:21 am

Yep, was one of the 1st posts about it that I came across. Is my understanding that sake uses active mould, in yeast balls the mould is dead but the enzymes are still active. I'm doing this in dining room, the odour is going thru whole house, a sweet rice smell, very noticeable as u come thru front door. It seems to be going as planned so far :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wobblyboot

Postby Wobblyboot » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:01 pm

I drank all of that in 4 days with help from a mate 8-} was more like rice whiskey, was very smooth :handgestures-thumbupleft: life got in the way but back into this now. This time is 4kg rice, big handful of rice hulls to help with draining and full pack of balls crushed. Temp is set between 23-25 in 25l fermenter..slowly bubbling away and will see how it goes
Wobblyboot

Postby EziTasting » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:26 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:I drank all of that in 4 days with help from a mate 8-} was more like rice whiskey, was very smooth :handgestures-thumbupleft: life got in the way but back into this now. This time is 4kg rice, big handful of rice hulls to help with draining and full pack of balls crushed. Temp is set between 23-25 in 25l fermenter..slowly bubbling away and will see how it goes

I'm guessing it didn't have time to mature on oak ... of any kind?!?!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions