Methanol testing

Discuss safety issues here.

Methanol testing

Postby Supersmartan » Tue May 15, 2018 4:36 pm

Hello learned distillers

Was just wondering.....on U-Tube lost of people done test for methanol, like blue is ok, red is lead ...no good aso, however
I did my own test to see, low and behold.....mentholated spirits burn ....blue....??? what ?? so does my spirits ...of cause, I know you can't drink it
but that's very confusing.......some one enlighten me Please !!
And yes ....I know how to do cuts and all that, so I don't need a topic on that.....still learning, do more reading than distilling sometimes hm !!!
So what's the answer.......???
Chris

PS: Thanks for a wonderfull......friendly forum.....I have learned so much in ashort time from here, so a heartfelt big THANKS ALL.
Supersmartan

equipment: airstill, tons of home brewing equipment

Re: Methanol testing

Postby Doubleuj » Tue May 15, 2018 4:52 pm

Don’t believe too much you see on YouTube
Quick answer is that the “metho” you buy nowadays is actually industrial ethanol, so, it should burn with a similar flame as your well cut spirit.
Doubleuj

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby coffe addict » Tue May 15, 2018 5:25 pm

:text-+1: and I'll add that the store bought has a bittering agent added that's very hard to separate from the ethanol and renders it completely undrinkable
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby db1979 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:51 pm

Methylated spirit used to be 95% ethanol with 5% methanol. The methanol was added to deter people from drinking it. In Australia now, just as coffee addict says methylated spirits has a bittering agent, but no methanol. The blue flame colour is characteristic of an oxygen containing fuel burning in air. Methanol and ethanol both contain oxygen and this causes them to burn cleaner than many other organic molecules.
db1979

equipment: 4" 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates) on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Virtually retired: 2" 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses) on a 7.6L boiler (SS stock pot with SS mixing bowl lid), 2000 W.

Postby wynnum1 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:34 pm

95% ethanol with 5% methanol if your job used methylated spirits not very pleasant probably why methanol is not being using.As a fuel for transport. fumes give you a headache . would be very unpleasant in heavy traffic.
wynnum1

Postby Supersmartan » Tue May 15, 2018 8:18 pm

Thanks all

Just wondering, that's all, and yes....U-tube is full of misinformation, however thanks to all

Really really like this forum
Supersmartan

equipment: airstill, tons of home brewing equipment

Postby warramungas » Wed May 16, 2018 9:18 am

wynnum1 wrote:95% ethanol with 5% methanol if your job used methylated spirits not very pleasant probably why methanol is not being using.As a fuel for transport. fumes give you a headache . would be very unpleasant in heavy traffic.

Plus all the numpties that would drink it bittering agent or not. That's dedication to hard core alcoholism!
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Return to Safety Discussion