Trio died drinking $2 moonshine

Discuss safety issues here.

Re: Trio died drinking $2 moonshine

Postby EziTasting » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:31 am

Reading OP, you'll see the Coroner making this claim:"Ms Barry said in her findings that moonshine is made by distilling liquids containing methanol, such as antifreeze, stove fuel, paint solvent and nail varnish and can contain lead and arsenic."

It's not specific if that's what happened this time, but would suggest some seriously dangerous habits...

I know we have a local indigenous person making moonshine to supply to his cousins and anyone willing to take it. I don't know if he charges for it or not, but I know he's not the most well-read individual so he may very well be making the same type of product...

People are always looking for get rich quick schemes and unfortunately with the ease of being able to buy this equipment at HBS and eBay, this sort of occurrences will always happen!

Perhaps we need to follow the way of Guns in Australia - prove your an active member of a club/society, such as this, and then keep records for auditing. Still don't have the right to sell, so make for own consumption only!

I don't know... people seem to always find ways to by-pass rules... :teasing-tease:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:42 am

EziTasting wrote:Reading OP, you'll see the Coroner making this claim:"Ms Barry said in her findings that moonshine is made by distilling liquids containing methanol, such as antifreeze, stove fuel, paint solvent and nail varnish and can contain lead and arsenic."

i read that as a misrepresentation of the coroners report. in the actual report they say methanol is found in such liquids as anti freeze etc, not that she made alcohol from these things, typical media finding their own spin on things..
Im with Sam, id say there were other things added or other factors at play. a simple turbo sugar wash should not have caused this tragic outcome.

EziTasting wrote:Perhaps we need to follow the way of Guns in Australia - prove your an active member of a club/society, such as this, and then keep records for auditing. Still don't have the right to sell, so make for own consumption only!

:text-+1:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby sp0rk » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:25 pm

I'd gladly pay say $20-$30 and do an online safety training thing to distill for 2 or 3 years (then train again) legally at home.
Stupid assbackwards laws :angry-banghead:
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby EziTasting » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:53 pm

sp0rk wrote:I'd gladly pay say $20-$30 and do an online safety training thing to distill for 2 or 3 years (then train again) legally at home.
Stupid assbackwards laws :angry-banghead:

Thing about online training is that you never know WHO does it!

I could tell you stories that would make your toe nails curl with disgust! But they are getting few and far between with the regular monitoring...

Having said that, they've introduced the VOC (verification of competence) processes in mining which, to my mind, is a good system but, like anything, it's effectiveness can be torpedoed by people not doing the right thing...

It's a vicious circle!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby ed9362 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:17 pm

EziTasting wrote:Reading OP, you'll see the Coroner making this claim:"Ms Barry said in her findings that moonshine is made by distilling liquids containing methanol, such as antifreeze, stove fuel, paint solvent and nail varnish and can contain lead and arsenic."

It's not specific if that's what happened this time, but would suggest some seriously dangerous habits...

I know we have a local indigenous person making moonshine to supply to his cousins and anyone willing to take it. I don't know if he charges for it or not, but I know he's not the most well-read individual so he may very well be making the same type of product...

People are always looking for get rich quick schemes and unfortunately with the ease of being able to buy this equipment at HBS and eBay, this sort of occurrences will always happen!

Perhaps we need to follow the way of Guns in Australia - prove your an active member of a club/society, such as this, and then keep records for auditing. Still don't have the right to sell, so make for own consumption only!

I don't know... people seem to always find ways to by-pass rules... :teasing-tease:

I wouldn't want to go any where close to the gun laws, I could see a 5 litre air still would be all most of us could have, unless you are a government contractor or professional stiller. maybe a few farmers could have a T500. and once they rolled in the genuine need rubbish, it would make it even harder.

maybe more like a drivers licence would be good.
I think if it was totally legal the competitions like they run for beer would be fun for the more accomplished guys.
getting it legal and licensed would probably be pretty easy. just need to start an aussie distillers association. something like the sporting shooters association and go from there
ed9362

equipment: Pure distilling reflux still kit. A few extra fermenters
2" pot still

Postby scythe » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:52 pm

Pretty sure there is already an association like you are describing, Mac is a part of it.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Sam. » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:42 pm

The Australian Distillers Association is for licensed commercial distillers.

