Lead in Brass Fittings

Discuss safety issues here.

Lead in Brass Fittings

Postby Icarus » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:46 pm

I have been researching this subject for a while. Research is still on-going, but came across this article of interest from the Hombrew Digest. Item is 9th down in the table of contents.

http://hbd.org/hbd/archive/3903.html#3903-9

cheers,
Icarus
Icarus

equipment: Various

Re: Lead in Brass Fittings

Postby Icarus » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:10 pm

For those who are looking for a way to clean surface lead and passivate the surface of a fitting, a good process is detailed on the web page linked below.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to ... g-fittings

cheers, Icarus
Icarus

Postby Icarus » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:23 pm

I have some further information on lead in brass fittings in Australia.

In accordance with Australian Standard AS3688, all brass fittings used for potable water (drinking and house hold use) must contain no more than 1% lead.

Drainage & waste water brass fittings are a higher lead content.

cheers,
Icarus.
Icarus

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:24 am

What about brass fittings that have been metal plated.
wynnum1

Postby Icarus » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:13 am

Will have to check further on the plated fittings

Icarus
Icarus

Postby ticknaylor » Mon May 21, 2012 10:58 am

My understanding is if it has a 'w' stamped on it then it drz brass and is safe for water however the needle valve i just purchase is a ga needle valve and has no such markings and the supplier has been a pain in the arse telling me the grade of the brass it seems they dont even know
ticknaylor

Postby ticknaylor » Mon May 21, 2012 10:59 am

*gas
ticknaylor

Postby SBB » Mon May 21, 2012 12:28 pm

ticknaylor wrote:My understanding is if it has a 'w' stamped on it then it drz brass and is safe for water

A small problem we have is that we aint putting water through it.......its a mix of fairly strong solvents and other compounds.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby ticknaylor » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:47 am

I was in the local hbs shop other day buying a new alcoholmeter decided to have a look at the brass fitting on the ultra pure spirits still, the copper one with the brass fitting had the exact same stamping as my brass fitting did DRZ brass with w stamp and looked identical to how my fittings looked when i bought them shiny inside but a dark grey on the outside portion obviously no pickling think this whole story is over cooked BS if its water safe ie Drz brass and still making companies are willing to risk huge lawsuits then its probably safe think people should worry more about the various effects associated with drinking our hobby and not the minute amounts of lead obtained from minimal exposure time to corrosive alcohols. Obviously if its only standard grade brass dont use it because it has more lead in it and no leaching protection. Seriously id be more worried bout what maccas puts in your burger than the lead leaching from dr brass with fittings of small surface area and low exposure time. Enough said. Any just my opinion based on my own research. Do your own research and tell me what you think. Cheers
ticknaylor

Postby crow » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:10 am

:text-+1: another point might be the fact that there is not an endless supply of this minute amount amount of lead on the surface and given that spirit is such a good solvent it stands to reason that between ya first cleaning run and ya juckahol run really I would consider any exposed brass pickled , that just me . Thing is everyone has a different idea of what is an acceptable risk and what isn't and thats why these safety issues will get argued backwards and forwards for ever . As long as accurate information is out there so every one can make there own informed decision on what they are comfortable with best to let the individual decide :twocents-mytwocents:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Return to Safety Discussion