The never ending discussion of lead content of brass

Discuss safety issues here.

Re: The never ending discussion of lead content of brass

Postby P3T3rPan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:03 pm

I say it again, like a stuck record
Lead. ITS A FUCKEN ACCUMULATIVE POISON
It builds up inside you. Little by little.
Just like DDT and mercury and strontium 90
Over here there was a tv campaign to encourage people to discard the first few mls of water from their tap for drinking because Some places in the world only pay lip service to expected standards of lead level in tapware
So you can quote me all the New Legislation you like
(I am told that you can drink a little foreshots as well but I don't see many trying it)

And I am a plumber so somewhat informed (latin = plumbum = worker of lead)
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby garouda » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:36 pm

P3T3rPan wrote:I say it again, like a stuck record
Lead. ITS A FUCKEN ACCUMULATIVE POISON
It builds up inside you. Little by little.
Just like DDT and mercury and strontium 90
Over here there was a tv campaign to encourage people to discard the first few mls of water from their tap for drinking because Some places in the world only pay lip service to expected standards of lead level in tapware
So you can quote me all the New Legislation you like
(I am told that you can drink a little foreshots as well but I don't see many trying it)

And I am a plumber so somewhat informed (latin = plumbum = worker of lead)

Sorry to rekindle the debate. In the past, the water inlet in each house in my country was made of lead (plomb in French, from Latin Plumbum, plumber= Plumbarius), indeed, that's the reason why craftmen are still called plumbers nowadays. This was "acceptable" because water was hard and a calcium carbonate shield quicly isolated the lead. However, this was 100% lead.
Now pure copper TP2 whose main composition is Cu and Ag (total >=99.85%), still has Pb in it but less than 0.005%.
Someone above didn't want to go into calculations and rejected any lead as a matter of principle, so also copper???
I do not want to argue with any one, but my problem is the following; I could hardly find copper fittings around my place (needed mainly for my parrot, only one 28.6x1.0mm 45 Degree Elbow goes to the vapour line). On the other hand, pipes are made of 100% copper, the column itself being SS. So I looked on Ebay and found a supplier... In China... But when the parts arrived, it was obvious they were made of red brass, not pure copper.
"It should also be understood that all brass “lead-free” parts may still contain trace amounts of lead, but no more than the 0.25% mandated by the law, so the parts should be labeled clearly to avoid confusion." from https://www.directmaterial.com/lead-free-brass-what-is-it-why-buy-it.
According to Wikipedia, red brass is also an alternative name for copper alloy C23000, which is composed of 14–16% zinc, a minimum 0.05% iron and minimum 0.07% lead content, and the remainder copper. Pb obviously remaining below the 0.25% limit. I'm attaching pictures I sent to the supplier in order to complain about their fake product description, no news so far...
Does someone have ever tried that kind of "fake" copper (red brass)? :text-thankyoublue:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by garouda on Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garouda

equipment: I am currently building a hybrid versatile still that can be used as fractionning still both LM and VM, as and as pot still stainless steel 3'' column, liebig condenser and coil for the reflux mode

Postby Sam. » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:46 pm

One of the main points here is when you run water through something it doesn’t leech as much as putting a solvent (alcohol) through it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Site Admin

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
2 x 18 Gal boilers
Italian Spiral burner with HP reg.

Postby garouda » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:48 pm

Sam. wrote:One of the main points here is when you run water through something it doesn’t leech as much as putting a solvent (alcohol) through it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks, but this wasn't my question.
I asked whether someone got some experience with those red brass fittings made in China.
How to identify red brass at first sight, the colour is brighter, shiny. Hit a reducer, it rings like a bell while copper will give a round, melower sound.
garouda

equipment: I am currently building a hybrid versatile still that can be used as fractionning still both LM and VM, as and as pot still stainless steel 3'' column, liebig condenser and coil for the reflux mode

Postby Sam. » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:28 pm

garouda wrote:
Sam. wrote:One of the main points here is when you run water through something it doesn’t leech as much as putting a solvent (alcohol) through it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks, but this wasn't my question.
I asked whether someone got some experience with those red brass fittings made in China.
How to identify red brass at first sight, the colour is brighter, shiny. Hit a reducer, it rings like a bell while copper will give a round, melower sound.

No idea mate but best bet would be not to buy cheap shit brass from China :teasing-tease:
Sam.
Site Admin

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
2 x 18 Gal boilers

Postby garouda » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:21 pm

Sam. wrote:No idea mate but best bet would be not to buy cheap shit brass from China :teasing-tease:

Thanks Sam, I wish I could from here in the middle of nowhere :crying-yellow:
garouda

Postby Sam. » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:28 pm

garouda wrote:
Sam. wrote:No idea mate but best bet would be not to buy cheap shit brass from China :teasing-tease:

Thanks Sam, I wish I could from here in the middle of nowhere :crying-yellow:

The best bet is if you have to use it tin the inside with lead free solder so you have a barrier from the brass :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Site Admin

2 x 18 Gal boilers

Postby coffe addict » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:29 am

Hi mate, as I'm sure you've worked out some people are very passionate about lead... For good reason.
We are quite lucky with suppliers in Australia and its easy and convenient to source copper or stainless and avoid brass.

I would like to suggest also "pickling brass" before tinning it with lead free solder.
The pickling process draws the surface lead out of the brass. This should lower the amount of exposure.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Previous

Return to Safety Discussion