Good luck forming an association based on an illegal activity :handgestures-thumbdown:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:49 pm

I would be keen to listen to what our Kiwi bros have ta say,and wether the same problems persist even after legalizeation over there,after 48yrs and seeing or knowing several that have lost and taken lives by legal alcohol I cannot help but think each of us must maintain our own accountability and stop stupid finger pointing wich gets us nowhere fast ,all know when ya buy something that cheap in an allyway ,exactly what ya gonna get and it aint quality trust or respect ,and you all know what ya gonna get from a politition,try checking how many die in Australia from accidental poisoning each year,take it for what it is,a reminder to do ya best and not to make compromises with a hobby that has seriouse risk's to you and all who may drink from your cup. anyhooo ;-) cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:29 am

Sam. wrote:The Australian Distillers Association is for licensed commercial distillers.

Good luck forming an association based on an illegal activity :handgestures-thumbdown:

Would think that they would have used an expert from the industry some very poor evidence given by there expert

Methanol itself has a relatively low toxicity.
Both the heads and the tails contain increased amounts of methanol.

If you drink methanol you will die so how is it low toxicity

How do they stop the hearts from having methanol if the tails have methanol .
wynnum1

Postby sp0rk » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:47 am

wynnum1 wrote:
Sam. wrote:The Australian Distillers Association is for licensed commercial distillers.

Would think that they would have used an expert from the industry some very poor evidence given by there expert

Methanol itself has a relatively low toxicity.
Both the heads and the tails contain increased amounts of methanol.

If you drink methanol you will die so how is it low toxicity

How do they stop the hearts from having methanol if the tails have methanol .

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 33&t=40606
This thread refers to the paper I linked earlier
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby dogbreath vodka » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:53 am

Read Paulinkas comments regarding methanol half way down the page.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 6&start=90

Helped me understand more on methanol.
Good link sp0rk thanks :handgestures-thumbupleft: :text-+1:
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:24 am

wynnum1

Postby rumsponge » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:55 pm

some good info here. Methanol does have relatively low ACUTE toxicity. The problem with reports like this and methanol toxicity in general is that it is hard to evaluate LONG-TERM (chronic) exposure toxicity. From the report it is also clear that all patients had problems with alcoholism (liver cirrhosis), so their ability to metabolize methanol would have been likely impaired.
Just saying that there are many factors to consider.
The methanol levels are definitlety higher than what is allowed in most countries, but you still would have to drink a hell of a lot to die from acute toxicity.
Cheers, RS
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:56 pm

1986 methanol wine scandal in Italy and with the asbestos coming to Australia in building products can you be safe from drinking wine that has been doctored with methanol they seem to have been reselling wine purchased from who knows where the wine they purchased may have been poor quality.
wynnum1

Postby Undertaker » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:29 pm

wynnum1 wrote:Would think that they would have used an expert from the industry some very poor evidence given by there expert

But where would the priority be? Hmmmmmmmmm Expert quotes real fact and figures and disputes how "this" could happen accidently or even on purpose when distilling suitable ingredients for consumption. Or let a reporter who knows fuckall about evidence and facts but makes a great headline story.
This....among others is why I no longer watch the "news" Because its not news reporting anymore. Its headline grabbing attention seeking fuelled by ad placement and advertisers wallets nowadays
Rant off

Not so cheeryPhil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

Postby Redux » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:47 pm

"Ms Barry said in her findings that moonshine is made by distilling liquids containing methanol, such as antifreeze, stove fuel, paint solvent and nail varnish and can contain lead and arsenic."

what the hell?
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:52 pm

Redux wrote:"Ms Barry said in her findings that moonshine is made by distilling liquids containing methanol, such as antifreeze, stove fuel, paint solvent and nail varnish and can contain lead and arsenic."

what the hell?

That's the reporter misrepresenting the coroners report. Page 4 of coroners report says methanol can be found in things like anti freeze and fuels for stoves and paint solvents and nail varnishes.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Redux » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:56 pm

"Doubleuj"
That's the reporter misrepresenting the coroners report. Page 4 of coroners report says methanol can be found in things like anti freeze and fuels for stoves and paint solvents and nail varnishes.

yup... that kind of comment is bloody dangerous...
Last edited by rumdidlydum on Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby Kenster » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:31 pm

2 things,... autopsy showed that they all had failed livers due to cirrhosis...did this particular brew tip them over the edge, or could it have been any binge of other booze, eg box wine?
secondly, i cant recall the article, but was there a mention of the ABV?, was it super strong/un diluted?
Either way, i am with Not-so- happy Phil... media blow up - big time.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:14 am

Severe alcohol withdrawal symptoms not a mention of what happens when you stop drinking can be fatal need to be managed in hospital.
wynnum1

PreviousNext

Return to Safety Discussion