Beware Brewshop Weldless Elements

Discuss safety issues here.

Re: Beware Brewshop Weldless Elements

Postby Andy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:33 pm

i sent kegking the email below. mainly for shits and giggles, as I expect nothing to arise from it.

"Hello

This is a photo of my kegking 2200 watt element. It is approximately 4 months old and has been used 6 times.

*photo inserted*

It looks like the casing around the wires have melted. Is it still safe to use?

Regards"
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Sam. » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:44 pm

Andy wrote:i sent kegking the email below. mainly for shits and giggles, as I expect nothing to arise from it.

"Hello

This is a photo of my kegking 2200 watt element. It is approximately 4 months old and has been used 6 times.

*photo inserted*

It looks like the casing around the wires have melted. Is it still safe to use?

Regards"

Will be interesting to see their reply ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby haze » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:38 am

One of mine went BANG. Bloody loud it was and i was less than a metre away. Scared the shit outa me. They were supposed to be the new style ones that had resolved the issue. I bought about 8 months ago and had done less than a dozen runs.

I emailed the supplier and they sent me out 2 new ones and said these ones have resolved that issue. Have received them its BS.. they look exactly the same.

Fucking thing blew up my SSR voltage controller as well.
haze

equipment: 3" boka SS, 50lt keg, copper scrubbers,insulated column, 1/4" takeoff, 2 x 2200w elements with heat controller

Postby crow » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:57 am

Think I'd be cutting my losses here and getting something less likely to kill you (fuck that)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Brendan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:20 am

Damn now this has got me worried :think:

Mine run hot and I turn the voltage down on the controller slightly and they cool again. I have a new keg off getting welded sockets, but was planning to continue using the weldless ones for a Hot Liquor Tank.

I had thought that only running them for 30 mins or so to get my 60 deg strike water would be okay, but now people are having blow ups after 10 mins in.

Not to make these elements seem any better, but I find the cables are extremely hot to touch at 10 Amp, but reduced to 7 or 8 Amp they cool down very quickly. So it's definitely the cable thickness, being under-engineered. I might try a couple of brews with the HLT, and run them at 7 Amp to heat the water...but they will never be in my still again :naughty:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby MacStill » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:46 am

Is there anybody that has not had a problem with these elements ?

This is just crazy and amazing nobody has been killed :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:55 am

As desperate as I am to take a shortcut or two and to save some money, reading this thread made it super clear to me that there was NO WAY I could take a risk on my safety by buying these. A few posts in (and a few posts on Aussie Home Brewers) showed that very few people had these working without problems - and more importantly without serious risk to life and limb.

Electrics, water, pure ethanol vapour... :scared-eek:
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby bear74 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:55 am

I have one in my keg and so far no problems. after reading some of these stories I am seriously thinking of changing to avoid a horror story of my own :scared-eek: what are the best elements available?
bear74

equipment: handmade copper pot and parrot,
50L keg and element
220L fermentors

Postby Kimbo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:57 am

bear74 wrote:I have one in my keg and so far no problems. after reading some of these stories I am seriously thinking of changing to avoid a horror story of my own :scared-eek: what are the best elements available?

Check out the Co-Op mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Edit: just PM MacStill ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:58 am

They tell me theres a bloke in wa has good ones ;-) :D
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby MacStill » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:59 am

Kimbo wrote:
bear74 wrote:I have one in my keg and so far no problems. after reading some of these stories I am seriously thinking of changing to avoid a horror story of my own :scared-eek: what are the best elements available?

Check out the Co-Op mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Nar they're here mate ;-)

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=3048#p45210
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Andy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:33 pm

KEE DOERY wrote:From: keedoer
To: andy

Hello Andrew,

I am very sorry about that. It looks like you have one of our old design units. We had a lot of issues with the old ones where the nichrome heating wire was installed too close to the back of the element and too much heat was transferred to the cord of the element. It’s best if we replace it with a new unit.

Do you still have the receipt? Or do you know when you purchased it and we will look the order up on the system.

Kee Doery

Andy wrote:From: andy
To: keedoery

Hi Kee

Unfortunately I do not have the receipt. I purchased it from TWOC brewing supplies in Bibra Lake WA, either the last week of September, or the first week of October.

Regards,

KEE DOERY wrote:

To: andy

Hello Andrew,

No worries. Please just send us your address and we will forward you a replacement.

Kee Doery

Huh, thats cool. Looks like I will live to brew another day. I will keep everyone posted as to how this one goes.
hopefully i will be able to get the old one out haha
Andy

Postby MacStill » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:35 pm

So in other words they didnt get you the first time, here's another so you can try again 8-}
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Andy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:44 am

haha mac. so cynical. I'm sure these new and improved ones are more Improved then the last new and improved ones :-D
Andy

Postby unsub » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:07 am

That is the exact same response I got when I contacted them about my faulty one. They sent me a new improved model that lasted less time than the old model before melting.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby crow » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:19 am

Be asking for my money back if it was me
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby jord4231 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:25 pm

Guys sorry to dig up an old thread but I've just installed a second element to my boiler :) now I know you all know how bad keg king elements are but the iec cord on the keg king elements , the earth is not connected! :o :scared-eek: (meaning it is not connected to the metal stainless part of the element at all!)

I have just installed a 5 star element and put some water in the boiler and did a test between the 5star and the keg king.
There is NO comparison I know the 5star is 300watt more but it is SO much hotter and quicker. Not only that now my boiler is earthed!

I am only using the keg king element till it fails for extra heat during warm up (and because I was too broke to buy 2 new elements just at the moment) then it will be replacing with another 5star.
5star element Worth every cent!
jord4231

equipment: Reflux still

Postby sp0rk » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:30 am

jord4231 wrote:Guys sorry to dig up an old thread but I've just installed a second element to my boiler :) now I know you all know how bad keg king elements are but the iec cord on the keg king elements , the earth is not connected! :o :scared-eek: (meaning it is not connected to the metal stainless part of the element at all!)

Pics/proof?
Not saying you're lying, but this is a pretty big allegation, as I'm pretty sure by law the earth needs to be connected if it's a ready for use product
A lot of people (me included) have been trying to get KK to admit to the problems with these elements for some time now, not just replace them and come out with a "new design" every year.
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby jord4231 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:38 am

I'll post some pics from the ground pin on the IEC to the keg with my multi meter on continuity check if you like. Maby others with these elements may want to check their connection too unearthed metal with liquid and power is dangerous
jord4231

Postby jord4231 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:02 am

Ok The first picture is of the continuity check from the Ground pin to the element nut (on my other element) on the stainless drum (I Have checked from the nut to the top of the keg and I have continuity but not from the earth pin)

I apologise for how crap these pics are but trying to hold 2 probes and a camera phone and angeling the phone so the flash doesn't wash out the multimeter screen isn't so easy

Also you may be wondering why my element is covered in silicone where the cord goes in. After replacing the element last time because of the wires breaking I filled it up with silicone to try help the wires from being twisted around in there whilst cleaning my boiler! this was done from new.

earth.jpg

The second picture is to show my meter and element is working and a resistance check of the element.

resistance.jpg

If I'm not trying to slam keg king products infact I made a 5 tap keg fridge from all their products . lines taps temp controller... and other than a few issues I had with plastic taps (chrome coating coming off, they sent me new taps with out coating) Its been great.

I just wanted to warn people of my findings with my element. Do I have a faulty one.... who knows or are they all like this? either way I encourage people to check their element no matter what they are using is earthed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jord4231

PreviousNext

Return to Safety Discussion